PDA

View Full Version : Peer to Peer speed throttle

sinner
09-06-2005, 09:46 AM
For the last 3 montht my download from ftp sites has been slower than a normal dialup connection, I have a 256kbs flat rate account with my ISP.

When contacted, My ISP said that the slow down was out of there hands and that telecom were at fault.

I contacted telecom and they placed the blame back on to my ISP who still claim it is not there doing.

An example of the Throttle speed, is it took me 8 hours to download the latest 50meg patch for World of Warcraft.

I know of other people who are experiencing the same slow downs and they are on different ISP's

what can be done.

dave_net_nz
09-06-2005, 09:58 AM
not a hell of a lot, basically both the ISP and Telecom were actually correct.

Telecom allocate 24kilobits/sec of bandwidth for each 256k customer... following the old addage that only 1 in 10 will use it at any one time... the problem with this is that traditionally this is the case, but when a new speed grade becomes availible, it is usually filled with technically savvy users, who are more likely to use it 24x7.

The only real solution is to get mah and pah users onboard, that way there is more bandwidth availible to the people who actually want to use the connections.

now above I said that both were correct... and that is true also, Telecom don't limit how that bandwidth is used, and hence have no control over it.

Gotta love a monopoly.

whetu
09-06-2005, 05:44 PM
you say for the last three months...

This could be related to depeering, for example, before depeering, to transfer a file to my friend on cable approx 1 block away would be 4 hops. Me to Wix and then to him.

now to transfer a file to him goes via auckland, global gateway... anywhere between 16 and 28 hops depending...

thanks to all the extra hops between you and the other end of your transfer (be it source or destination) there's bound to be Xtra bottlenecks

Something to think about...

Also check out http://www.ispmap.co.nz (appears to be down at the moment?) to see who your ISP's upstream provider is... some people get better results on particular upstream providers

gibler
09-06-2005, 08:51 PM
I know that Orcon (256K) appeared to be doing this (in the past).
You could only get about 5 kilo bytes / second with FTP at the most but HTTP from the same site was running at full speed.

In fact, even newsgroup (port 119) traffic was running dead slow, until someone turned off the severe traffic shaping after complaints.

Alas, only a fraction of all customers probably use any other port than 80 (HTTP), which ran at full speed.