PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed with XP firewall

spx
09-06-2005, 08:43 AM
I am new to using windows xp firewall with service pak2

The service I use told me to add iexplorer.exe to the eceptions list so the service will work freely.

My concern is this : Doesn't adding iexplorer.exe to the exceptions list allow anyone in through the firewall and on to my computer?

I feel it is like shutting the firewall off.

What affect does adding iexplorer.exe have on the security off my computer?

Any help on this topic is appreciated.

Greg
09-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Iexplorer is your Internet Explorer browser (assuming you use it). You're safe and required to allow your firewall to let it through otherwise you won't be able to use the Internet.

However...
Advice # 1 - get a better firewall and disable XP's built in one, eg Zonealarm or Kerio... both free.
Advice # 2 - get a better browser, eg Mozilla or Firefox, also both free.

Safari
09-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Iexplorer is your Internet Explorer browser (assuming you use it). You're safe and required to allow your firewall to let it through otherwise you won't be able to use the Internet.

However...
Advice # 1 - get a better firewall and disable XP's built in one, eg Zonealarm or Kerio... both free.
Advice # 2 - get a better browser, eg Mozilla or Firefox, also both free.

Note the spelling.

iexplore.exe (no "r" on the end) is the main executable file for Internet Explorer.

iexplorer.exe (note the "r" at the end) is not a legitimate file and is characteristic of infection by a virus or trojan.

Greg
09-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Note the spelling.

iexplore.exe (no "r" on the end) is the main executable file for Internet Explorer.

iexplorer.exe (note the "r" at the end) is not a legitimate file and is characteristic of infection by a virus or trojan.

Oops! Me make big boo-boo!

Thx for being observant Saf.

FoxyMX
09-06-2005, 10:43 AM
The service I use told me to add iexplorer.exe to the eceptions list so the service will work freely.
That sounds very suspicious to me. What "service" are you referring to?

Either someone is trying to trick you into letting their trojan allow them remote access to your computer or they have given you very wrong information.

SurferJoe46
09-06-2005, 06:38 PM
I too have suspicions. I have never had to disable what you are being asked to do for Windows Firewall to work.

Methinks I smell a phish! :annoyed: