PDA

View Full Version : The goods on partitioning.

Cicero
08-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Could I ask what the benifits of partitioning is,and do we all do it?

Jen
08-06-2005, 07:19 PM
There are good benefits. For example when you install your OS and most programs on one partition, then put all your personal files and data on a second partition. This means if Windows needs reinstalling, you can just overwrite the OS partition and all your personal stuff on the other partition remains untouched. For extra large drives, it can make disk defragging faster as you have smaller partitions and can do them one at a time. Having a separate partition also means you can save a ghost image of your system to it which makes recovery of a corrupt Windows so much faster.

I always partition off my /home and /var from / for this very reason (/ is equivalent to C drive in Windows, /home is to My Documents and Settings and /var is where my website stuff lives). Less risk of losing stuff that way. :)

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Well, sometimes u have to partition, as some versions of Windows, wont see a bigger hdd if u dont.

BUT I have partitioned these hdd's, so I can keep updates on one of the partitions. It saves me downloading them again, if I ever format the main partition.

I could burn updates to cd, but programs like Nero have been updated frequently, and it'd be a waste of a cdr (I havent got any cdrw's at the mo).

Altho, I spose I could copy the files I need to the Ipod....

Rob99
08-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Its like another HD, dividing one disk into two or more Drives/storage spaces.

They will show up in My Computer as another HD and can be formated as one.

Some people use them for filling, some for installing more than one OS.

For me I like to add physical HD's instead of partitioning.

I've got three.
One for the main OS and everything, one for music and movies, and one for backups. Also I have a fourth HD in the garrage for 'just incase the house burns down backup'.

[Edit] damn I thought I would be first... maybe second to answer, but not third.

b1naryb0y
08-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Different people will have different reasons for partitioning.

I do it for a number of reasons, the two main reasons being it makes things easier when reinstalling windows and I prefer the organisation it gives me.

Lets say you have a 160Gb Hd partioned into a Windows boot partition **(20Gb) and a Data partition **(140Gb). This allows you to place all of your data into the Data partition and install windows into the Boot partition. When/If the time comes to reinstalling Windows, for whatever reason, you can safely format and reinstall windows onto the Boot partition without fear of deleting everything on your Data partition.

** Only examples, you could of course make it 60/100, 80/80 etc

Other reasons for partitioning include: installing other operating systems onto, Copying your windows installation files onto etc...

pctek
08-06-2005, 07:41 PM
I do. Its tidier. Its easier to do a reinstall. Its easier to Ghost.

Cicero
08-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Thank you all,I really appreciate the info,also the different ideas for partitioning.
To be honest,someone has just part. my hard drive.
I have a 40 gig HD and it has been partitioned into 7 parts,8 gig and 6 of 5 gig,I think they are a bit small,what is your opinion the ideal size,if there is one?

b1naryb0y
08-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Don't start out with a pre determined amount of partitions to create, or size for that matter. Ask yourself what you need the partitions for and go from there.

Rob99
08-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Thank you all,I really appreciate the info,also the different ideas for partitioning.
To be honest,someone has just part. my hard drive.
I have a 40 gig HD and it has been partitioned into 7 parts,8 gig and 6 of 5 gig,I think they are a bit small,what is your opinion the ideal size,if there is one?
I think 7 partitions is over-kill for a 40GB HD, 2 would be better.
1 for the OS and 1 for data.

When you need to rip a DVD that is protected, you have to use @#$%^& program, this can result in more than 5GB of info, you may run into problems.

FoxyMX
08-06-2005, 08:33 PM
They are way way WAY too small. There is no need for so many on such a small hard drive. I agree with Rob - two is sufficient, three at the very most.

As for ideal size, it depends on how large the hard drive is and what you want to store on it.

The forum has an excellent FAQ on partitioning (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.php?faq=pressf1_faq_windows#faq_pressf1_faq_43 ) that may be of some help.

bob_doe_nz
08-06-2005, 09:48 PM
I'd say three or four partitions,
1 for windows.
1 for the kiddies to put stuff on.
1 for other apps and games and such

:2cents:

Elephant
08-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Could I ask what the benifits of partitioning is,and do we all do it?
You might like to think about installing a removable hard drive as well. I have two partitions on a 120 Gig hard drive. The first partition includes the O/S and programs. The second partirion includes all downloads and data I created.

I have a second hard drive which using Norton Ghost is a copy of the first drive.

Cicero
08-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Again I thank you all.
I will digest info and no doubt do the wrong thing,thanks chaps and ladies. ;)

Greg
08-06-2005, 10:54 PM
I'd say three or four partitions,
1 for windows.
1 for the kiddies to put stuff on.
1 for other apps and games and such

I've got my apps and games on seperate partitions. But although I haven't needed to yet, when I reinstall Windows I guess the apps and games partitions will need to be wiped and all programmes reinstalled too?

FoxyMX
09-06-2005, 10:37 AM
when I reinstall Windows I guess the apps and games partitions will need to be wiped and all programmes reinstalled too?
No, that shouldn't be necessary. See the Partitioning FAQ I linked to above for information about that.