PDA

View Full Version : Access and use OE over NetworK?

Winston001
08-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Might be a silly question but is it posible to get into OE from another PC on a network? We have one main PC which contains all our email, but I often want to answer mail while my lovely secretary is using the main PC.

Can I do it remotely over the network? From my desktop?

Helplesss
08-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Me too, would love to know if it can be done, especially sharing the address book

bruciebear
08-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Good question I have same problem. I have to wait until sec can paste and send message from main email address.

berryb
08-06-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't know of a way without using some kind of email server. Outlook Express is not designed to be shared. Someone else might have a way but not me. Have a look at email servers. Any mail client can access them and might be able to do waht you want in a round about way. I tried Capesoft Email Server $30US once. Looked OK for a small business. I got it setup and working easy but I have my own domain name so have different email address. Should be able to set it up so email from one address can be accessed from different PC's and send email as well. Check out http://www.capesoft.com/utilities/EmailServer/CapeSoftEmailServer.htm

Cheers

Winston001
09-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Thankyou Berryb, I'll have a look.

Bejehsus
09-06-2005, 09:33 PM
You could also try remote desktop connection i think you can access email servers from that

Cicero
09-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Might be a silly question but is it posible to get into OE from another PC on a network? We have one main PC which contains all our email, but I often want to answer mail while my lovely secretary is using the main PC.

Could you not work off line and send when server free?

Poppa John
09-06-2005, 10:32 PM

Is this the situation? Maryann & I have totally seperate computers side by side, networked on broadband. Outlook Express is installed on both. Originally whoever went on line first naturally checked for E-mails & downloaded them all. The other computer "Lost" them. So we enabled "Xtra Web Mail ( I think that it is called) You can set a time by the day for all emails to STAY at Xtra.,till either your set day is reached & the Emails are deleted, automatically, or delete them yourself.
Does this help? The only drawback is that your mailbox can fill quickly, with dire consequences.
You can both download all the E-mails, each taking ones you want & deleting the others , which the other person has anyway.
Just out of curiosity, is the "Lovely Secretary" your wife? Visions of blackmail here. Evil PJ :lol:

godfather
09-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Actually using OE in a business environment ...?

< shudders and retches violently (http://www.sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/barf.jpg)and uncontrollably >

I need a cup of tea and a big lie down now.

Rob99
09-06-2005, 11:14 PM
You may be able to shift the store directory for the mail to a shared folder, and setup both computers to use the same one.(this is untested but may work)

Cicero
10-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Actually using OE in a business environment ...?

< shudders and retches violently (http://www.sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/barf.jpg)and uncontrollably >

I need a cup of tea and a big lie down now.
Funny you should say that,it happened to me when someone was making submariners out of mice.
barf.

godfather
10-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Funny you should say that,it happened to me when someone was making submariners out of mice.
barf.

That is a photo of you, taken at that time remember? ....

Winston001
10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
LOL GF and Cicero.

Lots of good ideas. Yes PJ, I could use Webmail instead, or split the downloads between machines, but that is cumbersome. Like most people, we just want to open OE and see the mail from our fans pour in.

At the moment I go to my own PC, compose a reply to an email I have seen on the main PC, email that to our firms address, download it later and address it to the recipient. Not difficult but what a waste of time and effort.

And no PJ you rascal, the lovely secretary is not my wife. :D

Graham L
10-06-2005, 02:49 PM
VPN should work. That would let you log in and do it all as a user on that main computer. (Does the version of Windows on that machine allow more than one user logged on at a time?).

berryb
11-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Another way is to set Outlook Express to not delete the mail from the server for a certain amount of time on all PC's that need access. This way all email will be downloaded to the PC's that need access, users will be able to check, write and send emails and the ISP mail server will delete the email at the decided time. Disadvantage is all users see all in coming mail. To do this go to tools, accounts and find the advance tab. There you will find an option to leave mail on the server. Decide what is a good option, this could be 1 to many days depending on how often you check mail and volume of mail. Just another idea. Cheers

Cicero
11-06-2005, 02:25 AM
That is a photo of you, taken at that time remember? ....

Indeed,but I fear you will not understand why?

Winston001
14-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Another way is to set Outlook Express to not delete the mail from the server for a certain amount of time on all PC's that need access. This way all email will be downloaded to the PC's that need access, users will be able to check, write and send emails and the ISP mail server will delete the email at the decided time. Disadvantage is all users see all in coming mail. To do this go to tools, accounts and find the advance tab. There you will find an option to leave mail on the server. Decide what is a good option, this could be 1 to many days depending on how often you check mail and volume of mail. Just another idea. Cheers

Thanks Berrb. This seems an ideal and simple solution. We have no secrets at work. ;) I'll give it a try.

drcspy
14-06-2005, 10:49 AM
install VNC or 'radmin' these apps allow you to use the other pc as if you are sitting right at it........

berryb
14-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks Berrb. This seems an ideal and simple solution. We have no secrets at work. ;) I'll give it a try.

Set only one PC with the option of deleting mail from the server. All other PC's are set to leave mail on the server. Cheers

Safari
14-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Set only one PC with the option of deleting mail from the server. All other PC's are set to leave mail on the server. Cheers

What is the point in doing that.
If the computer that is not set to leave mail on server gets the mail first the other PC's will not get the email.
All PC's need to be set to leave mail on server if this arrangment is going to be used to ensure they all get the messages.

berryb
14-06-2005, 07:32 PM
What is the point in doing that.
If the computer that is not set to leave mail on server gets the mail first the other PC's will not get the email.
All PC's need to be set to leave mail on server if this arrangment is going to be used to ensure they all get the messages.

Yum, my other post regarding this explains. The PC that is set to delete the email from the server is set to delete mail after 1, 2, 3 or as many days as you like. This way the mail stays on the server so all PC's can access the in coming mail, will only download it once even though the same mail will be on the ISP server until it is deleted by the PC setup to do so at the required period of time. The mail has to be deleted from the server at some point or the mailbox will get fill and the ISP will complain.

Winston001
14-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Works well so far. Only problem is the volume of email jokes etc constantly appearing at my elbow. :D