PDA

View Full Version : My Dream Machine doesn't like Window XP

ahd8888
08-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi, all Computer Masters

Recently, I have build my own dream machine : Pentium 4 (640) LGA775 3.2Ghz, 1G DDR2 533mhz, ASUS P5WD2, Gigabite X600 Pro 128MB PCI-Express X16, 120G Seagate 7200rpm 8mb SATA HDD, Acbel 500W.

Everthing seen alright, boot ok, no funny beep sound and it can install Window 98, upgrade to Window ME. For some reason, it just won't clean install Window XP or upgrade from Window ME to Window XP. What it did was, it started with the Window Setup (in Blue Screen), loading files...starting windows....then all in a sudden it stop (the keyboard freeze) and a screen came up saying.....

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to yr computer. If this is the first time u've been this stop error screen, restart yr computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on yr computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drives controllers. Check yr hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart yr computer. Techinical Information : Stop : 0x0000007B (0xF7C8263C,0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

So I tried to do a chkdsk but it recommended to do a scandisk. Scandisk didn't find anything wrong with the hard drive.

Please help. Thank you in advance. :(

bob_doe_nz
08-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Try Here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324103)

ahd8888
08-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Boot sector virus Issues - can't find virus

Device Driver Issues - The manual said "Sets the configuration for the SATA connectors supported by the Southbridge chip. The AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) allows the onboard storage driver to enable advanced SATA features that increases storage performance on random workloads by allowing the drive to internaly optimize the order of commands. If u want to use SATA hard disk drives as PATA physical storage devices, keep the defaul settig [Standard IDE]. The SATA controller is set to Native mode when this item is set to [RAID] or [AHCI]" Do I still need a controller driver ? Do I still need to press F6 during Windows XP Setup

Hardware Issues - how to check if there is a resource conflict ?

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2005, 04:11 PM
If u have a SATA hdd, (1 hdd), you shouldnt/don't need a disk with SATA drivers on them.

And u dont have to press F6.

This is only for RAID. (If u have 2 SATA hdd's).

I spose it depends what the BIOS has in relation to SATA.

Some BIOS'es have SATA and PATA, or just SATA. Well if u cant get into XP, its a bit hard trying to find out if there's any conflict at all.

I take it, you set the SATA as the bootdisk in the BIOS, and you have 2 connections for the SATA the data cable and the power adaptor, if the power supply doesnt have a SATA power connection on it?

Look here for known causes, for those Stop 0x0000007B errors.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3BQ324103

pctek
08-06-2005, 04:53 PM
If u have a SATA hdd, (1 hdd), you shouldnt/don't need a disk with SATA drivers on them.

And u dont have to press F6.

This is only for RAID. (If u have 2 SATA hdd's).

I spose it depends what the BIOS has in relation to SATA.
[/url]
Yes. It does depend. All the new boards have the choice for sata over IDE properly set out. Older ones don't and then you do have to do F6 and feed XP a driver.
The poblem:
Check you have the correct setup in the BIOS first if installing onto sata..

ahd8888
09-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Yes, all connectors are connected and SATA HDD set to boot priority, otherwise it won't install win98 and upgrade to ME. BIOS SETTING are set as mentioned above. I just can't believe it, I can build this computer up, but can't install Window XP. :groan:
Help....help....get me out of my nightmare.

pctek
09-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Yes, all connectors are connected and SATA HDD set to boot priority, otherwise it won't install win98 and upgrade to ME. BIOS SETTING are set as mentioned above. I just can't believe it, I can build this computer up, but can't install Window XP. :groan:
Help....help....get me out of my nightmare.
Format it so its empty.
Make sure you have the XP sata driver (if needed). If it isn't needed the XP install will find the drive, if it is needed it won't unless you do the F6 thing.
Then try.

ahd8888
10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
It can install win 98 and ME, surely
(1) it doesn't need a SATA driver
(2) Bios set correctly
(3) Nothing wrong with the HDD

No funny beep sound, surely
(1) all connection are correct
(2) no faulty part

Window Xp installation disc is new, straight out of the package, surely
(1) nothing wrong with the disc

what else it could happen?

:help:

CYaBro
10-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Could be faulty RAM.

Test with http://www.memtest.org

99% of the time when I have problems installed Windows XP on a PC it turns out to be the RAM. The other 1% is drivers for SCSI / SATA etc

Myth
10-06-2005, 06:18 PM
These sites may help you out....

0*0000007B Stop error.. (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316401)

Windows XP stop error 0*0000007B (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_xlxv.asp)

Limited OEM driver support stopping XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859/)

wintertide
10-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Try swapping out the SATA cable - it could be having intermittent faults, XP hates it when the cable isn't quite up to scracth but 98/Me don't mind.

mtv663
10-06-2005, 10:25 PM
trnsfer th sata drivers onto a floppy bang it in then restart for some reason with all the tech advances windows still looks for drive "a" got this advise myself yesterday....

ahd8888
14-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Memory test have passed with flying colours. So Ram is good. I suspect Bios setting could be the culprit. Thanks guys for all yr help.

Phil B
14-06-2005, 11:28 PM
We had the same fault with starting xp. it was a trojan horse. we had to scan the system with Avast for dos to find where the file was hiding & then delete it. It does it all without windows even starting. We tried heaps of other scanners with no luck, the system either wouldn't start or the scanner couldn't find it. I got Avast free installed & it's all ok. It could be worth a try.

Agent_24
14-06-2005, 11:51 PM
I had a computer that would do the same thing, load win98 fine but Bsod when loading XP. turned out that while the ram was not faulty it was incompatible with the board/another stick (I don't know which, sorry) but your problem may be similar?

chron
31-08-2005, 07:25 PM
hey did you ever figure this one out? I'm having the EXACT same problem, only I'm installing windows XP retail on a computer (not the upgrade route), and the system is a 3.6 GHz P4, ASUS P5LD2 mobo, 1GB 533Mhz Wintec DDR2, some generic sapphire ATI PCI-Express X16 graphics card, a 40G western digital PATA HD, and a 450W power supply. I think the SATA question is a red herring, since I'm installing on a PATA, but the memory comment got me thinking. It's quite a coincidence that we have such similar memory configurations, and I looked in my mobo manual and Wintec is not really supported. I'm going to try cranking it down to 400 MHz just for kicks and see what happens. PLEASE let me know if you come up with anything!

Joe_Davies
01-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Not sure I'm on the right track here, but doesn't XP have a different file system from 98/ME?

Could be you need to back up all your data, re-format your disk, install XP on the clean drive (ie don't install 98 and ME first), then reload all your software.

Best of luck.

Joe

Aedh
02-09-2005, 05:50 AM
I am stumped.

I bought the following for a new build (from Newegg):

--ASUS MB P5WD2 Premium Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 955X ATX Intel Motherboard
--GIGABYTE GV-NX68T256DH Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
--Western Digital 10,000rpm Raptor 37GB Hard Drive
--Crucial Ballistix 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) System Memory
--Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T Processor
--Aspire X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL/500 Silver/Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
--Memorex 52x CD-RW

**I have the new WD 10K Raptor HD with nothing on it.

**I carried over from my old system a Samsung SV6003H HD. It had Win XP Pro on it already and boots normally in my old system.

I am getting Stop 0x0000007B ( 0xF7C46528 , 0xC0000034 , 0x00000000 , 0x00000000 ) error message when trying to boot my new build.

I have tried each hard drive hooked up seperately and installing Windows XP Pro over the top of each HD (I cannot get it to install, same stop error). The installation process is halted before I get to the selection screen (Complete Reformat, Repair, Create a partition).

My BIOS recognizes the Hard Drives and everything appears to be OK but then it errors out to the BSoD with the stop message. None of the "fixes" I have found have helped my problem.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Agent 24 - "I had a computer that would do the same thing, load win98 fine but Bsod when loading XP. turned out that while the ram was not faulty it was incompatible with the board/another stick (I don't know which, sorry) but your problem may be similar?"

I will have to search to see if there are some problems with my Crucial RAM and ASUS...

gb23278
24-10-2005, 06:55 AM
I am having same problem, any resolution to this?

pctek
24-10-2005, 08:09 AM
I am stumped.

**I have the new WD 10K Raptor HD with nothing on it.

**I carried over from my old system a Samsung SV6003H HD. It had Win XP Pro on it already and boots normally in my old system.

I am getting Stop 0x0000007B ( 0xF7C46528 , 0xC0000034 , 0x00000000 , 0x00000000 ) error message when trying to boot my new build.

I have tried each hard drive hooked up seperately and installing Windows XP Pro over the top of each HD (I cannot get it to install, same stop error). The installation process is halted before I get to the selection screen (Complete Reformat, Repair, Create a partition).

My BIOS recognizes the Hard Drives and everything appears to be OK but then it errors out to the BSoD with the stop message. None of the "fixes" I have found have helped my problem.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
I'd return the MB for replacement.

Battleneter
24-10-2005, 09:11 AM
I'd return the MB for replacement.

Lol OMG, I thought you said Asus boards have like a 1/500 failure rate. And your suggesting he returns it for replacement?.

All a bit inconsistent if you ask me.

JJJJJ
24-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Are you trying to instal the upgrade version of XP. To an upgrade version of ME to win98.
If so, problem solved.

Agent_24
24-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Just because someone makes motherboards that don't usually break doesn't mean they won't.

Battleneter
24-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Just because someone makes motherboards that don't usually break doesn't mean they won't.

Yep I know this well, I have seen many Asus failures, just a we dig from another thread where it was stated that Asus boards have a failure rate of like 1/500 which I know to be complete BS.

gibler
24-10-2005, 12:10 PM
I had a nightmare of a problem with an ASUS P5GD1-VM motherboard and getting it to install properly (via a Ghost image).

In the end I seem to remember making a Win XP Pro CD with service pack 2 slipstreamed into it. Look for bios updates too.

The same Asus model was hit hard by bad caps too.

In the end the ghost image kind of worked, it will BSOD at first but booting to safe mode and then restarting it "fixes" the issue and then it is fine from then on.

Hopefully I made notes somewhere :confused:

Edit - gleaned from the forum, relates to P5WD2

Big D
I noticed other people having this problem, so I will tell how I got XP to install.

1. EASIEST METHOD...

Connect your Boot IDE drive as master on the BLUE IDE connector. CD/DVD ROM as secondary on the BLUE IDE connector. Leave all other drives out of system for now.

Now you are good to go. Tell the installation to continue when the IDE drivers are questioned. Or better yet try...

2. Make the F6 IDE driver disks.

From the driver CD, run:
\Drivers\ITE8211\MakeDisk\MakeDisk.exe
and
\Drivers\Chipset\Intel\MakeDisk\32bit\F6flpy32.exe

Then when you are first installing XP press F6 when asked to install other RAID drivers. Make sure you do not have a floppy in the drive until asked. Then when asked to pick the IDE RAID drivers, follow the instructions and install both RAID drivers.

This method will make XP install without questioning the IDE drivers.

It should also allow you to install properly with all your IDE drives hooked up the way you like, but I still connected them as per 1 above.

And more stuff on the asus forums (http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5WD2)

pctek
24-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Yep I know this well, I have seen many Asus failures, just a we dig from another thread where it was stated that Asus boards have a failure rate of like 1/500 which I know to be complete BS.
Having a low failure rate does not mean zero.
You don't know anything and as for your stupid comments in the last post I do order all my ASUS products from Morningstar, know their staff well and have never heard them say any such thing about the ASUS boards.
If you aren't contributing then go away and stop being childish.

Battleneter
24-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Having a low failure rate does not mean zero.
You don't know anything and as for your stupid comments in the last post I do order all my ASUS products from Morningstar, know their staff well and have never heard them say any such thing about the ASUS boards.
If you aren't contributing then go away and stop being childish.

Lol I suggest you go have a talk to them. We buy Asus there as well.

1/500 my ass, childish or not.

dds
24-10-2005, 05:44 PM
It could be the ram, or the disc(you may got a fake original disc).

Battleneter
24-10-2005, 06:01 PM
I am having same problem, any resolution to this?

I see you are bumping an older thread. Keep in mind the same symptoms are not always caused by the same fault.

You will need to post your full system spec's, to get any helpful advice from anyone.

mengelha
24-11-2005, 10:36 PM
I got the same motherboard (P5WD2) and had the very same problem. Finally I solved it yesterday!
Here is the solution that worked for me: There are 3 IDE slots on the motherboard. 2 red ones (groubed together) and 1 blue, at the boarder of the motherboard. Make sure you connect your optical drives (CDROM, DVD) to that blue (!) connecter and use the IDE cable with the blue connecter at one side. Make sure you have the boot CD-Drive set as master (jumpers) and connected to the gray cable connector. Do not use the cable which is labeled "CD Drives", which does not have a blue connector!
May be this works already, if not step into the BIOS and configure the IDE-Typ of your optical drives to [CD-ROM] (or something like this). By default they are set to [AUTO].

The Problem is that windows XP setup thinks that your CD-ROM drives are harddisk drives (for some reason it seems it cannot determine this) and obviously you cannot install XP onto your optical drive...

Good luck!

Hi, all Computer Masters

Recently, I have build my own dream machine : Pentium 4 (640) LGA775 3.2Ghz, 1G DDR2 533mhz, ASUS P5WD2, Gigabite X600 Pro 128MB PCI-Express X16, 120G Seagate 7200rpm 8mb SATA HDD, Acbel 500W.

[...]

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to yr computer. If this is the first time u've been this stop error screen, restart yr computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on yr computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drives controllers. Check yr hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart yr computer. Techinical Information : Stop : 0x0000007B (0xF7C8263C,0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

:(

evilnate
03-12-2005, 09:13 AM
I got the same motherboard (P5WD2) and had the very same problem. Finally I solved it yesterday!
Here is the solution that worked for me: There are 3 IDE slots on the motherboard. 2 red ones (groubed together) and 1 blue, at the boarder of the motherboard. Make sure you connect your optical drives (CDROM, DVD) to that blue (!) connecter and use the IDE cable with the blue connecter at one side. Make sure you have the boot CD-Drive set as master (jumpers) and connected to the gray cable connector. Do not use the cable which is labeled "CD Drives", which does not have a blue connector!
May be this works already, if not step into the BIOS and configure the IDE-Typ of your optical drives to [CD-ROM] (or something like this). By default they are set to [AUTO].

The Problem is that windows XP setup thinks that your CD-ROM drives are harddisk drives (for some reason it seems it cannot determine this) and obviously you cannot install XP onto your optical drive...

Good luck!

I can confirm that this is the solution. Nice find and thanks!

Specs:
P5WD2
P4 3.6
2X WD SATAII 250G
2Gig DDR2
6800GT

ughnz
05-12-2005, 06:59 PM
It can install win 98 and ME, surely
(1) it doesn't need a SATA driver
(2) Bios set correctly
(3) Nothing wrong with the HDD

No funny beep sound, surely
(1) all connection are correct
(2) no faulty part

Window Xp installation disc is new, straight out of the package, surely
(1) nothing wrong with the disc

what else it could happen?

:help:

WINXP uses a totaly differnet method of acssesing hardware from 98/ME.

It NEEDS a driver to provide DIRECT access to hardware.

Get you driver for the SATA controller and do the F6 during install.

spleek
09-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Mengelha, you are correct. I also had this issue with an Asus P5LD2 mobo and solved it with your instructions - except that I left "primary ide" on AUTO in the Bios and it worked fine.

I chalk this up to both personal error as well as poor instructions from Asus. The manual says you can hook up a cd or dvd to the EIDE connectors and dont specify explicitly that you can have complications doing that. I had it connected there originally and everything was working fine for a while -- until I wanted to do a fresh Windows installation -- then I got the STOP: 0x7b error.

Also ASUS including that darn cable labeled "cd-rom" - I of course used it, not looking at the other directions for hooking up the IDE connector that says to only use those with colored connectors. Again no explicit explanation in the manual.

Thanks to all for this discussion! I still have a few hairs left on my head because of it.

Oriongps
23-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info (would be nice if ASUS would have this info somewhere). I have been pulling my hair out for the last 5 hours trying to get past the damn error.

Merry Christmas

Jonee5
06-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi, all Computer Masters

So I tried to do a chkdsk but it recommended to do a scandisk. Scandisk didn't find anything wrong with the hard drive.

Please help. Thank you in advance. :(

If you are doing a fresh install of XP...
Go into BIOS first under Onboard IDE Operation Mode and change Enhanced MODE to Compatible MODE. -SAVE- REBOOT with your windows XP disk.
You should be good to go for install, NO BSD.
Note: Compat mode has to be set in BIOS if you also want to use other Boot-CD DOS utis like PartitionMAGIC, or SEAGATE HD utils from CD.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Ryouba
07-03-2006, 03:04 AM
Ok, so I did what was posted earlier on about setting the CD cable to the blue connector on the edge rather than the red, and then I did the detect it as "CD-ROM", and I no longer get the "STOP 0x0000007B" error!

Instead, I get yet ANOTHER Blue Screen, giving me a "STOP 0x00000050" error. I don't remember the error message, but it was something about PAGED_FILE_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA or something.

Please help me. This is the first computer that I've built (with a little help from my friends), and I'd really like to get it up and running.

SYSTEM SPECS:
Asus P5WD2 Premium mobo
Intel Pentium D 930 CPU (3.0 GHz)
eVGA nVidia geForce 6800 GS
Creative X-Fi Platinum soundcard
Antec TruePower 2.0 550W PSU
Memorex Dual-Layer DVD Burner
Western Digital Caviar 250gb SATA hard drive
Corsair XMS-2 1 GB DDR2-800 RAM

Agent_24
07-03-2006, 08:37 AM
probably "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA"

usually cause by a bad harddrive (check the cable for that too) or by bad ram (give memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) a shot)

Rob99
07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Funny it only seems the Intel boards are affected.

USER ERROR USER ERROR: You are not qualified to work on your own computer.....00000000EoE

They should all come with a manuel, maybe this should be studied fully before you start poking plugs into sockets.

MPG
07-03-2006, 04:18 PM
I have had a machine built for me recently based on an Asus P5WD2 Premium mobo. I asked for 3 hdds to be installed - 1 for OS + software and 2 Seagate 250 SATAII drives mirrored in a RAID Setup for critical data. The builder (very experienced) spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out how to sucessfully install XP Home. For some time they thought they had a faulty mobo but they persisted. I didn't enquire about the details of how they succeded but I understand it was to do with which controller(s) were used for which drives. It seems the Asus documentation was not very helpful.

Ryouba
08-03-2006, 03:41 AM
Ok, so, most of the problem has been taken care of. The STOP 0x00000050 was just a RAM issue, but that's taken care of, too.

BIOS is up to date, can't seem to upload drivers correctly. Each time we try the F6 during Windows Setup, the setup demands a manufacturer's floppy.

Anyways, the main problem is that now Windows XP Pro w/ SP2's setup prog is not recognizing the SATA drive being connected. Everywhere I read, and even in the manual, leads me to believe that one SATA-II drive should install just fine, but I don't understand why Windows Setup is saying that there are no hard drives present. We've tried moving the SATA cable to the different ports, but most of them have no success, while other ones will go to the "Partition" screen. When you select to create a new partition and format, the format bar goes to about 20%, and then the screen says "Windows cannot format this HDD". At first, I though the Hard Drive was bad, but we hooked it up to my friend's computer, and it was recognized just fine.

This is day three of this build, and hopefully someone could help me out?? Thanks! ;)

Graham L
08-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Read gibler's posting, #25 in this thread. :cool: It seems that XP needs the SATA driver on a floppy. It provides an "F6" keystroke which lets you use this.

Agent_24
08-03-2006, 06:05 PM
The motherboard should have had a SATA controller driver floppy disk come with it.. You need to stick this in after you press F6 when it asks you for a floppy.

Ryouba
09-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Does it have to be Internal or can it be a USB Floppy?

Agent_24
09-03-2006, 05:02 PM
I can't say as I've only ever used standard floppy drives for that.

Windows XP probably loads a USB floppy drive driver...

Graham L
09-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Just try it. :D MS must be coming to terms with the disappearing floppy drive.

Can you put up a CD with extra drivers during an installation? Surely they will make provision for that. Sooner or later. ;) Maybe the F6 menu will give CD as an option.?

Ryouba
11-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Frustrating... :(

Ok, so yeah, drivers are the problem.

Tried floppies, no prevail
Tried to slipstream numerous times, no prevail

What are the drivers that I need, exactly, for XP to identify a SATA-II WD Caviar 250GB hard disk on the Asus P5WD2 Premium motherboard?? If you could tell me that, I'd be the happiest man in Disneyland. (Not really in Disneyland.)

<<EDIT>> XP setup was fine with USB floppies :P

Ryouba
11-03-2006, 06:51 AM
<<EDIT 2>> Fine with floppies = floppys detected, still havng trouble seeing that HD.

Nomad
11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Try going to bios and switch the HD to PATA or to SATA RAID and back to SATA without RAID support.

That worked for me. I had issues of the Windows CD actually detecting my HDD so it could not install the software. I also had issues that restart PC is able to detect HD but if you cold start it, it could not and you had to reset it or reboot it and it worked.

I had a Gigabyte mobo. With a AMD Sempron chip.

Maybe when it installed the files and the mobo drivers it was better (?). I can't recall that much.

I also just had one HDD on SATA.

Agent_24
11-03-2006, 12:07 PM
You don't need a driver for the harddrive, you need a driver for the Sata controller.

Download this (http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5WD2%20Premium/MakeDisk32bit.zip), extract the contents to a folder - open the 'MakeDisk_SATA' folder and run the 'AsusSetup.exe' in that folder. (make sure you have a blank floppy disk handy)

Then put that disk into the computer when you run windows setup (after pressing F6)

tstkl
12-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I am having the same stop error on my new computer as well. My situation is a tad bit different, but our computers are very similar (I know thats not important but whatever) I have an asus p5Ld2 with a 3.2 ghz pentium 4 64 bit processor with a 2mb l2 and 800 mghz fsb. either way, let me explain my story.

I had a dell deminsion 8200 from about 2001 or 2002. It had a 2.4 ghz with two 80 gb hard drives, yada yada yada. It had a really good graphics card for its time, and the fan on that seized and it overheated. Ever since like a year after I got that computer its been having problems. I would reformat regularly and still have problems and stuff. I eventually gave up and just tried to work around these problems. They were mostly little things, until last week. I was using my computer and it randomly restarted (again) except this time, after typing in my password in dos, and picking windows xp (over server 2003, which no longer works, I don't know why, I just figured it was my dell being stupid) the windows xp logo comes on as if its loading, and then it just restarts. Again and again, this is what it does, so I say, screw this, I'm tired of this stupid computer, lets just get a new one. So I buy a new cpu, case, video card, mobo, and ram. I put everything together using the two 80 gb hard drives, AND two other hard drives from an even older computer, along with 2 cd drives from each and 1 floppy drive from each, (hey, I got the room, why not?) for a total of 4 cd drives and 2 floppy drives. I go to start up and I get the same problem, so I go to reinstall windows on a drive that doesn't have all my data on it (since thats the point of reusing the drives, they have data on them I need.) and it doesn't work. I tried it with each drive idividually hooked up to the primary plug with no other drives powered or connected. I have found that of the three drives, one of them does not regsiter and it appears toast (the 40 gb one) and the other three seem fine, although all three get the same error code while installing windows. It happenes when the computer is finished copying the files from the cd to the drive, and is about to start the install. It just stops. So since its the same problem as I had with the old set up, but each hard drive does not work, I think it is safe to assume that my computer hates me. The only things reused (including ide cables, power cables, everything) is my audigy 2 sound card, my network card, the 4 hard drives, 4 cd drives, and 2 floppy drives. It can't be the cd, floppy drives, or cd drives, because if it was any of those, why wouldn't/won't the computer start up with the operating system on the drives now. If it was a virus, why does it happen with all three drives? Im lost, any help?

Greg
13-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Just a kind suggestion... paraphrase all that - I for one find it too onerous to read. And using paragraphs would help too.

tstkl
13-05-2006, 04:30 AM
ok I don't know exactly what your looking for, but I'll try.

I started off with a dell 8200 and I have been having some problems with it. One day it restarted randomly, which it does a lot, and when I went to start up windows again, it would just restart during the windows loading screen. I decided that this 5 year old computer was old enough to merit replacement, so I bought the following parts.

asus P5LD2 mother board
asus radion pci express 256 mb video card (Im not at home otherwise I could give you the full name)
ocz 1gb 667 pc 5400 ddr2 ram, gold
aspire or antec? case with a 420 watt supply
intel pentium 4 64 bit processor with 800 mghz fsb, 2mb l2 cache, at 3.2 ghz

after installing all this with the two hard drives, two cd drives, floppy drive, sound card, and network card from my dell, I also added two hard drives from my old ibm (it never stopped working, I just replaced it because it was so old) and two cd drives with one floppy drive from that computer too. After installing all this, I went to start up windows and it had the same problem, so I decided to reinstall windows.

While reinstalling windows, resulted in no luck either. Once it loads all the files from the cd onto the drive, it gives me the stop error : stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7C8263C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Since getting that error, I have tried;

using all four drives as the primary drive idividually, with no other drives plugged in. I have found that the 40 gb western digital drive does not register while looking in dos, so its safe to say that drive is most likely dead. I have had horrible luck with WD drives, so Im not surprised. I have tried multiple cd drives, with no avail aswell. I have no idea what it could be, as the problem seemed to have occured with two almost completely different set ups.

pctek
13-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Use 1 hard drive and 1 CD to start with.
Make sure the hard drive has been formatted. When you boot off the Windows CD once its found the drive you can delete the aprtitions(s) here and reformat.
Did you do that?

Agent_24
13-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Have you looked at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324103 ?

tstkl
14-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Use 1 hard drive and 1 CD to start with.
Make sure the hard drive has been formatted. When you boot off the Windows CD once its found the drive you can delete the aprtitions(s) here and reformat.
Did you do that?
I tried all 4 drives idividually with one cd drive at a time. Same problem every time. I even eliminated the chance of it being the hard drive all together. I tried knoppix (a linux based opperating system that runs off the cd, so no hard drive is needed at all.) and still had the problem. I *THINK* it has come down to the ram, but I don't know.

and yes I have looked at the microsoft site for what the reasons the error code is displayed and how to fix it. I read it word for word the other day and it still didn't do any good. Hopefully my friend will have time to bring over some ram so we can try a different stick and see if that will work.

thanks for all the help so far.

tstkl
16-05-2006, 03:19 PM
ok so I just started up my old ibm with the 20 gb hard drive and the ibm cd reader drive, along with the dell windows install cd, since it has no operating system. Here is a list of the different cd/hard drives I have and what I will call them:

western digital 80 gb hard drive (bought as slave drive for dell orignally, second "slave drive" for the dell) codename-wd 80gb

maxtor 80 gb hard drive (original primary drive that came with dell) codename-max 80 gb

western digital 40 gb hard drive (bought as slave drive for ibm) codename- wd 40gb

maxtor 20 gb hard drive (original primary drive that came with ibm) codename- max 20gb

as for the cd drives, there was one cd reader and one cd writer per computer (dell/ibm) so there is the ibm cd reader, ibm cd writer, dell cd reader, dell cd writer, and there is one floppy from each computer.

right now I have the max 20gb and the ibm cd reader in the ibm and its installing windows flawlessly. Thats the one drive that was never exposed to the two 80 gb hard drives because I had it set up with the primary for the second ide cable going to the 40 gb first, then the 20 gb, and since the new computer won't register the 40gb, it didn't transfer any data or recognize the 20 gb until I reconnected it as the primary, and by then I was testing them idividually, so it never was connected while the 80 gbs were.

pcbuilder
26-05-2006, 03:04 PM
I too was frustrated by this problem. I just built a machine as follows: Pentium D930 processor, ASUS P5LD2 motherboard, 1 MB Corsair RAM, WD 250 MB HD, EVGA 7600 GS video card.

After trying loading drivers using F6 and moving around hardware, I came upon a simple solution.

Once I switched my CD ROM to the blue IDE connector (as opposed to the red ones with the ribbon labeled "CD ROM") Windows XP Pro installed without a hitch.

The red IDE connectors require RAID drivers to work and for some reason, I could not get them to load with F6. This solution is much simpler.

I hope this helps.

AcrossTheSeas
29-01-2008, 08:21 PM
... if not step into the BIOS and configure the IDE-Typ of your optical drives to [CD-ROM] (or something like this). By default they are set to [AUTO].

Good luck!

Thanks! I have a new Zepto laptop, delivered without an operating system, that wouldn't start setup.
An intitial attempt to install from an original "version 1" XP CD got me a blue screen, and with subsquent attempts both with the original CD and a slipstreamed, XPSP2 CD (Zepto support said that an XPSP2 CD was required for this computer), I never got past the black screen with the blinking white dash.
The incorrect BIOS option on my computer is called IDE CHANGE 1 MASTER, which was set to AUTO, just like you said. Thanks again!