PDA

View Full Version : Browsing firefox offline

russell108
08-06-2005, 02:57 AM
I often seem to find that pages in my history do not load...how can i remedy this ? ?

*srry if this has been answered before i tried looking but couldnt find it*

Renmoo
08-06-2005, 03:02 AM
The solution, which is much obvious, is to use IE..... :D ;)

russell108
08-06-2005, 04:37 AM
Yeah thanks a bunch.. :stare:

somebody
08-06-2005, 08:49 AM
It probably has to do with your cache settings - ie. they aren't caching all the pages you're viewing, or the older ones are being deleted.

russell108
10-06-2005, 09:40 PM
tried changing the cache settings but it didnt seem to make a great deal of difference... :confused:

Safari
10-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Try connecting with your modem.
They are not going to load if you are not connected to the internet.

If you select work offline it does not disconnect your modem connection so there is not much point in doing that as you are not saving any connection time.

russell108
11-06-2005, 12:16 PM
i did change the settings before going online , then compared the difference and some pages i could see but most i couldnt... :badpc:

Safari
11-06-2005, 12:36 PM
I am getting confused what it is you are trying to do.
Are you saying while connected some web sites don't load.

russell108
12-06-2005, 08:45 AM
No ,i browse the net no problem but when i'm offline i cant access the pages in my history...

Graham L
12-06-2005, 03:44 PM
I think you are confusing two different things here.

The "history" function just stores a list of recently accessed URLs. It does not store the actual content addressed by the URLs.

The "cache" actually stores content briefly, in case you want to refer to it again (say with the Back button) or if it's needed by a site (logos, icons, etc). It doesn't keep everything for ever. It's a temporary store.

If you want to refer to sites without being online, you will have to explicitly save your own local copy of each thing you need.

FrankS
12-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Same as Netscape you can only open a history URL whilst on line. For Firefox History settings Tools | Options | Privacy | History.

FoxyMX
12-06-2005, 03:57 PM
No ,i browse the net no problem but when i'm offline i cant access the pages in my history...Firefox does not appear to handle working offline as well as Opera does so if that is a feature that you require I would suggest giving Opera a try.

13. In opera, if you try to open a page from last week's history (or even older), it'll open almost the whole page from the history on the computer when you're working offline, whereas in firefox, you can't even open a page from five minutes ago, it won't even bring the url by auto-complete in many situations (yeah, it sucks when you don't have internet connection wherever you go, and you want to load the image from the history because of a slow conneciton, opera does help).

14. In opera, if you're browsing some pages while its status is set to online, and you want to open some pages from the history that you want to be opened from history rather than downloading the whole page with all the images from internet, you can set opera to work offline and type the url of that page and opera will open that page from history, and it'll keep opening the previous page from the website (that you ordered when it was set to work online). Firefox will just stop browsing if you set it to work offline. From here (http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/000527.html).

russell108
12-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Whats so great about firefox then ?

i've had nothing but **** from it :badpc: