PDA

View Full Version : Peculiar - updating AVG !?

Misty
07-06-2005, 08:22 PM
When I turn on the PC I frequently get the situation where AVG is trying to update. It starts to download the new definitions but get progressively slower and slower to the point that nothing at all is happening and I chose to cancel.
Yet when I do the update manually it works, happening in seconds.

Quite bizarre ! Any ideas on what is going on please ???
Misty :illogical

AlphabetSoup
07-06-2005, 11:28 PM
AVG over the years has provided three full time dedicated servers for the purposes of users around the world logging in for an automatic or manual update.

Owing to massive increase in traffic, as well as the need to update virus definitions (the DATS you download automatically) more regulalrly, these servers are becomming far slower and in some cases you are blocked from all but one server.

There are two solutions:

Purchase the full versions which is given priority access to all three servers.
Generate a INI file to ensure you gain access to all three servers at all times.

To do the second option you need to do the following:

Navigate to your AVG install directory C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6
Right click on the file named url.ini and rename it to url.iniold
Open a new Notepad file by right clicking on an empty spot in the AVG folder currently open and selecting Notepad
Inside the new notepad file type the following (or copy and paste from here)

[SERVER_NAME]
1=free.grisoft.cz
2=ftp.grisoft.com
3=www.grisoft.com

[SERVER_URL]
1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe
2=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/fe/
3=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe/
Actual URL=3

From notepad toolbar, click File |Save as and save what you just typed in the C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6 directory as url.ini

Note: The above code will give you 3 optional update-servers to choose from, with server #3 {www.grisoft.com} being the default. Automatic updates should be less of a drag from then on.

Regards,

Timothy

pheonix
08-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Unfortunately, that mod is for AVG6, and it is now AVG7 with no url.ini file.

It is most likely just server overload. It is surprising what a virus outbreak can do to peoples attitudes of updating. The recent outbreak I refer to is the email that has the dire warnings about account closure etc..

Give it about a week and you should be OK again.

Misty
08-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks AlphabetSoup and Pheonix
I will keep your comments in mind and also be patient. Every time it slows down now I cancel right away, then I open the program and download from there - "nae bother".
Misty :cool: