PDA

View Full Version : Help please-Power button works... sometimes

amazonsister
07-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Can anyone help with info on this Strange behavior?

My laptop (HP Pavilion ZE 4225-P3, OS=WinXP sp1) started this a few months after I bought it but I have my desktop so I just left it for later... Now, I want to install a 3rd HDD on the desktop, buth disks are full, so I need to move some (about 25GB) to the lap for storage, and It won't come on. Came on yesterday, no prob. Came on day before yesterday. And the day before that. Didn't come on last week though. :illogical

Basiclly, sometimes I get no reaction whatsoever when pushing the power button. Noting, Nada, Nonqu. Doesn't matter if ind. light is orange or green (or winking smugly either). So I mutter, curse and stash it somewhere "to fix later". Then, next time I take it out and try 'just in case", it might fire up, might not.

I've had it for about a year and a half or so, but take care of gramma and just never had anytime, then by the time I did and checked the reciept, 1 yr warranty was over the week before. Just my luck.

And now my desktop pc (HP pavilion 513n, P3 2 Hdd-(100gb)/2 cd-rw, OS=WinXP sp2) has started doing the same thing. Well, it's done it three times this just this last week, so I'm leaving it on. Desktop is 'always on', laptop is seldom used and I haven't shared any files for a long time.

I've googled & 'oogled'. I've read so many forums, help pages, white pages and search results, that my contacts are stuck 2 my eyeballs :@@: . Anyone have any ideas <pleading puppy face>? Please ?

FrankS
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
What happens if you press the button squarely, say "one thousand, two thousand" to yourself and then release the button. Sounds like mechanical failure.

amazonsister
07-06-2005, 05:55 PM
absolutly nothing. Have pushed,prodded,tapped & all but burped. No response. But then sometimes, it just jumps 2 life like nothing at all. Truly I have not been able to find any 'circumstances that coincide with either response, ie: cold, warm/ term of use or lack thereof. It is quite confusing. :illogical

Codex
07-06-2005, 06:52 PM
man is your computer haunted or sumfin cause thats just weird, if its happening on both comps maybe its something you installed??

pctek
07-06-2005, 08:46 PM
A laptop is a different animal so I'll leave that one.

The desktop, well its on button is usually just a hunk of plastic that pushes onto an actual switch which is connected by wire to 2 pins on your motherboard.
So, take the lid off and check its connected to the pins OK. Then check if the hunk of plastic is sticking (quite common) and finally there might be a break in the wire.

amazonsister
08-06-2005, 02:14 AM
lol.. Ya, I know the desktop is just failing. One of the harddisks is going ou (why I need to add another...), I just mentioned it because Iwas so irritaded.

But hey codex, I agree with you actually, lol.. The laptop thing IS strange. I haveoften wondered if there were any accidents at the plant around it time of mfg! It is perplexing to say the least.

One thing I've noticed, is that several of the the ports are loose connections. Mainly the USB &thepower port.The parts arein securely, the fit isjust loose. Still no reason to fail though. And as I said, it always did this since new.

I know I should have sent it back right off. First thing I noticed first time fired up was really noisy cd-rom. But I really need it now and I paid almost a thousand dollers for it!

b1naryb0y
08-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Does it make any difference if you push the button more firmly?

Is it possible that you unknowingly push buttons down with too much force that causes them to fail over time?