PDA

View Full Version : Need to Access a Protected Folder

intelliagent
07-06-2005, 02:29 AM
I need to access data from a Hard-drive on a PC whose Mo-board failed ... I now have it as a slave in a 2nd PC

Problem:
The slave was logged into by a (administrative) password protected login, and now has 3 folders (I need data from) that are inaccessible as the slave drive ... the administrator password protected login has locked me out of these three folders

I have tried to set this as a Master (only) drive, but it fails halfway through the boot process at a file called mup.sys - I have tried safe mode, last best bootup ... all except command prompt only.

Possible Solutions?

(1) Set the slave back to Master, and reinstall Windows XP Home? - will this damage the data on the drive?

(2) Find a utility that will allow me access to the folders - around the protection (does a miracle utility such as this exist)?

(3) copy a new file of mup.sys & hope this works - and no other system files are corrupted?

Any suggestions that will work (rather than my guess work?)?

cheers
B)

:badpc:

SurferJoe46
07-06-2005, 03:46 AM
Unless there's a work-around for this problem, and you actually find something that works, I think the dead man's switch in XP will not allow it. The mobo is signed to the opsys and if it's changed, it is probably not accessable.
This is built in by M$ to kep people from cloning the opsys in multiple puters.

Let us all know if you find and answer, but I think M$ has this all figgered out to foil you. :badpc:

SurferJoe46
07-06-2005, 03:48 AM
PS:

This is why I suggest everyone get and use Belarc Adviser.... to get the keys and such for cases like this. Belarc will show the keys on licensed products in your puter, and allow you to re-enter them for or in case you have had a burn down either self-induced or accidental. :blush:

Rob99
07-06-2005, 09:16 AM
See here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech).

Or get GetDataBack (http://www.runtime.org/).

berryb
07-06-2005, 11:51 AM
As Rob99 has posted. All you need to do is take ownership of the folders/files. Simple to do and will give you access.

SurferJoe46
07-06-2005, 01:37 PM
I don't know about this, as I had this same discussion with M$ in Texas about it last year. As you stated, you smoked a mobo and are trying to access Windows XP-Home on the hd from the old mobo and make it run with the new mobo.

As you stated: I need to access data from a Hard-drive on a PC whose Mo-board failed ... I now have it as a slave in a 2nd PC

..this makes it unaccessable as far as M$ is concerned; they would be very upset if you can use a hd with XP on it in another puter.

In the old days (pre Win ME) we used to be able to do what you want. But $$$'s are $$$'s and Mr. Bill isn't gonna let use get something for nuthin'.

I still think I will stand on the facts as you put them here that you are trying to use a hd from one puter in another and still use XP or the files that were generated by the other opsys..... Right? :@@:

pheonix
07-06-2005, 02:18 PM
You should be fine by booting up with a Linux distro live CD such as Knoppix and mount the drives, then copy across the folders. It will work unless the folders have been encrypted.

You could also use something like System rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org/). Just make the CDROM the first boot device.

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Ive done it before with INSERT Rescue CD - http://insert.cd

Chill.

amazonsister
07-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Sorry to break in, but have a relevant Quick questian. I am running xp Home (sp2) and do not have, nor ever have had, a Security Tab in Properties. Read all the MS write-ups, de-/re- set "S F S" and no Tab. Anyone know why not?

SurferJoe46
07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
because XP-Home does not have that ability...just XP-Pro

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Actually its because you're using FAT32, not NTFS.

Its an NTFS Permissions thing - And yes, the INSERT Rescue CD will allow those to be reset. UNLESS the files are encrypted, but I dont know many people who use the built-in NTFS encryption.

Chill.

amazonsister
07-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanx SurferJoe :), I always wondered cause Home is on relevant list...

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Let me just clarify here:

(1) Set the slave back to Master, and reinstall Windows XP Home? - will this damage the data on the drive?
You can, but you risk making an easy mistake and formatting the drive or the likes. You can re-install Windows, but its not a good idea to go over top of itself.

(2) Find a utility that will allow me access to the folders - around the protection (does a miracle utility such as this exist)?
Yes, this is what the INSERT Rescue CD does. It'll let you view/copy/backup all the files on that HDD.

(3) copy a new file of mup.sys & hope this works - and no other system files are corrupted?
AFAIK it doesnt work like that.... :(

Rob99
07-06-2005, 11:20 PM
If is realy important get GetDataBack for the link I posted above.

berryb
08-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Am I missing something here? If the HD from the stuffed Mobo is set as slave in another PC then why can one not take ownership. The HD might have XP on it but it is not booting off it so why would that matter? It is just another drive with data on it. I have done this before, taken ownership of the whole drive with the XP on it set as slave or just the folders I want access to and copied the files I want.

SurferJoe46
08-06-2005, 12:58 PM
In off-post communication with Chilling_silence, I think I might have some bad info as I too have had a real problem with trying to access data generated under XP, and then trying to use it in another tower.

OK, let me tell what happened to me, and then I can be persuaded to see my mistakes:

I had a RAID setup on a tower (actually called "JBOD"), XP-PRO the opsys, and data files (mp3's, iso, doc, etc) on the other drives. I decided to change the tower for a newer and hotter speed one, and I tried to transfer the opsys first. NO good at all! It got ignored and told me there was no operating system found. Now, I can handle that, and I went on and did an fdisk and installed (clean) XP-PRO on what I like to call my "OPSYS" hd. It is usually a small one, under 10giig.

Here's where the real eye-opener was. I had the other disks in a new RAID array, and they too, although I could SEE THE FILES, could NOT ACCESS THEM!!!!

I assumed (AND WILL SIT OR STAND CORRECTED IF I AM WRONG HERE) that I should be able to use them (access as in PLAY the MP3's, see the pictures or view the movie (DVD shrunk to .iso, WINRAR'd and POWER DVD played.) NO WAY!!!

Then I got told by smarter and very much younger children (mine) that I was trying to run files under a different opsys even though it too was XP-PRO. Seems, the said, that there is an ID that XP sets up (we used to call it a parity test) and is written to the zero sector or BAM or whatever it currently is called that will not allow it to work.

I, (again) was told that this is a security grenade that M$ puts in to make it impossible to take a hd outta one machine and use it on another.

OK..beat me with a stick, but I still don't see how using a different mobo to read a file is supposed to work, especially if it came off a different tower with a different mobo/bios/bam/etc. I don't think a utility to do this exists, and if it does, I'm sure M$ will send out an SP-xyz to stop it.

Just a thought..... :2cents:

Please don't use a big stick. :D

Rob99
08-06-2005, 01:58 PM
There are many people here including me, who will slave a HD with another OS to gain access to the files for backup.

If I cant access the files, taking ownership works most of the time, failing that I use GetDataBack.

If you are trying to recover anything off 1 previously raided disk I think you would be luckie. Never used Raid and with my little knowledge with raid, I think it uses two or more disks and writes to both to speed up the reading and writing to disk. One file can be spread over both disks in Raid, therefor you will need both working to access the file.

berryb
08-06-2005, 06:52 PM
SurferJoe. I agree with Rob. Your issue would be caused by RAID and depending on how you had it setup. RAID 0 implements a striped disk array, the data is broken down into blocks and each block is written to a separate disk drive. Hence trouble accessing files when one drive is taken out of the system. Raid 1 basically mirrors both drives, so all files (including OS) are on both drives.

Chilling_Silence
08-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Im no whizz with RAID - Never done it in my life!

However, berryb is right - You just need to assume ownership of the files. This can usually be done by root/administrator of the currently loaded OS.

Booting INSERT or any Linux OS circumvents any ownership that may have been in place. Same thing happens if I were to boot it on my Gentoo box (Except /home could be encrypted.... ;).

qyiet
09-06-2005, 04:06 PM
RAID using JBoD is Just a Bunch Of Disks. It is used to treat a whole lot of hard drives as one big one. It dosn't have any of the benifits of the other RAID modes.

If you only have one disk atttached to a RAID adapter it usually sets up as JBoD array with only one disk. I think in the case described by JoeSurfer46 RAID is just being a distraction, because a JBoD array of one is the same as one disk attached normally.

To solve intelliagent's problem, I would boot the computer using knoppix, then copy the data to a share. It has worked for me in the past, including where the take ownership method failed (the drive was dieing).

-Qyiet

SurferJoe46
09-06-2005, 06:31 PM
I actually have 5 hd's in the JBOD here.

A small one (10gig) for the opsys and pointers, and four 200 gigs assigned their own drive letter.

They are all operating as seperate drives and can be accessed as they need be. I usually save the .iso files on one, mp3's on another, copies of pdf's and .dat, .doc, .oof etc on the third, and generally use the last as an overflow or temp file area.

I feel that it keeps the fastest sectors available to XP, as it constantly cleans house during idle time anyway, moving chairs around on the Titanic, if you will.

I agree with the RAID system being a little strange to understand. The sole factor is that ALL the drives must be identical, not like a JBOD.

One set-up allows the drives to be mirrors in pairs (for safety against data loss), one allows bits of files to be on each drive (for access/write speed), and the 0+1 allows a hybrid of the other systems combined.

I always invoke the SMART capacity (buy drives with that included) as they will bench test themselves and report to XP (and Belarc) what their projected lifespan is, and also tell of pending doom or flaws they find. I like that info; let's me see when to replace a hd and get on with life. I've heard of gui's that generate a voiced message with warnings to the operator about conditions if they are getting bad. THIS I want to investigate more!!! :@@: