PDA

View Full Version : Equivilant specs

Faded_Mantis
06-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi I often read reviews of Desktops and Laptops in PCworld and although the PCworldbench mark helps me see which are better what do I do for the models that arn't reviewed...

The problem is this, I don't know what Processor, or Graphics card the ones in a laptop are equivilant to.

E.g. Is a Pentium Centrino 2.0ghz the same as a Pentium 4 1.5ghz? or is it the same as a P4 2.4?

and same with the GPU, is a 9600GT Mobile the same as a 9600GT PCI-E or is it more like a 5800Ultra?

Can anyone post a list of Laptop CPU and GPU's with a desktop equivilant next to it?

Thanks.

pctek
07-06-2005, 10:34 AM
E.g. Is a Pentium Centrino 2.0ghz the same as a Pentium 4 1.5ghz? or is it the same as a P4 2.4?

and same with the GPU, is a 9600GT Mobile the same as a 9600GT PCI-E or is it more like a 5800Ultra?

No they are not the same.
Google is your best bet for detailed info. For instance this:
http://compreviews.about.com/od/cpus/a/PentiumM.htm

Likewise, a PCI-E graphics card doesn't equate to a notebook graphics chip.

plod
07-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Metla should be able to answer this one, as I believe he has used a couple of these notebooks running the centrino chipsets in them

Metla
07-06-2005, 11:30 AM
My advice is to define your needs and then buy the closest matching notebook that fits the budget.

If your after one that can play 3d games then don't go for less then a mobile 9700pro video chipset, But bear in mind you should be comparing notebooks to notebooks rather then to desktops.

Faded_Mantis
07-06-2005, 08:32 PM
ok, thanks.

I know that I can compare notebook specs and PCworld bench scores to each other, but to compare to desktops would be good.

You see, i'm heading off to University at the start of 2007 (not buying a computer until then so its not out of date by the time i go) but I'm tossing up between getting a good spec desktop for a cheaper amount but taking up more dorm space and being stuck in the one place, or getting a Laptop which would cost more for similar specs but take less room, but have portability.

Yes i am looking for one that will have the ability to play 3d games, thats why i'm interested in the reviews of some of the laptops lately, although expensive lap tops now can preform well enough, (you can get a $4000+ Laptop that can play doom 3 at 800 X 600) but I could get a desktop for that proce that could play Doom 3 at 1024 X 768 well.)

So the main factors are space and portability...and being a student, Price!

Hopefully by 2007 Laptops will be cheaper and closer to the same abilities as a desktop than they are now, I know that may be a dream, but laptops just have a more creative apeal to me, they are often designed better than desktops and have the feeling that they can be taken anywhere, imagine writing your english essay while sitting in somewhere like hagly park or Marine Parade.

pctek
07-06-2005, 08:43 PM
2007 is a million years away in computer years so don't bother investigating yet. You could probably buy my desktop system then for about $300.
(A8N-SLI, A64 3500+, 1GB DDR400, X850XT PCI-E VGA, etc etc)

Metla
07-06-2005, 11:14 PM
ok, thanks.

Yes i am looking for one that will have the ability to play 3d games, thats why i'm interested in the reviews of some of the laptops lately, although expensive lap tops now can preform well enough, (you can get a $4000+ Laptop that can play doom 3 at 800 X 600) but I could get a desktop for that proce that could play Doom 3 at 1024 X 768 well.)

You can get a laptop for less then 3 grand that will play Doom3 at medium detail at 1024x768, Mines a year old and does it no problem (well, she has the odd glitch when all hell breaks loose,but the ones on the market now have better video chipsets then my old girl)

Asus V6800V, 15" SXGA, Mobile Pentium-M 740 1.73G, Combo Drive, 512MB DDR2-400 DRAM (2nd Memory Slot Available), 60GB (5400RPM), Combo Drive, ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ X600 (MR24) PCI-Express 64MB VRAM, Gb Lan, WinXP Pro, 802.11G, Ultra Thin and Light Weight, Dimensions: 33.1 x 27.2 x 2.54~3cm Weight: 2.45Kg, 2 Year International Warranty, Free Carry Bag and Mouse

Asus A4800K 15" TFT Wide Screen, DVD Writer, AMD Mobile Athlon 64 3200+, 512Mb DDR333 DRAM, 60Gb HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 Pro 64MB VGA, 802.11b/g wireless, Windows XP Pro, 2 year International warranty, Free bag and mouse

Asus W3000N, 14.1“ WXGA Glare Type LCD, Intel Pentium M1.7Ghz, DVD writer, 512Mb DDR333 DRAM, 60GB HDD, 1X/16X/10X/8X/24X DVD-RW, ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ 9700 64MB VRAM VGA, Windows XP Professional, Integrated 802.11a/b/g & Built-in Bluetooth™, 33.0x24.7x3.0-3.27cm (WxDxH) 2 Kg, 2 year International warranty, free bag and mouse

all around the 3 grand mark, Though the pick of the bunch would be the A4800K, should be cheaper then the other 2 by a couple hundy at least.

Prescott
07-06-2005, 11:18 PM
also try to buy the mobile version of cpu's, a desktop cpu in a laptop can face serious heat problems.

Metla
07-06-2005, 11:33 PM
They face serious heat problems when people block the vents, generally they run fine though definitly quite a bit hotter then a laptop using a mobile chipset.

On my system (AMD 2800) I have all the throtteling down and power saving "features" disabled (threw away all the software programs and disabled the crapola in the bios), so shes running at full capabilites all the time...The fans run 100% of the time and she gets pretty damn hotski if you have it on your lap, Blocking the vents would most probally bring on a pretty quick meltdown.

That aside, runs like a dream.

Well, It sucked all the life out of the battery.

That aside it runs like a dream, all sacrafices are worthwhile when it comes to performance, just ask Ben Johnson

Faded_Mantis
08-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Hmm, But to get around the throttling and such you could create a powersaving profile and a gaming one? or is that not possible to disable throttling and such that way?

Also with screen specs I hear of "TFT, SGXA and WGXA" what is the difference between the screens, Is one type generally more responcive?

You suggest the A4800K as the pick of the bunch at the moment around the 3 grand mark, i am guessing thats because of the more powerful processor? as it has slower ram, DDR 333 instead of DDR2-400 and a mob 9700 instead of the X600 in the V6800. Isn't the X600 more powerful?

Although i'm not going to buy until i go to uni this is quite helpful to me.

So your suggesting it might be wiser to go for a 3grand laptop with the end of 2006 specs similar to that instead of a 5 grand one at the time? Wouldn't a 3 grand 1 be out of date before i finish my 3-4 years of uni?

And a laptop would be a good buy for me, where i need space, but want gaming power? (also used to ergonomic keyboards lol). Hopefully things will come along way by the time i go to buy.

Metla
08-06-2005, 11:04 PM
You suggest the A4800K as the pick of the bunch at the moment around the 3 grand mark, i am guessing thats because of the more powerful processor? as it has slower ram, DDR 333 instead of DDR2-400 and a mob 9700 instead of the X600 in the V6800. Isn't the X600 more powerful?

In the world of desktops an X600 is the same tech as the 9600, a card spanked to death by the 9700pro, The differences may be bigger or smaller in the world of laptops but the basic truth that the 9700pro is a far superior chipset should still hold true (I have a 9600pro in mine)

So your suggesting it might be wiser to go for a 3grand laptop with the end of 2006 specs similar to that instead of a 5 grand one at the time? Wouldn't a 3 grand 1 be out of date before i finish my 3-4 years of uni?

I am suggesting no such thing, I was merely pointing out that game capable laptops are available in the 3 grand bracket already, If you want to spend 5 grand then do so by all means, If I had a spare 5k to treat myself to another laptop I would do so first thing in the morning.

As for being out of date, By the time they come on the NZ market they are out of date, Those video chipsets have been left in the dust compared to whats on the worldwide market, the yanks have them with 6800 Ultras in them, rocket ships.

And a laptop would be a good buy for me, where i need space, but want gaming power? (also used to ergonomic keyboards lol). Hopefully things will come along way by the time i go to buy.

As long as you realise that all laptops operate at a lesser level then similar speced desktops,and that if you buy a unit packed full of devices that require high power then the battery on't last long, and a large amount of heat will be generated.

Faded_Mantis
10-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Hmm. Well thanks for the help.

I don't think that i could afford a 5k laptop even if it was a one time buy. So if i got one it probally would be a 3k one.

I am aware that laptops preforme below the desktop standard, thats why I was a bit deterred by the gaming preformance of a laptop.

When I do buy one i'll have another think about it. Laptops suit me for mobility and space saving design, but desktops suit me for gaming power. Hopefully in 1 1/2 years time they will be closer in specs.

I thank you for your help, especially Metla.