PDA

View Full Version : System freezing on 2nd disk of multi cd setup

Oggy
06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi this may be related to a post I did a few days back about Rise of Nations freezing the PC when I tried to open it from the desktop shortcut ...

I've tried to install a couple of new games over the weekend but have not been able to complete the installation. The first cd of the setup goes fine but when I insert the second cd to complete the installation, the PC freezes although the mouse still operates. Ctrl Alt Del eventually brings up the task manager although I am unable to exit the frozen setup from there and have to shut down the PC from the front button.

I did trick the PC on the most recent occasion by first copying the 'disk 2' files to the hard drive and pointing there when prompted to insert the second disk. (I subsequently got a run time error when I tried to start the game but I don't know if that's relevant to this problem or not).

Again I don't know if it's relevant or not but I got a message a few times when trying to close down through the task manager 'tfswctrl.exe is being closed down'. I did a google on that file but only found a variety of interpretations on what the file was for so I'm not sure what it does.

It's as if the PC refuses to be directed to e: (the DVD drive) by the user when there is a disk in the holder. Could this be something to do with a security setting?

Any ideas anyone?

Jen
06-06-2005, 04:53 PM
tfswctrl.exe belongs to HP's and Veritas DirectCD program. It needs to run otherwise the functionality of the CD/DVD drive will be impaired. I take it you have a HP computer? The fact it is hanging when you close down (shut down?) suggests the file might be corrupt. Visit the HP website and see if you can find an update to DirectCD or updated CD/DVD drivers. This could possibly be behind your current problems.

Oggy
06-06-2005, 07:17 PM
tfswctrl.exe belongs to HP's and Veritas DirectCD program. It needs to run otherwise the functionality of the CD/DVD drive will be impaired. I take it you have a HP computer? The fact it is hanging when you close down (shut down?) suggests the file might be corrupt. Visit the HP website and see if you can find an update to DirectCD or updated CD/DVD drivers. This could possibly be behind your current problems.

That puzzled me too as I actually have a Dell (9 days old), not an HP. You mentioned the Direct CD program and I'm sure that in my googling of this problem I saw that someone reported a problem where the Sonic CD/DVD writing software (that comes with the Dell PC) had a conflict with DirectCD software which caused freezing. I wonder if I can find that again.....? (In the meantime I'll do a search for that file on my system and see just what program it's attached to.)

Oggy
06-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Hmm, looks as if that file is not limited just to HP. I found it in the Sonic software so I suppose it belongs there.
Back to the drawing board.