PDA

View Full Version : PC Says I'm short of Memory

IanForsyth
04-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi Everyone - I'm having problems with my PC telling me that i have insufficient memory to defrag or scandisk my comuter a Pentium 2 250 Mh Intel with 256 megs sdram and 35 Gigs available HDD

I recently had a PC Meltdown and had to replace 2 drives with a new SAMSUNG 80 Gig drive Obviously my BIOS is not yet updated as it only sees 33 Gigs (i'll update the BIOS from the web [Flashupgrades@esupport.com] after iv'e prepped my system )

Can anyone help with the memory problem please ??

Ian f

IanForsyth
04-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Hi Everyone - I'm having problems with my PC telling me that i have insufficient memory to defrag or scandisk my computer a Pentium 2 350 Mhz Intel with 256 megs sdram and 35 Gigs available HDD

I recently had a PC Meltdown and had to replace 2 drives with a new SAMSUNG 80 Gig drive

Obviously my BIOS is not yet updated as it only sees +/- 33 Gigs (i'll update the BIOS from the web [flashupgrades@esupport.com] after iv'e prepped my system )

Can anyone help with the memory problem please ??

Ian f

Oxie
04-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Ian

Try defragging and scan disk in safe mode.

Oxie (Lyn)

AlphabetSoup
04-06-2005, 07:07 PM
If you are using Windows 95 (SP1), Windows 98 Standard Edition, Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Mellenium then take a read of Micrososft's Support Site article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229154

Regards,

Timothy

drcspy
04-06-2005, 07:34 PM
shouldn't have to update the bios for the whole drive to be usable........check samsung.com for some DDO software, (dynamic drive overlay), most if not all drive makers now have it freely available for download and it 'fools' the bios into accepting the entire drive size without you needing to do a potentially dangerous bios flash..........

beama
05-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Another method to see your whole drive and over come BIOS limitations is partitioning. Remembering of course the limits that Billy boy has put on FAT32.

Your bios will still not see the whole drive but when the OS takes over on boot process it will reconise the other partitions.

In your case you will need to use a non destructive partitioning tool such as Partion Magic or Qpart. OH one last thought dont let the tag Non destructive fool you always back up data there is always potential for disaster using these tools

IanForsyth
05-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Thanks for that - ill give it a tray

IanForsyth
05-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks - i'll try that - i know that BIOS Flashing can be quick - decisive and sometimes deadly - I wish PC World would do an article on it for me - - -and others

Cheers