PDA

View Full Version : Major Meltdown!!

trader15570
03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
I was working away happily, doing nothing unusual. When the screen of my laptop blanked and the hard drive and optical drive started to alternate in operation, doing nothing!

A hard boot resulted in the same response, blank screen whirring drives, no action.

After a little tinkering, I found that re-seating the hard drive allowed access to the bios and from there a boot cd.

Alas, the system locks at various stages of reboot (including from the xp cd and safe mode). These stages range from immediately to halfway through a system restore within xp.

I did at one attempt recieve a cryptic message saying that my 'win32.sys' file was having a few problems. It didn't elaborate on that and froze again.

Each time it freezes, turning it off and re seating the hd is the only way back to the start again! Any restore attempts just freeze before completion, even before the os loads. I have therefore deduced that it is serious and beyond my powers of restoration.

HELP :dogeye:

System: intel p4 3.0GHz
1gb ram
win xp pro os update 2

AlphabetSoup
03-06-2005, 08:52 PM
There was a virus reported a while back that disguises itself as Win32sys.exe and can cause the symptons you are describing.

While getting a virus is bad enoug, given your post I'd rather it be that than something worse such as a hardware failure.

So take a read of this from Microsoft's Support site before doing anything else, just in case it is just that; a virus.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=236772

Regards,

Timothy

Speedy Gonzales
03-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Post a hijackthis log here. We'll see whats in it.

If its the PC you're on at the mo. I havent got a win32.sys file on this. It may not be a Windows file?

trader15570
03-06-2005, 10:16 PM
A hijack this log??

How do I do this?

Speedy Gonzales
04-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Get this http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

From here

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

Make a folder called HJT, unzip the above file into this folder.

Run it then scan and copy and paste, what it brings up back here.

Metla
04-06-2005, 09:54 AM
They won't be able to install and run Hijackthis if the system won't even boot ( as apears to be the case).

It may be best to send it in under warrenty (judging by the specs its pretty new) and really only a hardware fault will stop you booting from the XP cd.

trader15570
04-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah thats right, can't diagnose as I can't complete the boot process. Even freezes in the bios sometimes!

I'm thinking it is a hardware problem. No warrnaty unfortunately, over 2 years old now.

Agent_24
04-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Only thing I can think of would be to get some sort of bootable system checker, like memtest and maybe others and see if they show up any problems?? then you might be able to narrow it down to a certain piece of hardware..

Or since it's out of warranty, you could pull it apart and re-assemble - I've had a couple of 'dead' computers resurrected by doing that.

trader15570
04-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking.
If it were a desktop, no problem.
Never pulled a laptop apart before!

Oh well, no time like the pesent :o

Billy T
04-06-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm thinking it is a hardware problem. No warranty unfortunately, over 2 years old now.

If you get somebody to look at it, and the fault is major, you can still make a warranty claim because the Consumer Guarantees Act does not accept that warranties expire solely on a time basis or as stipulated in the manufacturer's warranty information documents.

The expecation of reasonable life under normal usage conditions takes precedence over suppliers' warranties, so a hard drive that has an expected life of say 5 years but dies after 2 years should be guaranteed for 60% of the replacement value, i.e. you pay 40% of the cost of the replacement drive and probably 40% of any labour charges.

Most people doing warranty repairs don't know or understand that the law applies in this fashion, and even fewer people who have out-of-warranty failures seem to know.

The more people who take the time to find out their rights in these situations, the fewer the number of companies out there that will try to evade their obligations.

Of course you could just shrug your shoulders and pay the bill, or dump it and buy a new one.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)