PDA

View Full Version : msconfig and Startup menu

frankcoulter
02-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Page 105 in NZ PC World for June had a piece by Kirk Steers on removing programs from the Startup menu. But it only gave half the story. The system fights back! (I have Windows XP). If I uncheck a box, the next time I boot it has been checked again. If I go into Selective Startup the box stays unchecked, but next boot I get a message

" ....... The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to be run every time Windows starts. Choose the Normal Startup mode ......."

But if I do this the programs I want to leave off are back again!

To make things worse, this panel has a checkbox "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows Starts". But if I check the box it makes no difference - the panel is back again next time I boot.

How can I permanently get rid of programs listed in the Startup menu? Right clicking does nothing.

Can someone help please.

Frank Coulter

Metla
02-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Use the startup tab in spybot to disable them if the Xp nag screen throws your for a loop.

tweak'e
02-06-2005, 04:06 PM
what program are you trying to disable from startup?
some programs are designed to put the entries back in if you remove them.

Misty
02-06-2005, 08:23 PM
what program are you trying to disable from startup?
some programs are designed to put the entries back in if you remove them.

"Quicktime" is certainly one of these ! - if you have it.
Misty :cool:

Renmoo
03-06-2005, 06:52 AM
Try tweaking your startup program under services instead of msconfig. To do so, type in "services.msc" (without the quotation mark) under the "Run" command. Good Luck!

Cheers :)

Metla
03-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Services are seperate from items in the startup, Where you sent him is not the place to go.

Overdrive_5000
03-06-2005, 11:15 AM
You could try and use a program such as StartupRun which can be found here (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/strun.html)

bob_doe_nz
03-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Or 'Startup Control Panel' Here (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)