PDA

View Full Version : Is my hdd fried???

almunro
01-06-2005, 06:27 PM
my girlfriend was using my computer and said it froze when she tried to access the second hdd. now when i boot up it wont recognise in either the bios or windows.... is the drive fired?? i have two of the same maxtor sata drives, and the one that doesnt get recognise doesnt feel like anything is moving inside when you put your hand on it, or if it is its really faint.... where as the working one you can feel the slight humming vibration of it working.does this mean my drives dead?? i really need the data on it as thats where i stored all my stuff.

Any advice would be great.

Alex

ILikeLinux
01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Pull out the power for the failing hdd, and reseat it fermly, it may just be that it isnt getting power.

Speedy Gonzales
01-06-2005, 06:44 PM
I would check inside the case.

See if either of the SATA's power connections have come off.

almunro
01-06-2005, 07:08 PM
i have tried reseating the connectors, but i have to get a star wrench to get inside the case.

almunro
01-06-2005, 11:21 PM
i couldnt see why it would be the connections if it worked fine one day and then didnt the next.... maybe any other reasons?? is it corrupted??

Jen
02-06-2005, 06:26 AM
i have tried reseating the connectors, but i have to get a star wrench to get inside the case.Are these external hard drives? Just wondering how you checked the sATA connections when you haven't opened up the computer case yet? Not quite sure what a star-wrench is, but most cases are opened using thumbscrews or phillip screwdrivers to undo the screws. This is important information to mention about what sort of drive they are. If they are external drives, then have you tried the dud drive in the working drives enclosure?

ILikeLinux
02-06-2005, 06:36 AM
i have tried reseating the connectors, but i have to get a star wrench to get inside the case.

NO! DONOT OPEN THE HARD DISK CASE. doingso will only make matters worse, e.g void of warrenty corruption of data... propper ruining of the hdd, the list goes on.

Organicpete
02-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Yep almunro don't mess with the HD case !!!
don't want to let the vacumn out ;)

almunro
02-06-2005, 12:45 PM
ok it is a internal maxtor diamondplus9 sata 160 gig hdd. it has screws that have a star shape instead of say a normal allen wrench shape. i wont open the case then.

is there anything i can do to get it going or should i look into data retreival... even tho its very exxxy.

Alex

Murray P
02-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Don't try to access the drive, physically or by read/writing to it. Doing so will lessen your chances of data retrieval if the drive is failing. (Never, ever, open a drive case of an internal drive if it has data on it you want, or your going to return it to get a replacement under warrenty. Those screws are different for a very good reason, to stop you from messing with the drive.)

Go to Maxtor's website and download a bootable drive test utility (if you don't already have one) or, download a 3rd party boot disc to test the drive. Look for one that will scan the file system, disc surface (surface scan) and test the controller communications, if such a Maxtor tool is available, otherwise go with what they have got. Note: MS scandisk only checks the files system for errors, it does not do a true surface scan, it does not check the controller.

Some drive scanning utilities can give you the option of 'attempting' to retrieve data data. If the data is very important to you, weigh up the costs of professional data retrieval against your own amatuer attempts. The more you fiddle with the drive data, the more difficult and costly retrieval will be.

You could try the drive on a different IDE channel and Molex power connecter or better still, in a different computer. Do not try to write to it, just see if it works.

Graham L
02-06-2005, 04:53 PM
I think the "star" wrench referred to is a Torx screwdriver. ;) The screws come in two flavours; some are "security Torx", with a pin in the centre. (Although the Torx shape is very different from the Allen screw hexagon, the right size Allen key will work as a desperation measure.)

Compaq and IBM (at least) sometimes used them on computer boxes; they are pretty universally used on hard disk cases.

But open a hard disk case only if you want a pretty paperweight.

almunro
02-06-2005, 08:16 PM
okay ive been reading the maxtor website and in their faq they do have a section on how to tell what your problem is. i have come to the conclusion that the drive is not spinning up and therefore not being seen. does this mean the problem with the drive is an internal power problem and all my data would be ok???

Speedy Gonzales
02-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Well as stated before I would open the case (the pc case), not the hdd case, see if power is going to the hdd, and make sure theyr'e on AUTO in the BIOS

If the BIOS doesn't detect the hdd/s on bootup/post, then it may well be the power thats the problem.

Murray P
02-06-2005, 08:38 PM
okay ive been reading the maxtor website and in their faq they do have a section on how to tell what your problem is. i have come to the conclusion that the drive is not spinning up and therefore not being seen. does this mean the problem with the drive is an internal power problem and all my data would be ok???

Could be, hard to know, test it. If there are errors they may be useful to diagnosing the problem.

If it won't spin up due to a power problem or it's completely dead, it will not be possible 'for you' to test the drive's file system or surface, but you could still test the controller AFAIK.

Have you tried it on a different channel and power connector? If it's a power problem in your PC, all should be fine. If it's a power problem in the drive or a logic board problem, there's a very good chance the data is fine and will be recoverable by plugging the drive in to the correct 'professional' gear (expensive).

Have you tried a known good drive on the same channel? Use a drive that does not have important data.

gibler
02-06-2005, 08:45 PM

Maybe your circuit board on the hard drive has failed. Now, it is possible to attempt to recover by borrowing a good circuit board from exactly the same model and installing that (although getting an exact match is tricky is hard because the firmware ideally needs to be the same). I've seen this tried but alas it didn't help.

Another "trick" is to freeze the drive in a bag but I think this is just an urban myth.

Of course this all voids your warranty.

After this (and trying it in a few different motherboards, with different cables) time to pay your $$$ and get the experts. And also spend some extra $$$ on a backup system.

almunro
02-06-2005, 10:32 PM
ok i have tried the maxtor disk diagnostics software and that doesnt recognise the hdd. i plugged it back in and now it feels like its spinning up a ok. ive tried all the bios modes including auto detect. still nothing.

KatiMike
02-06-2005, 11:58 PM
It does sound like your HDD has a major problem , and it would be great to get the info off it yourself [ without having to resort to a data recovery company ] and to this end I think gibler has made a good suggestion - try taking out the drive , bagging it up [ to protect it from moisture ] then pop it in the freezer for a few hours ... then put it back in the 'puter and try and copy the data off it to another drive . It may run long enough to get the data transfered . :)