PDA

View Full Version : P4 3.4ghz running hot temps

azaufc
28-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Hi, got a problem to address with you all. Hope someone can help.

I'm running a P4 LGA775 3.4ghz cpu 800mhz fsb.
I have it bolted to an Abit AA8XE 3rd eye mobo (Intel 925XE chipset.)
It's in an aluminium antec case with the 2 120mm case fans, power supply fan, cpu and heatsink fan, and north port mobo fan just below cpu.

Now, i have applied some thermal compound, quality silver stuff. Bolted it to the mobo and fired it up. It started running hot at about 70*c, viewing constant tempereture with the external mobo monitor clock. The temp flucuates alot, and generally sits at about 50*c on idle, up to about 70 when performing. It has not been oc'd at all ever, and i have removed, cleaned and reapplied compound.

Other temp readings are normal except for the area around the cpu, which is between 40 and 50*c.
I am not running it hard, and i would have thought that the standard fan and heatsink with my case fans should keep it close to 40*c.

Anybody got any ideas, water cooling or more fans is an idea but i shouldnt need to seeings it's not oc'd. Look forward to hearing some responses.

CHeers

Oh by the way, what a **** idea intel have with the way the LGA775 cpu bolts to the mobo. Pathetic little clips. LOL

Thanks for your help.

Aaron :D

Jen
28-05-2005, 10:02 PM
How much thermal paste did you apply? It only needs a very tiny amount. Too much paste can cause high temperatures.

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2005, 10:16 PM
If it's a Prescott CPU, they usually get hot.

Nothing to worry about really.

chiefnz
28-05-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm running a P4 LGA775 3.4ghz cpu 800mhz fsb. I have it bolted to an Abit AA8XE 3rd eye mobo (Intel 925XE chipset.)

If it's a Prescott CPU, they usually get hot. Nothing to worry about really.

If it's an LGA775 then it's not a Prescott... or am I wrong?

If it was a Prescott then yeah it's not too big a problem. You may want to clean the thermal compound off and re-apply a new layer. If you've applied too much then it won't work effectively.

cheers

chiefnz

vapo
28-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Oh by the way, what a **** idea intel have with the way the LGA775 cpu bolts to the mobo. Pathetic little clips. LOL
I know, they are a pain. ;) Did you remember to push them in hard, then twist the screw things to lock it? It may not be making proper contact with the heatsink.

But yeah 50C idle, 70C load isn't far off for a P4 LGA775. You could get a better air HSF if necessary. Download Throttlewatch (http://www.panopsys.com/Downloads.html) and start logging. Then get the CPU as hot as possible, dual instances (for HT CPU) Prime 95 max heat torture test is my favourite. Run it for a good 15-20mins. Then when it is really hot see if the CPU is throttling. If it is, then I would get a better cooling solution. If not then it's nothing to worry about really.

azaufc
29-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I also thought that i may have added too much compound, so i cleaned and reapplied a lesser amount. It is a prescott, and i have read that they run a little hotter it just semmed a little too hot. I gave the pins a good push as i twisted the clips, helped a little.
Since leaving the pc running for a couple of hours, then playing call of duty for a while, the temp has gone down a bit more. I then used the guru clock to oc a little (to 3.74ghz), and strangely enough, the temp actually went straight down 3*c! :@@: After leaving it running for a bit longer, it is now sitting on 45-47*c, which i am comfortable with. Even when playing cod at full settings, it has only gone up to 54. Seems a little odd to me, but you get that.
i will keep you guys posted with how it goes, and thanks for the replies.

Btw.
If it's an LGA775 then it's not a Prescott... or am I wrong? thanks for the reply "chiefnz", but it is a Prescott, i'm not sure why you would think that LGA775 Prescotts don't exist. 775 is the newest Intel form.

Thanks guys. Any ideas on how to fit more fans to a "full" case?

Cheers

P4 3.4ghz Prescott @ 3.74 ghz, 800 mhz fsb
1gb single stick DDR2 pc4200 Corsair (4 4 4 12)
Abit AA8XE 3rd eye Guru 1066 fsb mobo
Radeon 6600GT PCI Express
True Blue 2.0 480 watt psu
Antec Super Lanboy case
19" Samsung LCD with 8 ms response.

Aaron

memphis
29-05-2005, 01:34 AM
You seem to have good cooling what with 2 120mm case fans.

If you wanted you could add a 120 mm side fan.

Or get a thermalright 120mm hsf or a zalman hsf 120mm or anyother make.

I guess you dont have anything blocking the case fans,and there is no dust inside the case or fans.

But really you should be ok with what you have allready.

azaufc
29-05-2005, 01:40 AM
Thanks Memphis.
I was considering one of Zalman's heatsink and fan assemblies. I can get computer stuff cheaper, so maybe i will consider it.
Do you, or anyone else use a non standard hsf? Are these any good? Worth the money?

Cheers

memphis
29-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Yes I upgrade my original hsf the one that comes with the cpu for something that is quieter/better cooling as it allways seems to be one of the noisy components in the computer.

I use a thermalright 120 mm hsf for that reason and personally no regreats for the upgrade. :thumbs:

Check for compatability with your moutherboard first before buying.

Read the reviews on the different hsf on the web do a google search or go to www.overclockers.com.au

tweak'e
29-05-2005, 10:17 AM
one small thing, the temps do tend to bounce around a fair bit after applying new thermal paste. that is normall. it will settle down after a while.

Big John
29-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi, got a problem to address with you all. Hope someone can help.

I'm running a P4 LGA775 3.4ghz cpu 800mhz fsb.
I have it bolted to an Abit AA8XE 3rd eye mobo (Intel 925XE chipset.)
It's in an aluminium antec case with the 2 120mm case fans, power supply fan, cpu and heatsink fan, and north port mobo fan just below cpu.

Now, i have applied some thermal compound, quality silver stuff. Bolted it to the mobo and fired it up. It started running hot at about 70*c, viewing constant tempereture with the external mobo monitor clock. The temp flucuates alot, and generally sits at about 50*c on idle, up to about 70 when performing. It has not been oc'd at all ever, and i have removed, cleaned and reapplied compound.

Aaron :D

I have a 3.6 I have just built into an ASUS P5AD2 using just the standard heatsink that came with the CPU. At idle it runs at a constant 35 degrees and when working full out it runs at a constant 60 degrees. It goes up and down between depending on load. As soon as it comes off full load the drop in temperature is rapid.

On the other hand my 3.2Ghz running with a huge Zalman cooler runs at around 36 at idle and have seen it get to 73 degrees under full load but it is as stable as they come.

One thing to note is that MB/CPU sensors are not that accurate and may be way out in what they are actually telling you. Only true way is to use proper calibrated probes.