PDA

View Full Version : Mp3 Files

tirikatene
28-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Have been given a disk of mp3 audio files recorded on a CD-R. Winamp and WMP will not recognize the files, but the disk plays well on my DVD player?
Is it a software problem and I need a different program or is it hardware and I would need a DVD player on the computer?
Thanks! Tirikatene :dogeye:

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Either should play them. Is it an audio cd or MP3 cd?

What happens when u put the cd in a cd rom??

Anything appear asking u which program u can use?

tirikatene
28-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Not sure what type of disc it is - don't think its an Audio CD - probably an mp3 disk?
All winamp does - is flicker and shows a zero? - so thought maybe it will noly play on a DVD player?
Thanks, Tirikatene :dogeye:

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Hmm put the cd in again..

Hold shift down, while u chuck it in the cd.

Then open My computer or windows explorer. And highlight the cd / right mouse / open.. whats it show? MP3's or cda files?

tirikatene
28-05-2005, 09:12 PM
says: type of file CDFS

extention on each individual file is .mp3

wondering if I have to have a CD/DVD combo drive paly this disk?

Thanks, Tirikatene :groan:

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Nope shouldnt need a dvd/cd combo.

What happens if u open winamp or WMP and point it to the cd??

Or click on an MP3 on this CD?

Nothing?

tirikatene
28-05-2005, 09:24 PM
WMP comes up with the error message:
"The system cannotfind file specified"

Winamp doesn't shoe and error message just zeros and flickers

I put it in my stereo system and all you can hear is a squeaky data type noise.
My brother tried it earlier on his stereo system and it plays ok - his is newer
than mine and might be able to play more types of disks?

Thanks, Tirikatene. :eek:

ProMaz
28-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Try this:

Go to My Computer - Open (not play, if it won't open, right click on it and go open) the CD when it is in the drive and try Copying and Pasting one of the MP3's onto your computer (so to the C Drive). The try to play that file and see what happens. Post again with results :)

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Hmm well it sounds like its an MP3 cd, which some, not all stereos can read, or play.

Altho I spose it depends on how it was recorded (those MP3's) to the cd and how and what program was used.

It sounds like whoever did this cd may have copied the mp3's directly to the cd, without using some kind of program, like nero to make an MP3 cd.

And it hasnt been finalised or something. BUT then I doubt a stereo would be able to play the cd this way.. More recent stereos yup will be able to play MP3 cd's.. and normal audio cd's.

Most audio cd's (you make up / burn) are MP3's that have been converted to CDA format, if u use programs like Nero. This format most cd players will play.

tirikatene
28-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Nope! - seems to accept copy ok - but when I try and paste it in C: folder - it comes up with the error message "cannot copy file - file system error (1026)
Forgot to mention I am still runnimg Win 98 SE if that makes a difference to everything?

Thanks, Tirikatene

ProMaz
28-05-2005, 09:48 PM
"cannot copy file - file system error (1026)

Thats strange, that message usually means its a broken file or shortcut, meaning the file doesn't excist ...

tirikatene
28-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Will go off line for the night and have a play with Nero to see if I can copy files to the hard drive and reburn back onto a blank CD.

Hope that makes sense. If I have any success will let you know.

Thanks very much for your time and effort - if you comes up with anything more please let me know.

Thanks again, Tirikatene :thumbs: