PDA

View Full Version : Downloader recomendation please ...

Organicpete
28-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi Guys,
I used Star downloader for a long time and its great. Problem is my daughter complained it couldn't handle some file types..never argue with a Harry Potter enthusiast. :eek:
So I hoped off to Twocows and got Freshdownload which is nice too but seems to hit a timeout error thing after a few minutes.

So we need a new one...needs to support resume :)
cheers
Pete

ruup
28-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi,have you thought of using Opera ? it comes with a built in download manager ...
cheers
ruup :)

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Yer I tried freshdownload it was crap lol. And it used to crash itself often.

Try this http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ its free, spyware free.

And it works in Opera, firefox, IE and Netscape. So, it says. Ive used it in Opera tho. It works good.

In this program (if u use Opera), u have to go to options/download options and tick Opera 6/7, and then point it to the opera folder/program/plugins folder, and it'll create the file to catch files for opera.

mark c
28-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Mozilla Seamonkey has got a downloader too. Probably all the Mozillas do

I have used it for a few months now and never had any problems. Simple, easy interface and works like a charm. I went around the block looking at "free standing" downloaders but the built it ones have been better for me.

IMHO.....m

Trev
28-05-2005, 09:13 AM
I use Getright Pro. http://pro.getright.com/

Trevor:)

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Yer Getright is OK, but it isnt free.

DaveBritton
28-05-2005, 09:36 AM
firefox has a built in downloader and its really good, but i mainly download off p2p networks, so you may want to ignore me.

Renmoo
28-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Yer Getright is OK, but it isnt free.
You can get past the money thing...... But I am not telling how for fear of being banned :rolleyes: Btw, Getright is the best, dare I say.

Cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Yer true James. BUT lets not go there :D

Nah they do the same thing anyway. (Some better than others).

BUT this program I use works good.

Greg
28-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Getright contains (or at least used to) spyware. The Opera option sounds good. Never used a download manager myself... really not sure what the purpose is. Eg I did a 7 hour overnight download recently without a hitch. Maybe it's more useful for dialup with erratic connections?

Cptn Hotshot
28-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Leechget is what you need .... free .... supports resume provided the downloading site does as well. Simple!

Trev
28-05-2005, 11:32 AM
A couple of good things you can do with Getright. A if you are on dialup you can select an option to disconnect from the internet when D/L has finished. You can select to turn off computer when D/L is finished and also select auto scan D/L for viruse's when finished.

Trevor :)

Speedy Gonzales
28-05-2005, 11:38 AM
You can do the same in free download manager

lazydog
28-05-2005, 11:39 AM
I use FreeDownLoadManager like speedy does and it rocks. Best free download manager i've used. You can stop and resume your downloads whenever you want or shedule them to start when you want and it hangs up when finished. Good for those all nighters.
I use it with FireFox and found it under the "Extensions" section. Works with all browsers too, i'm pretty sure and has no spyware hidden like alot of those other free downloaders.

Tony
28-05-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised to see people hammering FreshDownload. I've used it for a long time and it works great for me (and the price is right!). The only problem I've found is that sometimes in Firefox it fails to start and the Firefox downloader gets in first. Don't know why that is, and in fact it seems to happen a lot less than it used to.

Organicpete
28-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies Guys :)
I have Opera so got it on the job and its doing well.

Will have a look at FreeDownLoadManager too...the schedule and disco on completion sounds good....same for Leechget
Too mean to pay so Getrights out unfortunately

Greg, I want a dl manager as I need resume. Often have to split sessions due to needing the phone etc...and the kid wants Harry Potter dls all the time :)

I was only dumping Freshdler because it seemed unable to complete more than half a meg with out crapping out.

cheers
Pete

Murray P
28-05-2005, 03:09 PM
There are some good download manager reviews at Safer Networking (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/articles/download-managers.html). Lists the pros and cons of each one with the spyware/adware infested ones being especially important to watch out for.

TonyF
28-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Opera goes fine,Organicpete. I have tried a variety of others and decided that Opera did everything. It has never faltered. The Resume function is fine, even to continuing the next day.
Cheers TonyF