PDA

View Full Version : Torrents

DisConnect
27-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Just wondering if anybody knows where to download torrents of TV programs such as COPS, world wildest police chase, etc.? tvtorrents.com do not have these programs...

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2005, 12:03 PM
For things like that, the best way is to Google like so:
COPS torrent

Or perhaps:
tv cops torrent

Chill.

sal
27-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Also recently (http://news.google.co.nz/news?q=bittorrent.com) the creator of bittorrent released an 'official' torrent search. I haven't used it so don't know how well it does.

http://www.bittorrent.com/

/me wonders if the line has been crossed

techiekid
27-05-2005, 07:02 PM
are torrents legal

plod
27-05-2005, 07:11 PM
It depends what the torrents are, I download a few audio files that are released through torrent because its a good method. It doesn't tie up their servers

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Expanding on what Plod said... I use bittorrent with Linux Distros.

It means fairer sharing than just burdening some server....

Short answer: Yes, Torrents are
Longer answer: It depends on what the torrent is of that makes it legal/illegal. Latest starwars movie? Not legal! Slackware Linux? Yes!

4bes
27-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Short answer: Yes, Torrents are
Longer answer: It depends on what the torrent is of that makes it legal/illegal. Latest starwars movie? Not legal! Slackware Linux? Yes!

TV torrents? no!

See the acticle here (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds21163.html). It's a breach of copyright.

It makes you wonder where it will stop. Next they will be making movies/music/tv programs and then charging everyone not to see them :rolleyes:

gibler
27-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Er, isn't this copyright infringement.. :rolleyes:

plod
27-05-2005, 08:19 PM
TV torrents? no!

See the acticle here (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds21163.html). It's a breach of copyright.

It makes you wonder where it will stop. Next they will be making movies/music/tv programs and then charging everyone not to see them :rolleyes:
Wrong BBC are trialing it at the moment, programs are being released a week after they aired

4bes
27-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Wrong BBC are trialing it at the moment, programs are being released a week after they aired

But wouldn't that be with the programs that they own the copyrights to?

I think that is a completely different thing to Joe Bloggs recording and distributing a program when he doesn't own the copyright

plod
27-05-2005, 09:33 PM
But wouldn't that be with the programs that they own the copyrights to?

I think that is a completely different thing to Joe Bloggs recording and distributing a program when he doesn't own the copyright
the fact is torrents is a completely legal way of distributing media, wether that be music, movies or software.
Yes there are illegal torrents out there, but there are a lot of legitimit stuff as well. even some tv programs can be downloaded legally........
Anyway dont feel bad about downloading tv programs you dont have the right to, you probably being doing the same with your vcr for the last 20 years.

DisConnect
29-05-2005, 04:27 AM
Why aren't torrents legal! I totally support torrents... :) who doesn't support torrents??? It's so convenient to have torrents since if you miss an episode on tv... you don't even need to worry about setting up the VCR to record the program... just get online... download that episode... and done! you even get to keep the episode for future re-viewing...

DisConnect
29-05-2005, 04:30 AM
I recon if you download the programs and use it for personal consumption it's pretty decent... but if you're actually downloading them with the intend of distributing the programs freely... then... that's considered a major copyright infringement.

techiekid
29-05-2005, 08:55 AM
I recon if you download the programs and use it for personal consumption it's pretty decent... but if you're actually downloading them with the intend of distributing the programs freely... then... that's considered a major copyright infringement.

I love torrents (clap clap clap)

Prescott
29-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Why aren't torrents legal! I totally support torrents... :) who doesn't support torrents???

me, lol only because i have dial up :p if i had something better than dial up then i would support it 100%... :thumbs:

plod
29-05-2005, 04:09 PM
me, lol only because i have dial up :p if i had something better than dial up then i would support it 100%... :thumbs:
It seem's somebody need's to treat themselves

Prescott
29-05-2005, 04:59 PM
It seem's somebody need's to treat themselves

if telecom is willing to upgrade the line.... sure why not...

TonyF
29-05-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm on Telstra cable, and most things come in close to the 2 Mbit rate. What for me would be the advantage of Torrent ?
Cheers
Tony

Prescott
29-05-2005, 05:35 PM
speed of the download, and the simplicity of finding a file you want and downloading it quicker than p2p

TonyF
29-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi Prescott. Chilly down there ?
I'm not into Pop or songs. Major Geeks usually tells me about new files. Again, so why Torrent ?

Cheers Tony

Prescott
29-05-2005, 06:52 PM
yup sure is really cold today....

plod
29-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Hi Prescott. Chilly down there ?
I'm not into Pop or songs. Major Geeks usually tells me about new files. Again, so why Torrent ?

Cheers Tony
some files are only released on torrent, so thats why.
just yell out if you want an example, and yes telstra cable is great!

TonyF
29-05-2005, 07:13 PM
OK Plod. Example ???
Cheers T

plod
29-05-2005, 07:20 PM
OK Plod. Example ???
Cheers T
o.k check out system (http://systm.org/) and if your after geeky, this will do it for you ,

Prescott
29-05-2005, 07:28 PM
linux distros are realeased on there quite a bit, gets them released to the public quickly....

TonyF
29-05-2005, 08:24 PM
some files are only released on torrent, so thats why.
just yell out if you want an example
!
I looked at system.org, but I thought that by "example" you were going to quote a file.
Cheers
T

plod
29-05-2005, 08:29 PM
I looked at system.org, but I thought that by "example" you were going to quote a file.
Cheers
T
well i did there is one file to download in various formats which suit you, all using bittorrent, what did you want me to Quote?
System is made by some of the old cast members of the sceen savers, it's about a 5min video of a project they have done