PDA

View Full Version : Burning DVDs to be read in a DVD-ROM drive

Mike
26-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I have a DVD Burner and a DVD ROM drive. What do I have to do to be able to read a DVD I burn in the DVD ROM drive (rather than only in the burner)? Both drives are in the same machine. DVDs I burn I cannot read in the DVDROM. Is it the type of disk I'm using? Or the DVDROM? Or is it some setting that I shouldn't set, or one I'm overlooking?

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Disc type, firmware version can affect the QUALITY of the burn too.

What model reader and writer?

Mike
26-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Disc type, firmware version can affect the QUALITY of the burn too.

What model reader and writer?Disk type might be an issue I suppose. Firmware is the latest for both drives. Burner is a BTC DVDRW IDE1004. Reader is a BTC MT1316B BDV212B.

Somebody I know suggested it could be the +R or -R (he didn't know which) that is more compatible in readers than the other?

Mike.

Edward
26-05-2005, 08:34 PM
-R is more compatible

Drives can be picky as to what types they take. Tried different brands of disk?

Mercury
26-05-2005, 10:26 PM
DVD+ and DVD- are two completely different formats supported by different manufacturers.

Have a read about it here (http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2003/DVDFormatsExplained.asp)

If you still have the manuals for the two drives fish them out and see which format the drives support. Mine says it in large letters on the front cover (and yeah... I didn't see the large letters until after I fell into the trap myself)

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Try DVD-R and try burning it at 1x

Mike
26-06-2005, 01:02 PM
It turns out that my DVD-ROM drive cannot read DVD-R or DVD+R - only factory pressed DVDs can be read in that drive :(

Ah well.

Mike.