PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft media Centre installation

rmb61
26-05-2005, 03:18 PM
I am endeavouring to install the above application onto a computer.

the installation runs normally until I get to a point where I am asked to insert the CD "windows XP professional SP2", I do this and press enter and a box appears that has D:\i386 and it is looking for a file called "iexplore".

At this point I press OK and the box reappears and tells me and cannot find the file. The D. drive is in the CD-ROM drive. I have looked at the Windows service Pack CD and there is no folder called I386. when I searched the CD there is no file called "iexplore".

I have compared the file structure on my service Pack 2CDwith a friends copy and they are both identical.

I thought that I could bypass this step and install service Pack 2 after installing Windows XP. the Windows installation was complete Internet Explorer was not available. when I click the icon on the desktop a box appears asking me what program I want to use to open it. It appears that there is no Internet Explorer loaded. I also have no installer that will allow me to install and other program. See my other post yesterday.

Any Help Appreciated.

4bes
26-05-2005, 03:58 PM
It's probably looking for the full version of windows XP Pro including service pack 2, not just the service pack 2 disk.

BIFF
26-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Media Center is only supposed to be sold to OEMs as it is a lot more difficult to build a Media Center PC than to install a copy of Windows XP.
If your pavilion was a media center PC then it should come with a recovery CD. If not then I suggest you don't try it.

If you really want to build a roll your own one I suggest you check out
www.thegreenbutton.com

rmb61
27-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the advice, sounds good to me. I have just installed plain old XP and it went smoothly..