PDA

View Full Version : No signal PLEASE help anyone

mode73
26-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I really need help with this. I installed a dialup modem to test to see if the one in my machine was not working (as i am waiting for my broadband to get changed over) but everything was fine. so I put back my old one started up my machine and nothing.
The computer is running, everything seems to work fine but there is no start up just a blank screen and when I switch on the monitor all i get is "no signal" and when I go to shut down it won't so I am am not sure if this is because there is no start up. So please can any one help me or suggest somewhere I can take it to get sorted, I am in newlands just outside wellington (and will it make a difference knowing the pc is from the uk) but I really need it sorted asap as I work from home.

Please some one help me.

Cheers

Mark

Peterj116
26-05-2005, 02:24 PM
A monitor that says "no signal" means just that. There's no signal going from the PC to the monitor.
Check the back of the PC. Got onboard video and a video card?
May have plugged the monitor connector into the wrong one. Been there, done that.

godfather
26-05-2005, 02:44 PM
But if the computer is not actually booting, the "no signal" will be displayed by the monitor as well.

A simple test to see if it has booted is to check that the Caps Lock light toggles on/off when the Caps Lock key is pressed.

Recheck everything in the PC. Chances are high that a card is partially dislodged.

Graham L
26-05-2005, 06:55 PM
IDE cables (for disk drives) are very hard to pull out intentionally. They come (partially) out by accident very easily when you are doing other things inside a case. ;)

Peterj116
26-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Wrong thread, Graham?

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=58242

:D

Graham L
27-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Nope. Just suggesting yet another another cause of non-booting.

Peterj116
27-05-2005, 07:35 PM
I wish he'd come back & give us some feedback or more info.

Any beep codes?

"The computer is running..."
Running as in what? Power light stays on? Hard drive activity light doing anything? Got another monitor to test it on?

"... everything seems to work fine but there is no start up just a blank screen.." Bit of a contradiction, there.

"...and when I switch on the monitor all i get is "no signal" and when I go to shut down it won't.."
Shut down how? Cold boot?

Anyone got a free Auckland-Wellington plane ticket lying around?

:D