PDA

View Full Version : DVD-rom not responding

Windo
26-05-2005, 08:09 AM
My DVD rom is not responding the way it should. It runs really slow and crashes on me all the time.

I was infected by Alcan.A worm. I got rid of it and all its p2p stuff and the msconfig thing. Then my DVD run as it should, but then stoped doing so after a while.
I really need help! I can find anything that will work ..
Im starting to think that it might be something wrong with the actual Hardware.

Please Help

/W

Windo
26-05-2005, 08:35 AM
My DVD-rom is not responding as it should, It runs very slow and has problems going from title to title.
I was infected with the Alcan.A worm and that messed up a lot of stuff, but I fixed that, got rid of all the p2p components and msconfig and all that.
Then my dvd worked nice for a while, but now its back to being all slow again.

Please help, I need it to work for my school projects!

/M.W

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2005, 09:35 AM
You only have to post one post in one place Windo.

You've posted this same question in the other forum.

I doubt very much Alcan damaged a DVD.

Check the cables in the case going to the DVD. And check whether the DVD is on Secondary master or slave.

It isnt on the same ide channel as a hard drive is it?? As this can cause problems, if it is.

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Check the other post you posted Windo for a reply.

Jen/Chill/Bruce.

Can these two posts be merged?

Jen
26-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Posts have been merged. And to help others with this problem, here is the thread that was created yesterday on the same problem - see here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=58224).

A small tip, you don't need to make posts in both forums, just make a single post in the correct forum for your question. If you are still needing help, then post back in your original thread stating that you still need assistance rather than reposting the same question again. This makes it easy for people to see what has already been suggested but hasn't resolved the issue. :)

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Ta Jen for that :)

Windo
27-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Sorry about the double post.. as you can see I'm one of those "Junior" members ;)

Anyways. I doubt that it is my cables that are not correctly conected, It worked fine befor and I have not moved the computor at all.
The weird thing is that I can burn with the DVD-rom without any problem, but I cant play ether dvd's or audio Cd's with it.
As soon as I try to play anything in the rom the whole system slow down untill i finaly manage to quit the player (usualy takes a while) or just eject the rom.

So what do you think?

/m

Metla
27-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Change your default media player.

Windo
27-05-2005, 01:36 AM
dosent seem to work.. I might be wrong though .. how do I see what is set as default media player..

pctek
28-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Then perhaps the problem is with your soundcard?

Windo
31-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Noop its not the sound card .. I can play wav's mp3 and any other media thats allready on the computor. It's just having a really hard time reading anything from the Rom.

Graham L
31-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Check the Properties of the drive. It would probably work best if the DMA transfer mode is set.

If it will burn a DVD there can't be too much wrong with the hardware. ;)

Windo
31-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Cheers Man ... !!!!

I cant thank you enough!!!

I changed the DMA settings and now it works again! but there is one small thing.
When I play a DVD, (and it seems like only when I fastforward, but Im not sure) the DMA settings after a while jump back to the non working DMA settings "PIO mode"
you know any way I can fix so it doesnt swich back?

Thanx again!

CroMagnusMan