PDA

View Full Version : Wireless keyboard and mouse

Ninjabear
24-05-2005, 06:24 PM
I wanna get a wireless keyboard and mouse once i get my new computer.

What do I need inorder for my computer to use the device?

Does it require Drivers inorder for the wireless to work?

Will be using windows xp service pack 2 next month!

ITs selling at $50 at trademe so will get one there

somebody
24-05-2005, 06:50 PM
You don't need drivers to make the mouse and keyboard work, however you will need them to make special keys work - eg quick launch multimedia keys, scroll wheel on the mouse etc. They should come with the package.

Make sure that the particular one you're getting has either rechargable batteries for the mouse (and 2 sets), or have a very good life. My wireless mice chew through a set of rechargable batteries every 2 days.

Jen
24-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Make sure that the particular one you're getting has either rechargable batteries for the mouse (and 2 sets), or have a very good life. My wireless mice chew through a set of rechargable batteries every 2 days.Every two days?! :eek:

I have a wireless mouse and standard batteries last for about 4-6 months. It is one of Microsoft's longer wireless battery life products - see here (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=002). My model is the black *leather* one :D

It might be worth spending a bit more money for a product that won't chew through the batteries so fast. It will probably be more economical and less frustrating than having to change batteries all the time.

Prescott
24-05-2005, 07:15 PM
or get a mouse that you can put on a desktop charger, or what ever those are called, you can get them for phones too.

Ninjabear
24-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Whats the maxiumum distance that the keyboard and mouse can go ?

Im looking at the trademe auction of no 27767359
Hmm yess..!!!What do you think?

Jen
24-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Im looking at the trademe auction of no 27767359
Hmm yess..!!!What do you think?Looks nice. It is one of the long lasting battery MS products with a +6 month battery lifespan. Did you notice that is has the curved keyboard style?

Microsoft details (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=028)

A very quick google shows that same product available in the price range ~ $151.88 - $287.80 (includ GST) in NZ.

Ninjabear
24-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Whats the advantages of a optical scrolling mouse vs a normal usb mouse or ps2 port mouse?By normal I meant the old mouses that have a ball underneath

Ninjabear
24-05-2005, 09:24 PM
yes.I delibrately chose that one because it had a curved.I'm using one with a curve too.I find the straight one a bit hard to use..

But I think... almost everyone would prefer the straight ones.

Do u prefer the straight or the curve keyboard jen?

Jen
24-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I prefer the standard format keyboard, although I have tried the ergonomic style ones (split keyboard) and found it rather odd. Didn't stick with it as I use a range of PC's everyday at work and it would be too hard switching between styles.

Whats the advantages of a optical scrolling mouse vs a normal usb mouse or ps2 port mouse?By normal I meant the old mouses that have a ball underneathOptical mice are great. No more gunk getting up inside and the movement is nice and smooth. They don't work so well on some surfaces unless you use a mouse pad as well.

Ninjabear
24-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Do you prefer trackball mouse or the scrolling ones?

I wonder if the wireless can go for like 4 metres away from the transmitter.

DaveBritton
25-05-2005, 03:54 AM
i have the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v2.0 it is battery reliable (keyboard goes through a set in about 1-2 months and mouse lasts (i havn't had to replace them yet)) and its only 30.49 Including VAT at 17.5%
the range on it is about 10-12 meters (i cant see the writing on the screen from this far away so dont worry about distance) and you dont need to download or install drivers, the media keys and hotkeys work when you plug it in.

im sure you could find it elsewhere in the US or other places.

Ninjabear
25-05-2005, 04:38 AM
Seems as thought wireless keyboard and mouse don't work with windows 98se..Any ideas why not?

DaveBritton
25-05-2005, 05:10 AM
98se isnt great for plug-and-play try plugging them into ps/2 ports if you are using the usb counterparts (you get adapters with most packages).

somebody
25-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Mine was an el-cheapo one which I bought overseas.

Metla
25-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Seems as thought wireless keyboard and mouse don't work with windows 98se..Any ideas why not?

Because its now 2005.

Rob99
25-05-2005, 11:58 AM
I use the wireless setup that you saw on trade me, I find the slightly curved keyboard eaiser to use. I would give the setup a 9 out of 10.

I have tried about 3 or 4 different wireless setups mostly Genius and they are total crap.

IMO MS make the best mouses and keyboards, although I havent tried logitech; too pricy.

Metla
25-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Regarding the mouses (non-wireless) I have a logitech mx510 and the MS Platinum Explorer, Both are far better then the average mouse but the logitech is far far superiour to the MS effort, though $130 odd dollars for a mouse is a bit steep....

Logitech high end components are all class.