PDA

View Full Version : Lost : Word.....assignment.

beetle
22-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Ok i have an ongoing journal - weekly adding to it, and hand it in fortnightly.

Last week i added a nother page and a half..... i have 21 pages saved. i added 1 1/2 more pages and saved it, and now when i open it....its not there??? im feeling a bit angry cos i know i saved it, i just cant find it....

any help for suggestions on how i could find it much appreciated. as i need to add another 2 pages and hand both lots in thi week...final pages.....

its saved a doc, and i have it set to save every minute...but i think this is not happening.... but i always do a manual save before i close the page.....

i do this lots and occasionally have this problem, and its always a major for me and i never recover the data.....

i dont need this problem at this stage in my life....... i have a bad feeling that computer was left running , while i ran off to do errand........and a little person came a long and unplugged it while this was on the screen????? while running.
days ago now so not if it was or wasnt.....

:badpc: :( :( :(

beetle

AlphabetSoup
22-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi,

Your post is a little ambiguous because you do not state whether the WORD file you are saving is on a home PC or on a networked pc at a school lab.

If it was a networked pc then a number of reasons can cause the regular "failure to save a WORD file" symptons you described.

You may be attempting to save to the Desktop, but there are too many other files all ready there. Therefore, save to the H drive or other drive assigned to you by the School Administrator.
There may be too many people logged on and attempting to save WORD files to the same server as you. Be patient and wait your turn — also have chat to Adminstrator because this is not really a great situation given current technology.
You may not have correct permissions set up to save to a LAN drive (usually allocated a drive letter above the CD-ROM/DVD-Rom drive). TO test this theory, attempt to sabe the WORD file to the C drive, and if successful, then ask the Adminstrator to set the permissions correctly for the LAN drive you are wishing to save your WORD file to.

If you are using a Home PC and having these troubles then there are a couple of online articles describing this problem and recommended solutions by Microsoft. These may not be relevant to your version of Microsoft Word but hopefully will give you an indication of how to recover your allegedly lost file(s).

The articles can be read here:

How to recover a lost file in Microsoft Word 2000 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316950)

How to recover a lost file in Microsoft Word 2002 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316951)

Also, you may be simply suffering a classic case of an overloaded hard drive. That is, you may not have enough disk space free for WORD to save the file without corrupting the file or causing a system fault. In this situtation WORD is programmed to automatically delete the WORD document being saved to prevent this error. If that is the case then the alleged saved WORD file is lost for ever. Service Release 1 for Word 2000 repaired this glitch, but you could always just clear off the hard drive any unnessary files to release space.

Regards,

Timothy

zqwerty
22-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Beetle,

Do this:

Start/Search/Files or Folders, type in "*.doc" without speech marks /search now

that will find all Word doc files on your computer. You may have to specify which hard drive/partition to search to narrow the search.

beetle
22-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Im sorry i didnt give enough details, but i am also lost by what you have said.

It seems i have a constant problem this happens to me regularly and no matter how safe and saved i think i am.....something happens and my paranoidness doesnt help, and help me to get this work back.

I am on home puter, only used about 20% of it, maybe nearly what 8 months old? and Word 2003. set on save every minute.... and do maual saves regurlarly.

and im resolved to haveing to type up some more work.

thank you for your help and i will do some more reading and see how i go from there.

and the PF1 crew dread poor beetle posting regurlarly for help for lost assignments....and i really do try to save them all the time honest....

:(
beetle

beetle
22-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanxs Zgwerty, :thumbs:

found everything, but not the last 2 pages on that assignment....

I am such a slacker......always manage to stuff it up.

thanxs all

going back to the cave now, hibernate in misery................ :(

beetle

TonyF
22-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Great sigh of relief goes around PF1 ....

beetle
22-05-2005, 11:00 PM
lol

for what?????????

that i found docs i already had bar the 2 pages i want..... :( :(

Doesnt help me any more than it did before....

i am no further ahead so instead of 2 pages to type i now have 4 to catch up with..... :(

:badpc:

Jen
22-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Hi Beetle

Are you always saving the document in the same folder? It so, then it should be the latest one you worked on.

Rather than rely on Word automatically saving for you, I would use the quick key of CTRL-S every paragraph or so to make sure the document is saved. This way if anything happens you only lose the last paragraph or so.

beetle
22-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Yes i save, i hit save lots, but wonder sometimes if it is actually saving or not, and every time i lose something.....your words ring in my ears,.....save beetle, onto CD, save, ghost or whatever regularly.

and back up and all that stuff. i had faith in the comp that i had saved it, but word was open and i wasnt there and little fella pulled the plug from the wall, so all power lost.... came back and pc wasnt going...at this stage i thought it odd, as i didnt remember turning off....

so is my own fault as usual.... i have always with out fail had problems of this sort, changing comps and word programs has made no difference. so i am convinced its a beetle problem...as how i save may not be effective....and i lose it .

beetle :dogeye:

Scouse
22-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi Beetle.
Once you have got your breath back and re-done the missing pages..... and you're not the first to loase pages believe me.... follow this simple rule with your term projects.
If you have a 3 1/2 floppy drive.
Get a blank floppy and insert it in the drive.
Every time you finish with your project, such as beetle.doc, and close the document,
Click on file > open to see the list of files again.
Right click on your beetle.doc
Slide down to Send To and left click on Floppy 3 1/2 drive.

A quick and dirty backup of your single most important file.
Right click on its name, down to Send To and then left click on Floppy.
I know this won't recover your missing detail, but it will save you ever losing that special file again. If you haven't got a floppy, get one of the modern
USB flash drives. The smallest, cheapest one will do the job.

gibler
22-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Personally I turn off the "fast saves" feature of Word and save important documents with a different name each time e.g. Project Important A.doc then Project Important B.doc

Save in a couple of different places too.

Also make sure you update your version of Office with the latest patches etc.

Possibly you have other problems hardware/software wise and the Word problem is just a symptom.

You could also just make your drafts in a good old fashioned text editor such as notepad and then copy into word, so at least you don't have to re-type. Then you could just start using Openoffice...

I've seen too many disasters with Word ....

Scouse
23-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Hi beetle. Agree with gibler about working on another document to avoid crapping on your journal. Each week you can open a new document in Word and prepare the new installment. When you are happy with it, name it as, say, Sunday22nd, and close it. Open your journal and at the end click on Insert > File and select your new installment.
As the journal got bigger, and more valuable, I would open it and then save it as immediately... say I would save beetle.doc as beetle2.doc. This will close the original beetle.doc and leave you playing with the new copy. Add the new segment to beetle2.doc and print from that. Only when you are happy with all, save the new document, using save as, as beetle.doc and it will overwrite the original, bringing it up to date. Simple process once you have run through it a few times. :rolleyes:

godfather
23-05-2005, 12:19 AM
beetle.

Word's Autosave does not work like that.
It is NOT really an Autosave at all, in that respect. Please do not rely on it.
Use a USB flash drive in preference to a floppy disk for daily backups.

MS say:

When you have AutoRecovery enabled, Word saves an “AutoRecovery save of <Filename>.asd” file at the interval you specify.

These files are saved in the folder specified for AutoRecover files on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options.

If something untoward happens while you are working in Word—Word “has encountered a problem and needs to close” (hangs), the system crashes, or the power blinks—the next time you start Word you will be presented with the AutoRecovery files (if any) that had been saved at the time of the event.

If the timestamp on one of these is later than your last manual save, you have the option of saving it as your document.

There is no substitute for manually saving the document.

It may be available, under an 'asd' extention, see above as to where (as specified under Tools-Options - File location). Or not.

beetle
23-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Um i have said i dont rely on it totally.. i always use, manual save as well.... hitting save often as well.....

ok its done, i lost it.... its trashed and its not coming back i get the picture and we say the same things every time, and i say i dont rely on it i just set it at save 1min...

can we leave it now..... i feel bad enough as it is ok.....

Mercury
23-05-2005, 12:38 AM
The Word auto save only saves to a temporary file. This is for emergency recovery in case the computer crashes or the power goes off.

When you restart the computer you open Word it should say "Do you want to recover the document that was open when I crashed" (or something similar).

If you say "Yes please" it will open the temporary file and display work to the last save before the crash.

If you say "No thank you very much" it will do what it normally does - delete the temporary file. If you then open the doc file on disk it will be to the last point at which you physically saved it.

So... autosave is for emergency recovery only, manual save is for saving your work to disk.

Billy T
23-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Um i have said i dont rely on it totally.. i always use, manual save as well.... hitting save often as well.....

ok its done, i lost it.... its trashed and its not coming back i get the picture and we say the same things every time, and i say i dont rely on it i just set it at save 1min...

can we leave it now..... i feel bad enough as it is ok.....

Don't give up that easy beetle. You have been though this before if I recollect correctly and the only thing that lies between you and your missing pages is knowing how to search.

Using the Windows Search function, enter a word that is reasonably unique to that document and *.* as the document name. Search the whole of your computer and you should locate it, wherever it is saved.

There is also the option of finding *.wbk files (Word Backup) and there is a thread on that subject Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=38614&highlight=%2A.wbk) that might help. The links in that thread are now dead (new forum glitch??) but you can find all of them by doing an Advanced Forum Search using just *.wbk as the key word search term, and leaving the user name blank.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)