PDA

View Full Version : Media Player closes disc in mid-session

Brian
22-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi guys and gals!:D

I have a frustrating problem....it has cost me several discs so far and I don't know if it is a software or hardware issue. Here is the problem:

I am trying to burn MP3's onto a CD-R using Windows Media Player (WMP) (ver 10.00.00.3646), everything goes smoothly...the files get converted and then the burning session starts, WMP burns several tracks...and then all of a sudden in the midst of the burn session WMP decides to close the disc! :mad:

What is the solution to this problem? Should I try another Media Player (e.g Real Player), or is it a problem with my CD-Burner? :@@:

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Thanx,
Brian

Growly
22-05-2005, 02:53 PM
I too have experienced this problem, on a neighbour's PC. I put it down to the drive - because in his case it wouldn't run HP RecordNow either. Do you have any other software you can try? There should be some basic free ones around...

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Use Nero or this http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ which is free.

Brian
22-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi guys and gals!

Thank you all for your replies. Here is the current situation...I may have to live with it:

I downloaded the program that Speedy Gonzalez recommended in his/her post and it burned no problem. To check if it was a successful burn I played several tracks at random spots and they played perfectly in my CD-RW Drive. When I went to play them on my stereo (which in previous burns had no problem playing the tracks) it played the first couple of tracks before it spazzed out.

Any ideas?

Thanx again for any advice!

Brian

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Umm which program? Nero or the other one??

If the other one, I dont use that, so dont know what it has in it.

I use Nero. Did you burn to the cdrw?? If so, the cd player, you're trying to play it in may not fully support CDRW. Burn the MP3's to a CDR...

And you didnt format the cd before u burned the MP3's to it did u?? Because you dont format a cd to make an Audio cd from MP3's.

Are you burning the MP3's as an Audio cd, or burning the MP3's as an MP3 cd, which not all external cd players can play.

I'm a he by the way :)

Brian
23-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi Speedy!

I didn't use Nero, I used the other one.

I burnt them onto CD-R and even though it was an MP3 file, it was burnt on to disc as CDA format. I didn't format the disc I just go ahead and burn them...as an Audio CD. Like I said in my last post, the queer thing is that my stereo played the first 2 tracks and then went spazz after that...it's got me scratching my head! :dogeye:

Any ideas?

Thanx,
Brian

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Sounds like you did it right Brian. CDA is the format it burns as. If the program burned them ok, it cant be the program or the burner you're using,
thats the prob.

It maybe the cd you're playing them in or the brand of cd you're using to burn them to thats the prob.

Does it play ok in the pc cd tho?? Does it play more than 2 tracks of the cd??

Brian
23-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi Speedy!

I tried it in the PC's CD and tried several tracks that I randomly selected and they played okay...I haven't tried since I tried it in the stereo tho'...I'll try it again in the PC's CD and see if it plays again...keep ya posted!

C ya!

Brian :thumbs:

ProMaz
24-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Well, do you know the CD Bruner you are using? Also, try to sick with Imation CDR's, personally I think they give the best results and reliability. Also, try burning the CD a a slower speed, 12x or 24x are fine, doesn't take that long to burn as long as your no in a hurry. Check your CD player (the one that "spazzes" out) to see that is DOES support CDR (home made) cd's. Also, try disabling CD TEXT which could cause some problems but shouldn't... Can't think of anything else but yea, post the CD buner you are using (Brand and model) and the media you are using (the brand on the CDR) and the speed at which your burning. Might be able to help from there :cool:

Renmoo
24-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Back to the main topic, have you try re-installing WMP10? Or perhaps set a lower writing / rewriting speed?

Cheers :)

plod
24-05-2005, 08:52 AM
you could give itunes (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/) ago, its free

Brian
24-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Hi everybody!

I know that when I first did an initial burn...yeah, I have gone through several discs :( (TDK Brand...used them in the past and haven't had problems with them)...MP10 recommended a slower burn speed...I went from "Fastest" to "48X".

Here's some info for "ProMaz" the CD Burner is listed as ASUS CRW-4832AS.

I'll try burning at a slower speed and keep you guys posted...

Thanx for your continuing help! :D

Brian

Brian
25-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Hi guys!

I know you are all eager for an update to my situation ...I yet again burned another disc, howbeit at a slower speed and, behold, I threw it into my stereo and it played pretty much perfectly (except for a couple of tracks that were screwed up...I theorise that this may be recitified by burning at a yet slower speed.)

Not being too much of a techie, I was wondering if one of you guys could tell me why burning the disc at a slower speed has recitified the situation! :@@:

Thanx,
Brian

internetcleaningtool
26-05-2005, 03:58 PM
try writing at 16x speed

and also if you can get the drive bios updated ( be carefull)

[Edit: URL removed]

[Edit: No need to spam the board with a URL to your products website at the same time. Please take the time to read the rules you agreed to when registering on this board - Jen (Moderator)]

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2005, 04:06 PM
And try updating the firmware for the burner.

It does make a diff sometimes.

ProMaz
26-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Brian - Think of burning a CD like making a beautiful dinner. The faster to make it and try to hurry it up, the more messy it is going to be right?

CD's can at times have real problems burning at the high speeds (my AOpen drive goes up to 52X but I have never ever tried that fast, I don't think its possible). The reason for this is that CD's are sujected to incredable forces when running at that speed. Look up on google "exploding CD's) and there have been many documented cases of CD shattering inside a drive (and completely ruining the drive) due to the forces put on a spining CD. You may ask why I know about it? Becuase It happened to me. Cheap medic (black CD's) are be a huge problem. The cheaper they are, the more likely there will be imperfections in the CD which will ruining the CD's spining path, thus causing the CD vibrate and then shatter. I would say burn CD's at 12x or 16x ... its not a very slow speed and should get the job done nicely. And think about it, is an extra 2 ~ 4 minutes REALLY going to kill you when burning a CD? Just go and have a ciggie or a cup of coffee while you wait.

Hope this helps ya there :p

Brian
02-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Hi everybody!

Sorry it has taken a while to post this reply....been soooooooo busy!! But here is the last and final update.

I've taken all your advice on board and burned a disk at 16x and even 8x and both have come out perfect...I threw them into my stereo and they performed flawlessly!

Thank you all for your help and advice...I've learnt something new! :D

Take care! :)

Brian