PDA

View Full Version : IBM 560Z USB

dahawthorne
22-05-2005, 12:37 AM
People,
I'm new to your forum, but I've looked for help on this all over and you seem to be the ones with the knowledge...

I have an IBM 560Z which has a USB port, but I can't make it work.
Win 98 SE, latest available BIOS v29.
I've removed all USB support via safe mode & normal mode, and W98 offers to set up the hardware again. It installs an Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller and a USB Root Hub, but then goes on to (presumably) the pen drive where it offers to look for the drivers. I have a folder with all the USB drivers I can find on the net, but it can't find a suitable one and I have the yellow question mark under Other Devices - USB Drive.
Start up with USB pen drive inserted, it stops at the Win98 logo screen.
Plug in the pen after startup, the hourglass shows - it doesn't freeze, because the cursor moves, but it does nothing else. Removing the pen provokes a BSOD.
Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.
I've seen comments that the 560Z doesn't support USB, but why then does it have the port?
Thanks for any advice,
David.

gibler
22-05-2005, 01:05 AM
For windows 98 you need drivers for the pen drive as well.

The manufacturer of your pen drive will (should!) have win98 drivers - they can be specific to the model of pen drive. Generally a CD will accompany the pen drive that have the drivers.

It can be a real pain trying to identify the model of a pen drive just by looking at it.

dahawthorne
22-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Gibler,
Thanks for replying so quickly.
My pen drive is a Crucial Gizmo USB2 - should be compatible with USB 1.1 - works ok on other PCs.
The Crucial website does indeed offer W98SE drivers - LEXARPD.PDR, LEXARUSB.SYS, samsung.inf. As before I copied these to the laptop via a floppy, refreshed the hardware display, pointed the 'update driver' to the folder and it still didn't find a suitable driver.
I don't think the port itself is bad - after all, the laptop recognises that *some* sort of USB device has been plugged in. I've also tried my Mitsumi floppy USB and that is correctly identified, so there's definitely a connection there - but as with the pen drive, the laptop can't find a floppy driver for the Mitsumi either.
I'm baffled, but I don't like giving up on these things, you know?
Thanks again for your advice - much appreciated.
David.

gibler
22-05-2005, 02:09 AM
some comments by a user (http://www.thetechlounge.com/review_comments.php?directory=crucial_gizmo) . Maybe you have the third revision that doesn't have win98 drivers for it?

Hmm if you didn't get a CD with the 98 drivers this would make sense ;)

Hmm and from the website:

What operating systems does the Gizmo! drive support?

The Gizmo! drive can be used with Win ME/2000/XP, Mac OS 8.6, 9.1, 9.2 and above.

dahawthorne
22-05-2005, 02:59 AM
Mmm... interesting - thanks. That might explain why the Gizmo doesn't work, but what about the Mitsumi floppy? Aren't floppy drives just about as bog-standard hardware as you can get?
David.

dahawthorne
22-05-2005, 03:18 AM
But having said that, a visit to the Mitsumi website provided drivers which the laptop recognised and installed, and I now have a floppy A: and a floppy D:. Unfortunately the D: just spins and does nothing - it doesn't show the diskette contents in Explorer. Still, it's a *bit* of progress...
David.