PDA

View Full Version : Advanced XP pro SP2 services tweaking

jamesyboi
21-05-2005, 08:39 PM
is it ok to disable USB Root Hub's, floppy drive controller, com 1&2 and Via Raid Controller?

I dont use any USB ports in the back that i know of. I use my intergrated network for jetstream. Printer sometimes is in LPT1 so i dont wana disable that.

I just heard that it free's system resources if i disable them. i have 512mb ram and play games so i duno if its really gona do anything. also should i disable automatic updates, security centre and fast user switchin from services? and how about indexing service? thanks. james

jamesyboi
21-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Remote Registry access = disable?
And what the heck is smartcards lol.

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Disable them in the BIOS USB, RAID, the com ports settings should be here.

Smartcards are like eftpos / using id cards..

You swipe a card and it identifies you..

Yer Indexing service doesnt do much. Unless u want to go to Windowsupdates yourself, I dont see anything wrong with disabling auto updates.

And yer cant see why u cant disable security centre. That doesnt tell u much besides telling u if a firewall / AV is up to date.

Edward
21-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Unless u want to go to Windowsupdates yourself, I dont see anything wrong with disabling auto updates.

Negative. If that service is disables, then windowsupdate.ms.com won't work either

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2005, 09:17 PM
oh well 9/10 aint bad :D

gibler
21-05-2005, 11:04 PM
full tweak guide at tweakguides.com (http://www.tweakguides.com/XPTC.html)

there are quite a few unnecessary services turned on by default with XP. Most of the unneeded ones are related to communication between Windows machines . Bit of a mystery why Microsoft likes have loads of services waiting for remote connections...