PDA

View Full Version : How can I get email from USA ISP using Xtra?

Neptune417
20-05-2005, 12:29 PM
I have had screen failure on an ancient Win 98 laptop so cannot access the settings. Using OE 6.0 used to be able to download email from a USA ISP using my Xtra account. USA ISP has no unusual settings - POP3, SMTP, etc. Used to be that Xtra would log on to email, check the NZ email, then ask "you have a connection extablished to Xtra - do you want to dial your ecentral ISP, or use this present connection?" I would say "use current connection" and all would be fine.

I now have Windows XP Home Edition and cannotremember how to set up this dual ISP connection. I still have the same OE 6.0. I tried asking Xtra but got some low-level trainee who said "it cannot be done" when up until having to change computers it worked just fine.

Sure, I can acess email via the web, but it used to be so simple...

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

johnboy
20-05-2005, 03:04 PM
There is some info here if you have'nt already seen it.
http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-2408253,00.html
hth

kumaraguy
20-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Hi
Wouldnt you simply add the details of the US mail server in your mail program
ie. Outlook

Graham L
20-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Can you connect a standard VGA monitor to the old laptop?

Neptune417
21-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks to you all. The Xtra page suggested by John i informative, but has to do with accessing Xtra mail overseas where I need the reverse. I'll check my Denver ISP and see what they might say. I did email them but got ignored...

Yes, I can use another monitor to access the hard disc, but have to figure out whether I can do this to a TV screen, need to buy some other cable, etc. Maybe I'll just have to do this, but there were times when some messages seemed to go astray. Puzzling, eh?

Yes, I tried just changing the Xtra ISP setting to reflect my incoming email from Denver, but this doesn't work.

I suspect teh answer lies in a roaming sort of service from the Denver ISP simlar to that Xtra has. For those interested please see John's link - it is quite good.

Thanks to you all.

Neptune