PDA

View Full Version : Netscape launches version 8.0

Strommer
20-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Netscape released the final version of Netscape 8, a browser that includes features to protect Web surfers against online scams.Early test versions of the new browser--so-called alpha and beta releases--have been available since February. Netscape has made mostly cosmetic changes in the final version, said Jeremy Liew, general manager of Netscape, a division of Time Warner's America Online subsidiary.Almost a million people participated in the public beta, which started in March...read more here on CNET (http://news.com.com/Netscape+update+takes+aim+at+phishing/2100-1032_3-5712798.html)

NEW YORK, May 19 (newratings.com) America Online, a unit of Time Warner (TWX.NYS), Thursday launched the final version of its Netscape 8.0 browser. The company had released the beta version of the browser in March. Netscape 8.0 is a hybrid browser based on the Firefox 1.0.3 open-source platform, which can automatically switch between rendering machines being used by Internet Explorer and Firefox. Netscape has the ability to render more sites than Firefox. Andrew Weinstein, a spokesman for America Online/Netscape, told Reuters on Thursday that Netscape 8.0 possesses a combination of Internet Explorer's usability and Firefox's security features. Netscape also incorporates built-in anti-phishing safeguards, with the browser adjusting its security settings automatically.

Metalive
20-05-2005, 07:58 AM
I think I'll stick with my Firefox.

*Makes love to his sexy browser*

Dannz
20-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Im going to stay with Firefox

Strommer
20-05-2005, 08:20 AM
I too am a happy Firefox user.

But if you want to download the new Netscape,here it is. (http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/)

FrankS
23-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Tried to update from v7.1 to 8 yesterday, took 40 mins to download and after minimum installation got one "Netscape is not responding" after another. Eventually uninstalled and decided to stick with v7.1. and wait for v8.1 Suspect some of the new all dancing, all singing, features are not happy with the programmes installed. Running WinXP Home with SP2, MailWasher Pro, Norton AV 2004, Spyware Blaster all to latest updates.

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2005, 03:31 PM
And V8 has flaws in it as well.

sambaird
23-05-2005, 04:35 PM
44 security holes in the first 24 hours after relese to be exact

Chilling_Silence
23-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Hehe, and FrSRT has sent me s'ploits for half them too :D

hotkiwi
23-05-2005, 05:11 PM
And I'll stick with Opera................

Johan

---------------------------------------------------------
If you come to a fork in the road; take it.
---------------------------------------------------------