PDA

View Full Version : Stars, Moon and Jupiter.....

beetle
19-05-2005, 10:57 PM
:D

Well the kidlets school had a trip tonight to the local observatory.

Clear as sky and a bright as moon, after the cloudy day and rain yesterday...

It was cool.

we got to see the 4 moons of Jupiter and jupiter itself....from the big 150 yr old telescope..... stand on the ladder thing...:D

and there was also 2 small mobile ones set up outside, under the sun umbrellas....to shade from the moon.

and we got to see the big cheese............. amazingly close and the detail of craters and mountains was mindboggling...

and then we got to see the cluster of 1milion stars on the left hand side of southern cross star...multiple colours.......

also found out that our local observatory on Fridays when fine weather has public open nights $5.00 per family or $2.00 per person....well worth the journey i think ...

last time i went (before children) we got to see the tail of a comet.....

this was really interesting and i would recomend you guys, especially with families to check out your local observatorys and see if you can do a visit sometime..

beetle

Strommer
19-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Good suggestion. Something we have been meaning to do but don't seem to get around to it. Hey Beetle, when you get tired of the telescopes, pokies and roulette wheels in WangVegas, come over to the Wairarapa and see our Stonehenge (http://www.astronomynz.org.nz/stonehenge/stonehenge.htm) !

beetle
19-05-2005, 11:24 PM
:eek: :eek:

Minimum weekday charge $200.00!!!!! wow....

man wont be going in a hurry for that price....cough cough....

:illogical

beetle

Trev
19-05-2005, 11:48 PM
http://www.stardome.org.nz/ Auckland Observatory
http://www.rasnz.org.nz/ Royal Astronomical Society Of New Zealand

Trevor:)

TonyF
19-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Maybe you could ask Steve to organise a group sometime so that your cost comes down to the smaller figs.
We intend to go one day, but in a bunch somehow...

stu161204
19-05-2005, 11:53 PM
http://www.stardome.org.nz/ Auckland Observatory

I went there when I was at scouts :), it was cool :cool: (to what I remember it was a damp night :( so we did not get to see much)

Metla
20-05-2005, 12:18 AM
:eek: :eek:

Minimum weekday charge $200.00!!!!! wow....

man wont be going in a hurry for that price....cough cough....

:illogical

beetle

Cost

Adults $10.00
Children $5.00
*May* not be suitable for little children.

Strommer
20-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Cost

Adults $10.00
Children $5.00
*May* not be suitable for little children.

Yep, thats it.
Weekdays are for groups, thus the higher charge.
I think the costs Metla gives are for the public days, weekends I suppose.

I have been there, but it was closed on that particular weekend, for some strange reason. My wife was there with her primary kiddies, and everyone was suitably impressed.

Sam I Am
20-05-2005, 08:58 AM
I have been there, but it was closed on that particular weekend, for some strange reason.

Perhaps they were winding it up?

beetle
20-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Thats right take all the fun out of it.....

:dogeye:

huh.

beetle

Winston001
20-05-2005, 02:46 PM

and then we got to see the cluster of 1milion stars on the left hand side of southern cross star...multiple colours.......
beetle

This is the Southern Jewelbox Cluster, also known as NGC 2516. It is located in the Crux constellation, better known to us as the Southern Cross. This cluster is magnificent.

Glad you saw Jupiter too. That must be quite a large telescope for the detail you saw. Great fun.

beetle
20-05-2005, 03:29 PM
yeah Jupiter had stripes..... and you could see 4 spot of moons, 3 on one side and one on the other...

Ward Observatory

Built in 1901 the Ward Observatory houses a 24cm telescope, the largest unmodified refractor telescope still in use in New Zealand . Located in Cooks Gardens , access to the Observatory is from St Hill Street . Public viewing Friday evenings from 8:00pm (winter) or 8:30pm (summer) or by arrangement with the Astronomical Society.

i cant find a picture....:p

LOL

beetle