PDA

View Full Version : error 720

drcspy
19-05-2005, 09:44 PM
dont know if many of you others have noticed out there in tech land but I've been seeing a few more than usual of a certain error 'error 720' dial up problem ....where the modem wont connect etc.......anyway.....was wondering if it's just me or if it's more widespread......i'm starting to suspect microsofts updates again ?. Oh yep if you have run across this what was your fix ?

tweak'e
19-05-2005, 10:04 PM
every time i've had these errors or similar ones, it has always been an ISP or telecom problem.

Prescott
19-05-2005, 10:05 PM
no problems in dialling up here, im with xtra

AlphabetSoup
19-05-2005, 10:05 PM
The 720 error in regards to Dialup is usually caused when the Dialup Networking Protocols have become corrupt, are missing altogether, or the information supplied when setting them up is inaccurate.

Generally a reboot of the PC resolves the error, but if not then you will need to check your Dialup Network settings. It's possible the settings there will be perfectly fine if that is the case then check also the Network Configuration via your control panel:

From the Control Panel open the Network icon

Check to make sure these items are present and that the information filled in withing their properties is accurate.

Client for Microsoft Network (or Microsoft Family Logon)
Dialup Adapter
TCP/IP or TCP/IP -> Dialup Adapter

Some of these may not be present but you can add them easily enough.

Regards,

Timothy

Prescott
19-05-2005, 10:11 PM
maybe a winsock (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html)fix may help then

Safari
19-05-2005, 10:36 PM
The 720 error in regards to Dialup is usually caused when the Dialup Networking Protocols have become corrupt, are missing altogether, or the information supplied when setting them up is inaccurate.

Generally a reboot of the PC resolves the error, but if not then you will need to check your Dialup Network settings. It's possible the settings there will be perfectly fine if that is the case then check also the Network Configuration via your control panel:

From the Control Panel open the Network icon

Check to make sure these items are present and that the information filled in withing their properties is accurate.

Client for Microsoft Network (or Microsoft Family Logon)
Dialup Adapter
TCP/IP or TCP/IP -> Dialup Adapter

Some of these may not be present but you can add them easily enough.

Regards,

Timothy

That information is for W98 and ME - you won't find all of those in XP
If using W98 also check Server Types in the dialup connection.

Error 720 is No PPP control protocols configured.
I would remove the dialup connection and create a new one as this can fix a lot of problems.

With Windows XP, you cannot re-install TCP/IP, but you can reset it with the following DOS command:

Click Start, then Run..., and put the following in the Open text box
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Enter and restart computer.

Cicero
19-05-2005, 11:01 PM
That information is for W98 and ME - you won't find all of those in XP
If using W98 also check Server Types in the dialup connection.

Error 720 is No PPP control protocols configured.
I would remove the dialup connection and create a new one as this can fix a lot of problems.

With Windows XP, you cannot re-install TCP/IP, but you can reset it with the following DOS command:

Click Start, then Run..., and put the following in the Open text box
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Enter and restart computer.
You simply have to be related to JimB