PDA

View Full Version : Do cellphones need to be rebooted?

Strommer
18-05-2005, 09:38 PM
A friend rang Vodafone today and complained that some of the text messages that he sent took up to 6 hours to get across town, and some voice messages took hours to receive. He was told by Vodafone that it was the fault of his cellphone - that he needed to reboot it by taking the battery out for 2 or 3 minutes.

Is this true?

plod
18-05-2005, 09:56 PM
only if it is running windows!, but seriously vodafone had an overload over the weekend, probably due to the free txt's

tweak'e
18-05-2005, 10:02 PM
LMAO ! ! !

Strommer
18-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Love the replies, folks! Keep em coming, as my friend plans to ring Vodafone back and wants to tell them to %&$#$+X#&*^@

george12
18-05-2005, 10:32 PM
My friends phone sometimes crases and needs to be rebooted...

ninja
18-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Mine crashed three times last night.

No one I know and no one I was texting over the weekend had any problems. Sounds like your guy is an anomaly.

Strommer
18-05-2005, 10:56 PM
FWIY - He has a simple no frills phone, without games, colour screen, etc.

sambaird
18-05-2005, 11:19 PM
My friends phone sometimes crases and needs to be rebooted...
Mine does to its realy anoying

george12
18-05-2005, 11:26 PM
My friends calculator crashes... Our old DVD player used to, but that was coz it was overheating because of inadequite ventilation. Once our VCR crashed, and the Sky Decoder did all the time when we had Sky.

The only thing that never seems to crash is the PC... lol

Oh and my heater. It doesn't crash.

mark c
19-05-2005, 09:42 AM
My toaster has never crashed.

But seriously. Do cellphones need to be rebooted? Some say yes, some say twaddle?
So?

KiwiTT_NZ
19-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Yes. As cellphones become 'smart'phones, with a full OS, Symbian, Palm or Windows, you will need to reboot these on a regular basis.

I have now 2 cellphones,

One I use for calls (No reboots required)
One I use for Texting, Internet Browsing, MP3 playing, Video Camera, Still Camera, Diary, Address Book, Tasks, Games, Instant Messaging, Spreadsheets, Word Processing, Calculator, Modem, Network VPN Client, Terminal Services Client, and if I must calls via a bluetooth headset while in the car. (reboots once or twice a month)

mark c
19-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Wow pretty flash phone KiwiTT_NZ.
So the much abused joker at Vodafone was right. I thought they would need rebooting as they accumulate stuff, and need a good 'flushing out' like a dose of salts for a human. :xmouth:

KiwiTT_NZ
19-05-2005, 12:49 PM
My second one is more a PDA then a phone.

mark c
19-05-2005, 01:14 PM
So I guess what is happening / has happened is that really the distinction between a phone and a PDA / portable microcxomputer is getting blurred.

Miami Steve
19-05-2005, 01:18 PM
My toaster has never crashed.

But seriously. Do cellphones need to be rebooted? Some say yes, some say twaddle?
So?
There is a phenomenon known as Sleeping Phone Syndrome (http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:P9vKXiYTQ2AJ:www.gamers.net.nz/showpost.php%3Fp%3D339576%26postcount%3D70+%22slee ping+phone+syndrome%22&hl=en) which afflicts some models. With this, the phone appears to be fine, but is actually not connected to the network. I have a T68i and when the display shows "Vodafone" as the supplier instead of "Vodafone NZ" and the cell site info disappears, I know that it has gone to "sleep", and needs rebooted. Generally this only happens once or twice a month, but if you don't use the phone a lot (I don't) you can go for several days and not realise that you are no longer connected to the network.

AFAIK, this phenomenon is a phone manufacturers problem (software) rather than a Vodafone network problem, but who knows? My old Nokia 6210 suffered from the same problem, though not so frequently.

mark c
19-05-2005, 01:31 PM
All very interesting. Only ever owned one cellphone which is now left for dead out in the shed coz I neither need nor want it.

Going to ask people how often they reboot thier cellphone.

PS. When I said that about my toaster remembered friends' flash programmable toaster crashed and died. LOL Appliances. drive you nuts.

Graham L
19-05-2005, 05:33 PM
The cure is simple. Remove the battery. Leave it out. No further problems.

Jams
19-05-2005, 11:11 PM
eee gad, i hate the Symbian OS, stupid boring pile of crap.

my oven and hot water cylinder keep crashing....stupid pile of crap.

FoxyMX
20-05-2005, 01:09 PM
My cellphone gets re-booted over the fence when it refuses to send my messages. :mad: