PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Modem Router for Cable Modem

prags_g
18-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Hello there,

We are at the moment using Telecom Jetstream which goes into a ADSL Modem Router cum 4 port hub which then connects on to two computers over the LAN. The wan port is a RJ11 Port and the LAN ports are RJ45 Ports

Now we are changing over to Telstra Cable. The cable that comes out of the Modem is RJ45. The new ISP has a static IP address and I have been provided with username, password, static IP, DNS servers.

The ADSL Router is Planet ADE4100.

My question is can I configure the Cable ISP into the existing Router? Do I still need to plug the Cable into the WAN Port? If yes, I will have to buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adaptor, which is available, but will it work? Can I plug the cable into one of the LAN Ports and share the Internet over the network? If yes, what settings are required? Help here would be much appreciated. Thanks

robsonde
18-05-2005, 08:07 PM
no.

the router you have is ADSL only and saturn will give you a cable modem which is quite diffrent.
you can still use the ADSL router as a network hub if you want.

Murray P
18-05-2005, 09:45 PM
no.

the router you have is ADSL only and saturn will give you a cable modem which is quite diffrent.
you can still use the ADSL router as a network hub if you want.

Can you? I thought that the routing was different, different type of signal/data to interpret. That you needed to get a seprate router (or build one) or get a cable modem with a build router, which Telstra won't let you do, it's their's or nothing.

I'd be very interested to know how this works or do you mean to that you can use the hub/switch connected to the router purely as a hub/switch?

The reason I ask, is that I have a single port Dynalink ADSL router that I use in conjunction with a switch. If I could simply daisy chain this with a cable modem it'd be great, but as I said, I thought this was not an option.