PDA

View Full Version : Desktop full of .idx files

gradebdan
17-05-2005, 09:38 PM
My desktop is completely covered with .idx icons. About 120. I delete them and empty the recycle bin but they come back every time I restart my comp. I was using Nero just befor this happened but do not know if this is relevant. How can I delete them?

Overdrive_5000
17-05-2005, 09:46 PM
What OS are you using, try deleting them in safe mode and restart. Also you could try clearing out your cache and try scanning for spyware/adware etc.

gradebdan
17-05-2005, 09:51 PM
The OS is 98SE. I have run AVG, SPYBOT and SPYWARE BLASTER but no luck.Where is the CACHE located?

Overdrive_5000
17-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Basically that just means getting rid off any temporary files you can use the disk clean up utility (cant remember if 98SE has it ) or you can download a utility such as Pc cleaner to remove them

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2005, 09:55 PM
What version of Nero r u using?? But youre right. Looks like Nero Express creates these files.

Your prob sounds similar to this

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=11609&mpage=4&key=%EE%9A%A7

Cant say I've seen these files. I'm using 6.6.0.13 at the mo. Which just came out.

gradebdan
17-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Ran disc cleanup, Nothing to get rid of! Nero version is 6 OEM.

gradebdan
17-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Now found I have about 900 icons on the desktop. Went to pc cleaner site and d/l pcdocpro which when I ran said I had 347 problems. After fixing 5 of these it needed me to order online. so I left it.

mark c
17-05-2005, 11:12 PM
900 icons on the desktop. Whoopee. Post us a screenshot.

Have a look in the FAQs to find out how to do this and any probs post back here.
P.S. This is yr second post on this subject. Best to keep them all in the one place.

zqwerty
17-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Get this and use then check back:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Overdrive_5000
18-05-2005, 03:10 PM
The Pc cleaner I was talking about is free and can be found here (http://bernatbozzo.tripod.com/download.html)

gradebdan
19-05-2005, 06:52 PM
My problem seems to have originated from Nero. I looked in Windows Explorer --Desktop. which showed me all the .idx files on one page. (DESKTOP CAN ONLY SHOW ABOUT 30 AT A TIME) Then by selecting blocks I was able to delete them all fairly quickly, Do not know what will happen next time I use Nero.
Have since d/l pccleaner which seems quite good

FoxyMX
19-05-2005, 08:35 PM
The .idx files are indexing files from your Nero program. Why they have turned up on your desktop I have no idea, nor do I know how to prevent it happening again. Something has gone wonky in your install setup or options but as I don't use the program I am unable to say what. Maybe you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the program.

AlphabetSoup
19-05-2005, 10:22 PM
The symptons you are referring to suggest that you probably have an infection on your PC called Spyware.DesktopD

To check whether you do you could do the following:

Click Start
Select Run and type REGEDIT then click OK
Navigate to the following keys in the left pane of Registry Editor window by clicking the + signs to expand the tree:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
Look inside the right pane now for this value:
"DD2SERVICE" = "%ProgramFiles%\Desktop Detective 2000 Home Edition\DDClient.exe /autostart"

Also look for this value in right pane:

"DD2KPECLIENT" = "%ProgramFiles%\Desktop Detective 2000 Home Edition\DDClient.exe /autostart"

If either of these values are present you are infected

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ITEECOM\DD2000

If this is subkey present you are infected

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ITEECOM\DD2KPE

If this subkey is present you are infected

If you are infected then a full anti-virus scan will be needed to remove the spyware. You can safely delete the values listed above if present.

Regards,

Timothy

gradebdan
24-05-2005, 06:15 PM
I went through all of the above but could not find any.
I guess I shall wait till I next use Nero and see what happens. Thanks for all your help.

mark c
24-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Ever had anything to do with TraderGames? A financial markets game. "IDX Icons" are involved in that.

At least that's what Google turns up here. (http://www.tradergames.com/FAQ.aspx#q873)

HT is of some H.......m

gradebdan
25-05-2005, 10:18 PM
I had never heard of Tradergames until you mentioned it.

mark c
25-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Oh. Major Duh. Just an idea. So how are you getting on with these Nero files then?

Metla
31-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Just been stepping Mrs Metla through extracting songs for the night of binge drinking we have penciled in to mark the beginning of her 3rd decade on the planet.(hopefully the reference to binge drinking doesn't offend any immigrants who are shocked by our culture and who want to see campains run to shape sociaty as they see fit)

Anyhow,cdex bluescreened the pos (its a Dell I took in as a fixer-upper,running 98) so decided to use the installed Nero, after choosing the extraction applet through the so-poor-someone-should-be-beaten-and-fired interface Nero tells us it needs to create a database or our extracted CD's would "disapear" (what sort of crap is this?, they must have decided a database was needed to rip mp3's at the same crack smoking session as when they designed smart-suite or what ever its called,damn cracker-head crackwhores)

Anyhow, It asked for a folder to be nominated for the database.

No worries and I pioint it at the My Music Folder,Then it asks for a folder to save the files to,no worries I say and point it at My Music.

Then it tries to save them as MP4 files,no worries I say and.....***?,mp4 my nakerd arse, damn cracker head crack smokers.

anyhow, Started the process and then clicked into the My Music fiolder,and Lo and behold, the database files(*.IDX), all 1300 freakin hundred of them.

Which reminded me of this thread.

Enjoy,and watch out for crack smoking programmers (they are everywhere)

SurferJoe46
31-07-2005, 03:43 AM
Just a note:

Check this site for a little info....
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=136943

...seems Nero sent these .idx's to the desktop (bad default setting?), and that's not where they should be..but as far as re-posting them on the desktop over and over...hmmmmmmm?

.......obviously others have had the same problem........I haven't, but then again I don't use NERO either!

SurferJoe46
31-07-2005, 04:00 AM
........and I found a little more on the .idx stuff too........

.idx is an extension used by several different types of files. Could it be that you have recently installed a new application that you are running from the desktop, rather than running it from it's own folder with a shortcut on the desktop? Again, it might just be a default setting that is messed up.

Possibilities include:
AOL Temporary Internet Mail File
ArcView Geocoding Index For Read-Only Datasets
Clip Gallery 1.x Index
Complete Works Index File
Corel QuickFinder Information
FAX File
FoxPro Index
ICQ Index
Database Index
LaTeX Index
NoX
Outlook Express Mailbox Index
Pro/ENGINEER Index File
Stork Format Header Information
Symantec Q&A Relational Database Index File
and perhaps others.

And since we know that .idx files are the indexing/database files that NERO creates when you burn to a CD and they can be safely deleted.
However, I note that you have already tried to delete with no luck.

Can you try to delete again this way:

Goto start>search>all files and folders. In the search pane type '*.idx' without the quotes and ok. When the search is complete goto edit>select all and hit delete on your keyboard. Do not empty the recycle bin.

See what that does for you.

I also have allowed CCleaner to have access to the recycle bin so I can empty it without invoking the recycle bin itself. Seems that makes a clean-out and purge a little cleaner. Maybe it just doesn't let NERO know that it's files are about to be deleted by using this backdoor.

Metla
31-07-2005, 09:18 AM
The reason the thread starter has them reapearing after a boot is because they only deleted the amount that could be displayed on the desktop,after a reboot it re-aranges all the files on the desktop,meaning another 100 or so of the more then one thousand files are displayed where the user can see them.(thay can be deleted easily)

The main part that makes it bollucks is that there is no reason in the world for Nero to be making a database just to rip a few mp3's.

Winston001
26-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I know this is an old thread but I've just discovered 2581 .IDX files on Yoda. Additionally I had just spent the previous half hour deleting more of them until it occured to me that the damned things were breeding. :horrified

So I found this thread. Yoda incidentally is the powerhouse mainframe Metla built for me and going extremely well. :thumbs: XP.

Anybody know anything more about the pesky things? Am going to try Joe's suggestion.

The thing is, I seldom use Nero. All of the .idx files appear to be music related.

maverickoc
26-11-2005, 08:18 PM
uninstall nero, delete the files then reinstall nero- and next time your ripping, tell nero to save the idx files to your temp folder