PDA

View Full Version : HAve you ever encountered....???

Ninjabear
16-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Most of you in here would know how to upgrade your system like adding rams .Inserting graphics card into your agp slot or even build your computer.

But for those who knows comp specs but just want to be safe and ask the shop to add rams and spice up your computer.

Have you heard or know any shop that steal computer parts from your computer???

Just that I would like to upgrade from 512 to 1gb but im a bit suspicious if I go to a random shop and ask them to add ram for me

Peterj116
16-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Chucking in a RAM stick is a 2-second job. Just stand there & watch 'em.
:thumbs:

Prescott
16-05-2005, 06:03 PM
you can do it yourself, its not hard, anyone can do it. i do recommend the anti static strap though :)

4bes
16-05-2005, 06:05 PM
I haven't heard of it happening, but I imagine it probably does. One thing you could do before you take it somewhere is print a report from a program like everest, then create another report when you get it back and see what has changed.

mejobloggs
16-05-2005, 07:59 PM
you can do it yourself, its not hard, anyone can do it. i do recommend the anti static strap though :)

What do i do with that antistatic strap once I have it? I'm actually serious, so don't go too hard on me. :rolleyes:

Prescott
16-05-2005, 08:04 PM
put it around your wrist, then connect the end to a piece of steel on the side of the case, and then put in the ram. hopefully ive explained that right :)

Renmoo
16-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Basically, what anti-static wrist strap does is ground any electrostatic electricity generated when your hands are moving around in the computer case. I don't think it is a necessary thing to connect the other end of the strap to a metal, Pres? Can I just stick it on a cement floor?

Cheers :)

Ninjabear
16-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Is it as simple as slotting a graphics card onto a pci slot?I've done that before.Its easy but a bit scared on adding ram!!

Metla
16-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Generally its easier then intalling a video card,provided you can access the ram slots without have to pull 90% of the comp apart.Make sure you line up the slot on the ram with the knog on the ram slot.

Use an anti-static wrist strap,ignore anything jameskan "thinks" about the process.

As to your worries, I had a comp brought to me, The owners had gotten it from their son to replace their main office comp,it had gone into one of the other techs in the area and they had been unhappy with its behaviour since then, I had a quick look at,weighed up the problems against cost and told them the system wasn't worth fixing.

They bought a new one and returned their sons computer, At which time he informed them he had never seen the computer before,and not a single item in it was the same as the one he gave them.....

Jen
16-05-2005, 11:39 PM
If you can add a PCI card, then you can add a RAM stick. :)

The only trick is making sure it is firmly seated in the slot. Note that the RAM will only go in one way (check the alignment of the slot holes). On each end of the slot you will see white clips. Push each clip fully down (open) and then as you push the RAM down evenly they will start to close up. Each end of the RAM stick has a small semi-circular notch which the RAM clip fits snugly into. When the RAM is fully seated, these clips should be firmly clipped into each semi-circular notch holding the stick into place.

mark c
16-05-2005, 11:58 PM
To go back to the original post but slightly different.

I know a tech guru who was contracted by a Private Training Est. to take parts out of old computers and put them in new boxes (system cases). He couldn't figure what was going on but it turned out if you passed the (IT) course they ran then you got to keep the 'new' computer. What a have!

When he realised what was going on he refused and threatened to dob them in but they went bung anyway.

There you go. Not crook comp shops but crook PTEs. :angry

Ninjabear
17-05-2005, 01:46 AM
How would I be able to know the ram i will be running?Im sure just by opening the case and looking incase it won't say something the type of ram its running rite?
IF I do buy ram is there anything I should look out for?

Do ram come with warranty?If the ram is faulty would it stuff up the computer big time?

Renmoo
17-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Download an analysis tool before going out and buy extra RAM to determine how many slots of memory slot is occupied and what are their speed and the compatibility:

Everest Home Edition (http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en)

Cheers :)