PDA

View Full Version : Computers dead or dying?

just-a-click-away
15-05-2005, 05:35 PM
I have an older system that I have changed the power supply before, the computer went down just shut itself off, I thought ok itís the power supply again Iíll change it; itís been in a few years with heavy use. Put a new power supply in and still nothing, lights come on but know ones home. Open the case up found that the CPU fan had fried. Took a fan from another system put it in, tried to boot up, all lights on, still nothing.
It has an Intel Pentium 111 in it. Can that be fried to?
And when looking for a new one is their a type that I should or should not get? Is this something thatís pretty easy to install?
I have another question to ask, I formatted a different computer and I donít recall if there is anything I need to do before installing new software in it. It was a complete format. (I think Iím getting to old for this stuff)
Thank you for your time,

CreightonBrown
15-05-2005, 05:59 PM
I have an older system that I have changed the power supply before, the computer went down just shut itself off, I thought ok itís the power supply again Iíll change it; itís been in a few years with heavy use. Put a new power supply in and still nothing, lights come on but know ones home. Open the case up found that the CPU fan had fried. Took a fan from another system put it in, tried to boot up, all lights on, still nothing.
It has an Intel Pentium 111 in it. Can that be fried to?
And when looking for a new one is their a type that I should or should not get? Is this something thatís pretty easy to install?
I have another question to ask, I formatted a different computer and I donít recall if there is anything I need to do before installing new software in it. It was a complete format. (I think Iím getting to old for this stuff)
Thank you for your time,

1 PC Won't boot. If you suspect the fan has died it may well be the CPU has overheated. It may be possible that replacing the CPU may help, it seems reasonably likely, however i would not guarantee it.

2. Installing an O/S:
I would suggest default config in the BIOS, may be delete, F1 or any other myriad of keys as its non standardised
If it installs from CD, you may want to make sure the Computer can be booted from CD and the CD is in the drive and it is enabled in the BIOS. Some older BIOS/s cannot boot from CD, quite old, or slightly more recent ones may only allow booting from a CD/DVD or similar driver on the MASTER IDE controller for the channel, although more recently it may be possible with both.

If your computer cannot boot from CD Drive, you may want to consider a boot disk [Disk=a name for disc inside housing e.g. 3.5" 1.44/1.38 disk typically, where without casing it may be more commonly disc e.g. CD Disc DVD DIsc]

What operating system do you plan installing?

just-a-click-away
15-05-2005, 06:38 PM
The fan had gone out,(I'm sure) I wasnt sure if that would cause the CPU unit not to work.
---
You lost me here ;-} (Installing an O/S:I would suggest default config in the BIOS, may be delete, F1 or any other myriad of keys as its non standardized)
The one I formatted was a 2 portion one had 98 other had xp prof. The xp is what I formatted. At this point it wonít boot from a disk.
Thank You

CreightonBrown
15-05-2005, 06:44 PM
if its the same system you could try another CPU if you want, it may just be the CPU but well its your choice, it could have also had heat issues or other issues elsewhere, that is not for me to say as i am not aware of everything with this system. Perhaps if it was just the CPU overheating that me be the only issue but i cannot confirm that for sure.

CreightonBrown
15-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Even sure is perhaps 'I am thinking its probable enough that i will say sure for short syntax to fufull the statement and not having to explain in details' or similar.

pctek
15-05-2005, 07:16 PM
The fan had gone out,(I'm sure) I wasnt sure if that would cause the CPU unit not to work.
---
You lost me here ;-} (Installing an O/S:I would suggest default config in the BIOS, may be delete, F1 or any other myriad of keys as its non standardized)
The one I formatted was a 2 portion one had 98 other had xp prof. The xp is what I formatted. At this point it wonít boot from a disk.
Thank You
CPU is probably cooked. Get another if you can find one of the same type.

Just press DEL to get into your BIOS (menu) and chnage the boot order to boot from the CD first.
Then boot with your XP CD in.
Then choose new install, delete current partition(s) and recreate one. That way you'll get a clean formatted drive and fresh install.

Yorick
15-05-2005, 10:44 PM
I have an older system that I have changed the power supply before, the computer went down just shut itself off, I thought ok itís the power supply again Iíll change it; itís been in a few years with heavy use. Put a new power supply in and still nothing, lights come on but know ones home. Open the case up found that the CPU fan had fried.

When you say "No-one Home." Can you tell me what's happening. Are you seeing POST (Thats memory check or sometimes just a splash screen) happening on the screen or is there noone home there either.

You lost me here ;-}
(Installing an O/S:I would suggest default config in the BIOS, may be delete, F1 or any other myriad of keys as its non standardized)

What CB is suggesting is that you press a key to go into "setup" to reset your BIOS configuration to "default". Unfortunately there is no standard key to use, it could be F1 or F2 or Del or even F10 etc.

Murray P
15-05-2005, 10:55 PM
It would be handy to know what OS you're using, although pctek mentions XP, I can't see where that is mentioned in your posts.

And, by POST Yorick means when you first start, you should hear a beep in a healthy system as the initial splash screen starts up, memory checks, etc, are done. If your CPU is fried, it will hopefully complain by giving a series of beeps or a long one, depending on who made your BIOS. If there is absolutely no sound or activity on the monitor it may, but not necessarilly, indicate more serious damage.

BTW, is it a socket or a slot type CPU?