PDA

View Full Version : PC freezes randomly only when its cold

adrian_jurke
13-05-2005, 09:29 PM
My PC does not like the cold. If I turn it off at night and the evening is cold the PC will take several attemps to get going. It will freeze at random places, maybe during startup before windows or a little after windows has loaded. I tend to just leave it for 10 minutes then reboot and all seems fine thereafter. I now always do a standby so that the PC stays warm and it is very reliable. Since having this problem I have had a new video card and bigger power supply and a new TV tuner card. Components are ECS L4S8A2 P4 2.4GHZ, 512MB generic memory, Gigabyte Radeon 9550 Soundblaster Live DE 5.1 450W Thermatake Silent power. Compro TV card. I have also run memcheck a few times when cold but not found a problem. Any clues?

somebody
14-05-2005, 08:33 AM
As silly as it may sound, sometimes the cold temperature can affect the components in the computer - exactly how, I'm not quite sure.

mark c
14-05-2005, 09:06 AM
What temperature is 'cold?

Had that happen years ago. We used to put a fan heater at the box for ten minutes. Seems a bit hard to believe but.

Phil B
14-05-2005, 09:19 AM
I had the same fault a couple of years ago. It turned out to be the hard drives way of giving an early failure warning. I had to remove the side & direct a fan heater in the box to warm it up so it would go.

pctek
14-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Dodgy motherboard......

FrankS
14-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Support possibility of dodgy motherboard. Wife running a Win 95 computer that for the past 3 years during bootup from cold refuses for about 80% of the time to connect up the keyboard, at every refusal allow boot to complete then shutdown and reboot for 100% connect of keyboard. Initial changing keyboard and checking connections did'nt make a scrap of difference, pretty sure there is a dodgy item in the motherboard keyboard connection area that needs a minute of gentle heat to coax it into a cooperative mood. Being a geriatric 10 year motherboard one must treat it with respect.

sambaird
14-05-2005, 09:05 PM
MY floppy drive makes a wered sound sometimes wene i turn the computer on and its cold
At lease i hope its the floppy drive

heni72847
14-05-2005, 09:44 PM
my cpu fan makes a werid sound when cold and can't spin up to max speed..
but coz it doesn't spin up to max speed cpu heats up and heats the fan ..
then it runs smoothly and also cools cpu down..

no extra heating needed :D