PDA

View Full Version : Computer is dying

helpmeee
12-05-2005, 09:38 PM
my computer runs normally.. but its recently been dying. black screen, no harddrive activity. i have to turn it off at the wall and remove the power for a few minutes, then everything runs again. does this mean my harddrive is stuffed?

tommy
12-05-2005, 10:38 PM
How old is your computer? It may need a new CMOS battery.

Billy T
12-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Unlikely to be the CMOS battery, once it is up and running you can take the battery out and it will carry on. Probably not the HDD either, it could be the power supply or any one of a number of other things.

Do the power supply and CPU fans keep running when it goes off? Do you get any shutdown error messages when you reboot?

More information may be needed to diagnose this one but you could start by checking that all plugs and sockets are fully engaged. It is not very likely to be that sort of fault but you have to start somewhere.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

gibler
13-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Might be a faulty motherboard with bad capacitors (have a visual check for leaking or bulging capacitors)

You really want to run it with the case side off so you make sure the fans everywhere are working and use something like mbm (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) to check on temperatures as the machine is running (maybe there is a better tool out there now).

If temperatures aren't the problem then investigate the power supply unit (well all you can really do is swap in another one known to be okay and see if the problem goes away).

helpmeee
13-05-2005, 04:55 PM
yeah thanks guys, ill have a look at the capacitors on the motherboard and try a different power supply

d00zer
13-05-2005, 05:04 PM
i say u buy a new one