PDA

View Full Version : 2 Weeks later....Networking for a complete beginer.

Network_Noob
12-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks to everyone who offered advice in my original post. I have now got my XP Pro P/c and the kids 98 SE P/c to the point that they can recognise each other. (Turns out 1 of my brand new net work cards was faulty).
Now the 98 P/c insists that that I need a password to log on to the network. Passwords never came up during the setup of the XP, so I dont know where or how to put 1 in.
Ideally I would like it all just to fire up without a password. But anything that will get me going would be appreciated.

Rob99
12-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Do you mean it asks for a password when you try to access the other computer?

Network_Noob
12-05-2005, 11:06 AM
No, sorry I didn't make myself clear. It wants a password to log on to the network. The password box pops up during startup of the 98 P/c.

Rob99
12-05-2005, 11:15 AM
At a guess I would check the sharing from the XP computer, do you have a mapped network drive? Do you have the option to remember the password?

Network_Noob
12-05-2005, 12:39 PM
At a guess I would check the sharing from the XP computer, do you have a mapped network drive? Do you have the option to remember the password?
I'm a noob, whats a mapped network drive? I've seen something about it during setup, but have no idea what it does. I think I probably have clicked it at some stage.
At no time during the setup of either P/c were passwords mentioned.

Chilling_Silence
12-05-2005, 03:15 PM
It _needs_ to authenticate you... Ideally you want to login to the Win98 PC with a username/password that has a User account on the WinXP PC (Even if the XP PC isnt logged in).

That way File-sharing is authenticated and WILL work :)

So grab the username/password from one of the accounts you use on the XP PC and login to the Win98 box (The details MUST be IDENTICAL and IIRC, there MUST be a password) with it and you should be all peachy for file-sharing.

Chill.

gibler
12-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Read some info here (http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html) about win98 file sharing

Tweakui (http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wtweakui.htm) has an option to save that username and password if you aren't worried about security.

Make sure the share name on the XP machine isn't too long (I think it has to be less than 10 characters).

Learn about mapping drives as you don't want to use the Network Neighbourhood really (it is slow and often unreliable).