PDA

View Full Version : Windows Security Update

DrMD
11-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Security Update for Windows XP (KB893086) will not load. Each time it tries to run, I get the error message:

"Updates were unable to be successfully installed"

I tried to find some advice on the MS site but to no avail. Any ideas?

I am running WXP with SP2 installed and Trend Micro Internet Security.

Appreciate any advice! Thanks,

DrMD

beama
11-05-2005, 11:06 PM
are you trying to use the updating feature built into xp if so try downloading and installing as a seperate package here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=51679BB1-A61B-47AC-A943-F9F306EF987B&displaylang=en)

DrMD
12-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks: I tried that. Then we get an error message which says:

"Setup cannot copy the file update_SP2QFE.inf".

"Copy files from D:\b510bff64f9baf9cd2da13543f00\update"

and offers the option of Browsing. I can browse to the required file but clearly it is not right as it does not copy it. It offers the option:
"Ensure the location specified is correct, or change it and insert 'Windows XP Hotfix Source Files' in the drive you specify"

What does that mean? A download from somewhere else or...?

wotz
12-05-2005, 10:54 PM
A wee hijack if I may - I have a Win XP Home SP2 machine which will not run auto update. Anyone have any idea what to do to make it work?

beama
12-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Ive never seen that one before,
lets try and elminate a few things

you have got sp1 and 2 installed and are trying to get this from the update site

you are logged in as administrator of the pc you are trying to patch

have tried disabling your firewall before installing this patch.

do you use the teatimer element of spybot to monitor spyware activity on your pc or for that matter the mirosoft spyware scanner (they both monitor registry writes and may stop what they consider not good activity, depends on configuration of these utilties)

have you tried to enter the latest error message into google

Myth
12-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Wotz, go to Start>Control Panel> Administarative Tools.
Double click on Computer management then click on Services and Applications in the left menu.
At the right double click on Services, then scroll down to Automatic Updates; double click on it and make sure its set to either manual or automatic (automatic recommended).
Also have a look in Control Panel for the Auto Updates Applet.

mark c
13-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Set the MS Update up against a wall and shoot it full of more holes than those cheapskate dickheads could have ever imageined that coded it.

DrMD
29-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Problem persists and the helpful computer keeps wanting to update, each time resulting in the comment that the update was unsuccessful.

I have used msconfig to load minimal systems and the result is exactly the same.

The most recent bizarre happening was the spontaneous appearance of the "Programme Activation" dialogue, necessitating me ringing MS (In Bangalore!) to get a new 42 digit number.

The error message on manual running of the update is as before:

"Setup cannot copy the file update_SP2QFE.inf".

"Copy files from D:\b510bff64f9baf9cd2da13543f00\update"

and offers the option of Browsing. I can browse to the required file but clearly it is not right as it does not copy it. It offers the option:
"Ensure the location specified is correct, or change it and insert 'Windows XP Hotfix Source Files' in the drive you specify"

Additional thoughts gratefully received! (PS thank you to the guys who spend your time providing this sort of assistance.)