PDA

View Full Version : Something To Look Forward To...

vinref
10-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Every review of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith is positive. I can't wait...

Prescott
11-05-2005, 06:04 PM
meh, ive never been a star wars fan....

Metla
11-05-2005, 06:08 PM
I returned from the viddy store last night clutching the 3 remastered originals, Mrs Metla was less then impressed,muhahahaha.

Hopefully this new one will go some way towards redeeming the last 2,which in my ever humble opinion were just utter utter horse****,a disgrace and an insult.

TonyF
11-05-2005, 06:24 PM
I do hope Jar Jar Binks is not in this latest one....

andrew93
11-05-2005, 06:39 PM
:lol: yeah, so true!

Hopefully this new one will go some way towards redeeming the last 2,which in my ever humble opinion were just utter utter horse****,a disgrace and an insult.

We have to ask ourselves, why were the later Star Wars movies so universally disappointing? Was it because we were not shocked, amazed and so utterly impressed as we were by the original in 1978? (Mind you, when you go back and watch the original it looks pretty cheesy and 'fresh' by today's standards) Or is it because we have been inundated with me-too movies that have equally tried to amaze and impress us to the point of sensory overload where everything is now 'eye candy' and pretty ho hum? Or are we all getting older and harder to impress?

Remember I-Robot, Independence Day and MIB? Weren't they just absolute rubbish? Was it the common actor? I doubt it. Have a look at any movie that has massive pre-release hype - they almost always disappoint. Why? Because our expectations have been built up where we expect the most amazing movie of all time when all we get is something that is not too different to what we have seen before. It's a question of expectations - go into a movie with no expectations, and provided it is not a 'chick flick', then you probably won't be disappointed. Who was disappointed by Batman and all those other super-hero movies? I'll bet most post-tweenagers were. Contrast those movies with the first time you saw Aliens or Die Hard.

My conclusion? Ignore any movie that has pre-release hype that you cannot ignore or get away from. It's the easiest way not to feel disappointed and 'ripped off'.

My 2c

bob_doe_nz
11-05-2005, 09:59 PM
I agree that Ep2 sucked BIG TIME... I mean .. A flying R2D2??????
There are SERIOUS descrepencies with Ep1-2 when compared with the originals

Metla
11-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Its still entirely possible to make great movies, hype or no hype.

The Phantom Menace sucked because they used (overused by a massive amount) a cheap trick to add humour (that being Jar Jar, not only annoying in every way but not at all funny). Under-wrote the 2 Jedi characters, under unitised what should have been one of the best bad guys of all time...that being Darth Maul, we see him a couple times, he looks menacing, next thing you know he is dead. The kid who played Anikan was a terrible actor, absolutely atrocious, and using a "cute" kid is just another cheap trick. The script was bottom dweller craptastic and the story was weak. The story still could have formed the base for a good movie if the rest of the travesties weren't heaped upon it.

The following movie should have been called Star wars of our lives, the script for all characters, the story lines, the acting, all could have come straight from the team who bring day time soaps to TV on a daily basis, there is only one thing worse then drama, bad drama. God it was bad, felt like hours of crap dialogue and poorly thought out love scenes, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle stop Cafe was a more interesting movie, and that about about a bunch of woman gas bagging.

The other thing that bugged me was the battle at the end, they had them all in one place,...so they run at them with light sabres? What the hell? A strategic mind would have dropped a bomb on them, problem solved, or crashed a moon into their planet, not only problem solved but it would make a great spectacle to watch.

Or even better, use a bomb to blow a moon into that planet which throws the planet out of orbit and into the nearest sun. Woohoo....I would pay to see that.

Anyhow, I ramble, but just imagine how good those last 2 Star Wars films could have been if someone like Peter Jackson was behind them....

beama
11-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Or even better, use a bomb to blow a moon into that planet which throws the planet out of orbit and into the nearest sun. Woohoo....I would pay to see that.

That boy is a worry somtimes :D

Tickets on sale now Metla (scalpers rates)

Jams
11-05-2005, 11:16 PM
i liked I-Robot, i think it was wicked.

i dont think i will ever get the starwars movies, i just dont like them, but i have to agree, the special effects on the first 3 were pretty good for that time.

mejobloggs
12-05-2005, 12:07 AM
mmm, Star Wars. I really like the books, as they go into more detail, and more of what the character is thinking etc...

andrew93
12-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Yeah I agree the script was lame and some of the actors could have been cast better (why on earth wasn't Samuel Jackson a bad sabre-toting mofo? That's one bad dude I'm talkin' about and he was some soft spoken goodie 2 shows Jedi Knight, I'm like huh?) but take another look at the original Star Wars someday - as I said it pretty cheesy and for want of a better word, gay. It's easy to look back at the first movie through rose-tinted glasses.

Anyhoo, speaking of bad movies (i.e. Fried Green Tomatoes), who has had the indignity of suffering through that God-awful movie 'The Aviator'? We were about an hour into the movie at the premiere, I turned to a mate and said "I know how they could have made it an hour shorter" and then there was this pathetic scene of whats-her-face being all serious and dramatic (and badly acted) and I laughed out loud at the most serious (and quiet) part of the movie. Not just a snigger, this was a belly-laugh and my mates and I all completely lost it. This guy sitting beside me got up and shifted away - that was the best part of the movie! There's no mystery why it didn't win many (if any) Oscars and no amount of drugs would have made it any better.

But, that's just my 2c. :cool:

Metla
12-05-2005, 12:21 AM
I watched the Original Star Wars last night, I thouroghly enjoyed it, sure its dated but thems the breaks.

Having said that,it was the remastered version,with the added scenes and editing its far better then the original cut, The lamest part was the original trailer for the film...

Watched Return of the Jedi as well, Classic, loved the entire movie, You just cant beat frantic space battles, the struggle as Luke fights the dark side then saves his father from it only to have him die ,Meanwhile we have exploding death stars,and tribal teddybears batteling stormtoopers.All set to one of the best scores to ever grace a movie. I should really buy the soundtrack

woohoo....I might just watch it again.

Strommer
12-05-2005, 12:23 AM

IMDB shows that Jar Jar is listed in the Cast.
IMDB details for the new Star Wars here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121766/combined)

I am sort of a fan of Star Wars, but cannot recall who Jar Jar Binks is - the one with the long floppy ears that acts the fool??? That character was obviously for the kiddies. If film companies insist on pleasing the kiddies, then why oh why don't they release an adult version on DVD so we don't have to endure the silliness?

andrew93
12-05-2005, 12:46 AM
If film companies insist on pleasing the kiddies, then why oh why don't they release an adult version on DVD so we don't have to endure the silliness?
I know I'm taking this out of context but an adult version featuring the 1978 Princess Leia would be worth the DVD price ........ :lol:

Strommer
12-05-2005, 09:51 AM
I know I'm taking this out of context but an adult version featuring the 1978 Princess Leia would be worth the DVD price ........ :lol:

The mind boggles! :eek: :D

zqwerty
12-05-2005, 05:43 PM
If you want to know more about Carrie Fisher read "Postcards From the Edge", a real eye-opener about life in the 70's in high flying circles. She certainly acted well when she played Princess Leia.

zqwerty
12-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Her website is here:

http://www.carriefisher.com/home/home.php

Dannz
12-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Already brought my Tickets for Star Wars: III

bob_doe_nz
12-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Well I'll wait a couple of weeks for it to die down and so I dont have to worry about those REAL "Star Wars Nutters".

mark c
12-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Star Wars is a kid's comic. Only got into the grown-ups slot because of the graphics and the hype. Don't expect anything more and you won't be dissappointtedd. (Can't spell the last word)

Edward
13-05-2005, 10:59 AM
It's not on windowsmedia.com, flag

Strommer
19-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Saw it today. :thumbs: FANTASTIC ! Lucas is a genius.
For me, it was the best of all the Star Wars.
Graphics, music, script, acting, costumes = all superb.
And Jar Jar Binks said nothing, did nothing, and only appeared briefly, thank God.

No spoilers follow...

George Lucas had a cameo, the 1st time ever in the series. He was the blue alien sitting in front while the head councillor/sith guy was watching a weird bubble-sorta-opera. Lucas the blue alien was then asked to leave so Aniken could sit and discuss matters.

Keisha Castle Huges of Whale Rider fame had all of a one second appearance, towards the end.

Other trivia from IMDB:

As of this film, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader has been played by seven different people. David Prowse in the first three films, classified as Episode IV, V, and VI, inside the suit of Darth Vader. James Earl Jones as the voice for all films containing Vader on up. Bob Anderson as the duelist for the fight scenes in The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983). Sebastian Shaw as Anakin Skywalker once Darth Vader's helmet is removed at the end of the "Return of the Jedi" and Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader in Episode II and III. And finally Jake Lloyd in Episode I as a young Anakin Skywalker. Hayden Christensen gained 11 kilograms (24.2 pounds) for this film. He did so by eating six meals a day. This is the first and only Star Wars movie to receive a rating higher than PG. (PG-13) The lightsaber that Obi-Wan uses is the same one used in Star Wars (1977)