PDA

View Full Version : 64-bit is a lot sexier

Strommer
09-05-2005, 09:27 AM
"64-bit is a lot sexier because it is a whole new architecture. It uses memory in a dramatically different way from how 32-bit computing does today."
Read article here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/4521013.stm)

Sexier?! :rolleyes:

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2005, 10:12 AM
And most probably a bit more expensive too :@@:

Unless you're in the states and recently purchased an OEM XP Pro 32 bit version. Where u can trade it in for the 64 bit for free. If its a valid / not pirated version of XP Pro.

Metla
09-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Windows XP Pro 64 is exactly the same price as the 32 bit version.

Not expensive in the slightest.

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2005, 10:23 AM
And how much would that be exactly Metla??

Metla
09-05-2005, 10:27 AM
You want me to tell you the wholesale price of OEM XP Pro?

Not a chance, Best you find the cheapest seller on Pricespy, see how much they sell XP Pro for, they will or at least will be soon selling the 64 bit version for the same price.

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2005, 10:30 AM
No why would I want Pro I use it now.

I was asking bout the 64 bit version, which I cant see around here in NZ.

lol soon yer right in like 5-10 years time.

Metla
09-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Its available now, its on my pricelist, its the exact same price as the 32 bit version, and MS have stated the price is to be the same as the 32 bit version.

Not my fault your comprehension levels are low.

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Yer whatever makes ya happy

Metla
09-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Has nothing to do with what makes me happy, I was merely answering your question, which I did....Twice.

It wouldn't be outside the realm of reality to thank me for doing so,

But, Whatever makes you happy, child.

plod
09-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for answering Metla

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Well, no u didnt actually.

You answered twice with no helpful info whatsoever. It didnt answer my question at ALL kid.

Metla
09-05-2005, 01:49 PM
You can't see the answer?

Really?

lmao.

Shocking. :illogical

Strommer
09-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Hey.... Jen !
Metla forgot to eat his Wheet Bix this morning.... help!

Metla
09-05-2005, 02:51 PM
How so?

The info was that 64bit Windows is available for the same price as 32 bit windows.Already stated that a couple of times.

The answer as to what the specific cost is, Is exactly the same answer as above,look up the cost of XP Pro from your favourite retailer and bingo, thats the cost of XP PRO 64.

If anyone thinks I should be looking up the prices of their favourite reseller then it just ain't gonna happen, Everybody has the same resources as I do for seeing what a products general retail price is,and only they know who their preferred retailer is.

All of which has already been repeated and should be obvious.

Graham L
09-05-2005, 03:34 PM
64-bit is sexier?

I don't want sexy computers. I want computers that work. Sometimes I do get cross with them and use sexual expletives about them.

So they can have a memory space of 2^64, instead of "only" 2^32. I can't afford 4GB of memory. The only thing I can think of which might need more than 4GB of memory is "yet another Microsoft OS".

It has been known for a long time (IBM did the sums in the early 60s when designing the IBM360) that 32 bits is not wide enough for single-precision scientific calculations. But the enormous CDC machines only went to 60 bit words. Perhaps they are planning ahead to be able to handle the US deficit. 32 bits just copes with it at the moment.

memphis
09-05-2005, 07:05 PM
I'll get it when all my games run on 64 bit and it makes a visible difference to them.Not just benchmarks.(I got to see it to belive it) :)

jackrulz
09-05-2005, 08:28 PM
64-bit is sexier?

I don't want sexy computers. I want computers that work. Sometimes I do get cross with them and use sexual expletives about them.

i find most computers sexy, theyre just so good to look at especially the 64s

Edward
09-05-2005, 08:34 PM
So they can have a memory space of 2^64, instead of "only" 2^32. I can't afford 4GB of memory. The only thing I can think of which might need more than 4GB of memory is "yet another Microsoft OS".

Need I remind you of the famous "640k" quote? :rolleyes:

Besides, you may not need more than 4gb now, however there are people in the world (Think graphics designers) who will. Which explains the significance of it.

Strommer
09-05-2005, 09:15 PM
I'll get it when all my games run on 64 bit and it makes a visible difference to them.Not just benchmarks.(I got to see it to belive it) :)

This seems to be the point - whether it is an Apple or MS 'puter: the new version of software will be slow in being available. Apparently it is the gamers who will make it all happen; word processing and web surfing should not be any better on 64 bit.

I asked the manager of a game shop about Sony PS3 and he said that he has been told that graphics will not be hugely different; an improvement but not a quantum leap. BTW, I am not a gamer at all but had read about PS3's new 'supercomputer' chip in New Scientist magazine, then noticed a game shop in Queensgate Lower Hutt so decided to ask.

Metla
09-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Hmmm.....

The next generation consoles will bring graphics to the living room that are on par with todays PC gaming rigs, that is a huge,gigatic leap over the miserable quality served up by the PS2 and the P0xBoX.

Just a pity that televisions in NZ won't be able to display them in there full glory.

And thats ignoring all the retarded hype about the new CPU, Even the PS2 was hyped up as a super computer back in the day.

Elephant
09-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Well, no u didnt actually.

You answered twice with no helpful info whatsoever. It didnt answer my question at ALL kid.

You could have a look here:-

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-software-template.asp?cname=Operating+systems

Strommer
10-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Just a pity that televisions in NZ won't be able to display them in there full glory.

Would a plasma or LCD screen help?