PDA

View Full Version : Orcon delivering someone elses spam to me?

personthingy
08-05-2005, 04:53 PM
I have old addresses that i can no longer use because of the spam factor.
Of note is pugwash@orcon.net.nz

Being vegan i felt the need to set up evolution to eat all the spam for me, so the spam isn't a problem really, but one particular email caught my attention in a "what's going on here?" kind of way. Its addressed not to "pugwash", but to "puppets". At first i thought that it might be BCC pugwash, so i had a look at the headers:

Return-Path: <k'sz6@SolDesign.com>
Received: from c-24-129-214-60.hsd1.fl.comcast.net (c-24-129-214-60.hsd1.fl.comcast.net [24.129.214.60])
by dbmail-mx3.orcon.net.nz (8.13.2/8.13.2/Debian-1) with SMTP id j484AFfl016316;
Sun, 8 May 2005 16:10:18 +1200
Received: by 9OCCGIAR98 with Internet Mail Service (2.5.2653.19)
id <ZC4DXS19>; Sun, 08 May 2005 21:56:34 +0400
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 20:57:34 +0300
To: puppets@orcon.net.nz
Subject: [SPAM] SPAM: check it
Message-Id: <26874654095115.k'sz6@SolDesign.com>
Organization: escape daniel
X-Mailer: Mocosoft Mail service
X-Virus-Scanned: ClamAV version 0.84, clamav-milter version 0.84e on dbmail-mx3.orcon.net.nz
X-Virus-Status: Clean
X-DSPAM-Confidence: 0.8561
X-DSPAM-Probability: 1.0000
X-Spam-Prev-Subject: SPAM: check it
X-Spam-Flag: YES
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.0.3 (2005-04-27) on
flaptop.something.net.nz
X-Spam-Level: *****
X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=5.6 required=5.0 tests=BAYES_50,HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR
autolearn=no version=3.0.3
X-Spam-Report:
* 4.1 HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (IP addr 1)
* 1.6 BAYES_50 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60%
* [score: 0.5025]
X-UID:
X-Status: NPC
X-KMail-EncryptionState:
X-KMail-SignatureState:
X-KMail-MDN-Sent:

{EDIT}Spammer invites me come come to a website and buy drugs man :p {/EDIT}

So whats going on here? Are Orcon dumping puppets mail into pugwashes box or have i missed something?

gibler
08-05-2005, 06:41 PM
My guess is that you aren't seeing the Blind Carbon Copy header that includes your email address or an alias to it.

I've seen a similiar thing happen where I work.

Spam is span, it doesn't matter how it shows up. Delete, delete it :thumbs:

godfather
08-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Thats very common with spam, most of mine has someone else in the "to:" field as well, but will have had my address in the "bcc:" field. It's just that the bcc address does not show in the headers.

Fortunately 99% of the spam is on a disposable address on Orcon.

personthingy
08-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Spam is span, it doesn't matter how it shows up. Delete, delete it :thumbs:Thats why i set up evolution to pick up my junk and ignore it for me. Every now and then i go to the "TRASH - junk@millerton.co.nz" inbox, which is where i have all my "spammed to death" email diverted to, and delete them in mass.

i like the idea of diverting spam rather than bouncing it as i have a theory that if i take lots of spam that never gets seen by human eyes, then that helps to devalue the data bases and effectiveness of spamming in general. Anything sent to chris@millerton.co.nz pugwash@orcon.net.nz or junk@millerton.co.nz is just not read. (Bots, feel free to devalue your databases with those addresses!)

I'd probably just be lazy and delete pugwash@orcon.net.nz, but i'm afraid id take www.pugwash.orcon.net.nz down with it. Pugwash the dog would never forgive me for that! :D

bob_doe_nz
08-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Ever tried contacting Orcon?
I'm sure they would respond to their email being used as spam swiftly

personthingy
08-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Ever tried contacting Orcon?
I'm sure they would respond to their email being used as spam swiftlyI was the one who was silly enough to let the wrong person know my email address. By simply getting evolution to eat the spam, the problem is solved. If i contact Orcon about pugwash@orcon.net.nz, i fear putting www.pugwash.orcon.net.nz at risk. Thats not a biggy really, but........

All my spam comes through certain addresses which i let the wrong person know about. These addresses are now all diverted to junk@millerton.co.nz and therefore don't get dealt with by me having to read them. Problem solved. :)

Mantis
09-05-2005, 11:17 AM
On a side note...

When I signed up for my free lifetime email address at orcon, within minutes of creating the account and before I had given the address out or even sent an email I already had 3 or 4 spam emails in my inbox :@@:

This has also happened with a few other email providers...

Orcon however are great! and I find there help desk extremely helpful!

Just another email experence...

M.

personthingy
09-05-2005, 12:22 PM
On a side note...

When I signed up for my free lifetime email address at orcon, within minutes of creating the account and before I had given the address out or even sent an email I already had 3 or 4 spam emails in my inbox :@@:
As a matter of interest, was your user name a predictable one, like John or something?
I have 2 other Orcon addresses, both usernames are human friendly words, but neither get any spam@all. :D

Mantis
09-05-2005, 01:34 PM
As a matter of interest, was your user name a predictable one, like John or something?
I have 2 other Orcon addresses, both usernames are human friendly words, but neither get any spam@all. :D

I actually have two email address' with orcon.. A free one which I have wrote about above and a paid one which has yet to have a piece of spam delivered yet.

(By the way the paid for web address is fantastic!)

The name of the address was by no means commonly used words...

M.