PDA

View Full Version : Sony/Toshiba/Dell Laptops

dodge2005
07-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I am planning on buying a new laptop.

Looking at one having DVD burner and also CD burner(Is this combo available though?). And screen to be at least 15inch. Prefer Centrino or as long as as gives me all the wireless connection. And graphics card to be decent enough to play a game once in a while.

I had look at Toshiba Website and got some good info on the various categories they have for laptop. Sony on the other hand was less descriptive on their products But they do have a showroom in Newmarket which i will go to sometime today. Is there a similar showroom for Toshiba?

Does anyone have any opinions on which is better - Sony or Toshiba or even Dell but i dont think Dell is up there. Just from performance/ease of use/features point of view. Any experiences someone has had with these laptops? Also are their Warranty valid outside NZ.

I am planning on spending up to $4000 so i want it to last me for at least 5 years I hear on LCD screens loosing the sharpness/color etc with time. Which of these brands is better in this area? And buying a laptop with these specs - will this laptop be able to run comfortably on the new Longhorn windows coming out.

Also having a Sony Digital Camera and Sony laptop - does this combination make easier on connecting camera to laptop and downloading/performace stuff etc.

Thanks for any Comments :)

Metla
07-05-2005, 01:51 PM
None of em.

I would recomend an Asus laptop, if you want to see em in action then DSE have then on display, though their range tends to be crippled hardware wise so i would look closeley at the specs before going any futher, Though if the price is right and the specs are good enough then....

as to Centrino and games, the extra power requirments of a worthwhile video chipset cause the units the fall outside of the Centrino specs, but you can still get a unit that has good battery life, uses the Pentium M cpu and has a grunter of a video card...such as the ASUS W3000N,

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=W3000N%20Series&langs=01#

It also depends on what games you want to run, most laptops will run 2D games no problem, but you will need something like the 9700m Pro chipset to run modern games at an acceptable level.

No matter which brand or model you get, Make sure you get 512mb of ram,or even 1g if you intend to run Longhorn

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Any DVD burner can burn cd's and dvds. Not worth having a combo of the 2.

Since the DVD burner can do both.

Can't say much as I've never had a laptop.

The digital cam u have, is this a digital cam or a digital video camera? If its a digital video camera, the laptop would need at least USB2 or a firewire port.

If the camera has a built in firewire port.

dodge2005
07-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks Metla/Speedy

I had heard about Asus fromt few friends. But i am not sure as they i think are new to the laptop market (from what i was told it was 3 years). But i know they make good motherboards so i can assume they do the same for laptops.

Oops didnt know dvd burners burnt CD's. So thats good.
I dont have a didital cam yet but more likely on buying Canon S70 than a Sony DSCP200S. I ams till comparing review/opinions on this one so thats another story. And if i will get Canon then just wondering if Sony Laptop may behave differently towards a non sony camera.

thanks

isdtech
07-05-2005, 02:28 PM
You have got to be Kidding comparing Asus to mainstream laptops!

Check the warranty and support options carefully before putting down your hard earned $

Portables plus in Penrose have HP and Toshiba laptops on show.Or Harvey Norman- they have a huge range of all the major players.

Rob99
07-05-2005, 02:45 PM
I pointed my brother to an ASUS at DSE, it is fantastic, global warrenty included.

Also after looking through msconfig there wasent much crap to turn off, also came with an origional XP Pro CD.

plod
07-05-2005, 02:48 PM
I am planning on buying a new laptop.

Looking at one having DVD burner and also CD burner(Is this combo available though?). And screen to be at least 15inch. Prefer Centrino or as long as as gives me all the wireless connection. And graphics card to be decent enough to play a game once in a while.

I had look at Toshiba Website and got some good info on the various categories they have for laptop. Sony on the other hand was less descriptive on their products But they do have a showroom in Newmarket which i will go to sometime today. Is there a similar showroom for Toshiba?

Does anyone have any opinions on which is better - Sony or Toshiba or even Dell but i dont think Dell is up there. Just from performance/ease of use/features point of view. Any experiences someone has had with these laptops? Also are their Warranty valid outside NZ.

I am planning on spending up to $4000 so i want it to last me for at least 5 years I hear on LCD screens loosing the sharpness/color etc with time. Which of these brands is better in this area? And buying a laptop with these specs - will this laptop be able to run comfortably on the new Longhorn windows coming out.

Also having a Sony Digital Camera and Sony laptop - does this combination make easier on connecting camera to laptop and downloading/performace stuff etc.

Thanks for any Comments :)
what are yor plans for it? Is battery life an issue or is it a desktop replacement?
The Sony's are great but a bit pricey compared to asus, running a non sony camera on a sony laptop won't matter at all.

Metla
07-05-2005, 03:54 PM
You have got to be Kidding comparing Asus to mainstream laptops!

Check the warranty and support options carefully before putting down your hard earned $

Portables plus in Penrose have HP and Toshiba laptops on show.Or Harvey Norman- they have a huge range of all the major players.

Are you saying Asus are lesser then HP,Dell etc etc? ( I find it hard to comprehend that even the ignorant would make such a statement)

If so then I would love to hear the logic behind such a statement, Asus after all build high quality, high performance gear backed up with a 2 year global warrenty.They built their legacy on such principles.

plod
07-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Are you saying Asus are lesser then HP,Dell etc etc? ( I find it hard to comprehend that even the ignorant would make such a statement)

If so then I would love to hear the logic behind such a statement, Asus after all build high quality, high performance gear backed up with a 2 year global warrenty.They built their legacy on such principles.
A word from the ignorant, I know of two people with Asus laptops nothing wrong with them, they would be my choice if i wasn't looking at a powerbook