PDA

View Full Version : Are u faster than me ? :confused:

ahd8888
06-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi, I really confused. :confused:

I know computer thing is growing very fast. Always something new come up, new chipset, more powerful Intel or AMD processor chip, latest motherboard, fastest graphic card, more and biggest size ram....never end.

But how do u keep up with this fast growing technology. I can't as I don't have M$. Can u?

2 years ago, I wanted to buy Intel 1.7Ghz, but I didn't. Half a year later, 2.4Ghz came out. I didn't buy it as I need money for car. Another half a year again, Intel came out 3.0.....3.6ghz, LGA775 530....640...840..or dual core processor.

Do their performance really boost that much? Say is 3.2Ghz with HT same performance as LGA775 (540) or (640)? Is 3.0Ghz really faster than 3.2Ghz?

is dual channel of 2 sticks of 512Mb DDR2 ram same performance as one stick of 1024Mb DDR2 ram?

is 128Mb PCI-Express X16 same performance as 256Mb "not PCI-Express X16" ?

May be the performance is not much different. But one think for sure, their price is not.

If u think yr computer is powerful enough, think again. Someone may be even powerful b'cos there is always new technology.

Thank you for reading. :@@:

Metla
06-05-2005, 06:06 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/

plod
06-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Its not a question of are you faster then me but is it fast enough for myself. As soon as you buy it they have just made the next version faster. Upgrading for the sake of having the fastest is a mugs game only played by the rich and the inadequit
This goes for all aspects of computing and most of life

wotz
06-05-2005, 07:05 PM
2 years ago, I wanted to buy Intel 1.7Ghz, but I didn't.

Yesterday I wanted to upgrade my almost 6 year old PC, but I didn't.

pctek
06-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Its not a question of are you faster then me but is it fast enough for myself. As soon as you buy it they have just made the next version faster. Upgrading for the sake of having the fastest is a mugs game only played by the rich and the inadequit
This goes for all aspects of computing and most of life
Well I've upgraded. I look at it as keeping up to speed with the new technology. Or is it because I could? Not that it's the fastest.
As for being rich - well I suppose they can afford it so why not?

the highlander
06-05-2005, 07:30 PM
My main rig is a 3.0 sk 478 P4 overclocked to 3.6 The cpu and mobo are over a year old. I used to regularly upgrade every 8-10 months as cpu speeds increased and new tech arrived. I can't see any reason to upgrade for quite a while and I can afford to. Sure I upgrade components but not the core system. It does everything I want, its still competitive and If I really feel the need for more speed/posing value I'll wind her up some more with some improved cooling.

Myth
06-05-2005, 08:47 PM
My main rig is a 3.0 sk 478 P4 overclocked to 3.6 The cpu and mobo are over a year old. I used to regularly upgrade every 8-10 months as cpu speeds increased and new tech arrived. I can't see any reason to upgrade for quite a while and I can afford to. Sure I upgrade components but not the core system. It does everything I want, its still competitive and If I really feel the need for more speed/posing value I'll wind her up some more with some improved cooling.Hmmm
My 2 - 3 year old Socket 478 P4 is still up to scratch :D
The only thing that really lets the performance down is the not-so-hot MSI mobo and the 64MB Graphix card :D

Does what I want, and it will do so for at least another year.

Poppa John
06-05-2005, 08:53 PM
I was in the same position as you, way back. I went up to the Papatoetoe computer shop & spoke to the Boss. His advice then is much the same as on this thread. Things "Improve" so quickly that if you wait, you will never have a computer at all. I bit the bullet & bought,from him, the fastest 2nd hand comp I could afford. With W98se. It was agood "learning M/c" for me. Now the one I have is bigger, better & faster. Just got to do something about the RAM & then this will be the last computer I will ever have. (Sorry Metla!!!).

So my advice is to get the best you can afford NOW, & let the future look after itself. PJ :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

piva
06-05-2005, 09:23 PM
The advice you have just received is great.
A few years ago an antenna modeling program I use showed a box saying " now calculating please wait".. I would go and get a coffee.!. Now I get the coffee before I set it going as it only flashes on the screen. Unless you need the most super high speed machine for some reason - they went to the moon with computers around 1/100th of the present power. Get what you can afford and dont wait..
Cheers
Piva

Metla
07-05-2005, 05:09 PM
ahh....sweet sweet power.

My system was built based on value for money,bang for your buck rather then trying for the latest and greatest anything.

Currently downloading a torrent, ftp software is downloading as well, im burning a DVD,compressing 6.5 gig of data,browsing the web,and have 25 or so windows open. With no slowdown appart for my casual tasks while the system is under load from everything else.

Im itching to push it over the edge and fire up Doom3 as well but that might be just getting silly.

gibler
07-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Realistically, I feel that PC performance (apart from gaming) has become a non-issue for most people.

Something like a Pentium 3 1 GHz and 512 MB of RAM is just fine.

I only feel like the need to upgrade when I find a game that doesn't run consistently well at 800 by 600. Hasn't happened for a while, even with Doom 3 (P4 3 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 9800 Pro). I just aim for something in the mid-price range. There is no point spending an extra $200 for a 3.2 GHz versus a 3 GHz CPU for example.

Don't judge by specifications alone - look at the real life benchmarks.

Many non-gamers and linux people I know have PCs that are quite old these days. They spend their money on other things.

Buy a good screen with the extra money you save. I know the crazy people who buy SLI setups too - they would cry if they look on Pricespy about 6-12 months later on. :2cents:

Renmoo
08-05-2005, 12:43 AM
is dual channel of 2 sticks of 512Mb DDR2 ram same performance as one stick of 1024Mb DDR2 ram?

A single stick of 1GB DDR2 RAM performs faster and better than 2 512MB DDR2 RAM. Not too sure of the reason, though.

Cheers :)

Metla
08-05-2005, 11:36 AM
using dual channel motherboad with dual channel enabled (2x identical stick of ram) will give better performance then one stick alone.

the reason is that the comp can access the 2 sticks at the same time, without dual channel enabled the comp just see's it has a bunch of ram,just like if you had 1 stick installed.

is the speed increase noticible in real world use?

nope.

But some are happier knowing they have sqeezed a little extra perforane from thir rig.And it doesn't cost anything.

Kindel
08-05-2005, 06:12 PM
also, the speed of the ram itself (bus speeds or clock speeds etc) has an effect

ahd8888
09-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Thank you guys for all yr input. I feel sorry for those people who don't know anything about computer and went to buy their first computer. They paid $2000 bucks more or less, thinking that they have a good computer. Let ask some of yr cousins and friends who just bought a computer that if they know what the different between Intel Pentium and Celeron, between AMD Athlon and Duron. There is lots of daddy and mum like that. I saw lots of computer retailer trying to tell people that they have a very good deal computer with X.X Ghz , they never tell u celeron is not that fast. Some people even use a very cheap and not reliable power supply, cheap motherboard, cheap..... Use it after 5 years, u will then know u bought the wrong thing. What u do with that if u want a new computer? I know, tell yr parents that u love them and u are giving yr computer to them. Just kidding.

On the other hand, I feel sorry for those people who know about computer and build their own computer. U spend lots of time and money building yr dream machine. U find it is not up to speed and u upgrade it. U have spend that much money on it, but then it end up like a piece of junk that couldn't upgrade any more. What do u do, keep it, dump it or sell it. How much ?
May be for some they don't really care. Oh, ya. Transfer some $ to me then, here is my bank detail 38-9003-020468300. I could use some help.

Blah... blah.. I wrote too much, didn't I. Well, I like to hear some comments or express their feeling like I felt about this world.

By the way, I love my wife and my mother. Happy Mother's Day to them.

memphis
09-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I hope that was a made up bank account no. :eek: Otherwise go and change it as this is not good telling the world,crooks,bad people,hackers etc,

As for computer research,read,research,ask heaps.

keep old one for spare,linux or for kids/other half to use for internet/homework/games, etc.

And keep the best one for gaming and only upgrade that when new games cant run good on it. :)

And spend the money on other stuff,(bills) :groan:

Nomad
09-05-2005, 09:16 PM
The same as any consumer good really .. clothes, food, shoes, car.

Do I need 4 pairs of shoes, 4 suits, parties at night, a 3L or 4L petrol car? I could go 1.3 or 1.6 and be it with diesel or a hybrid. Pizza orderings .. food can be cooked v quickly, most times quicker than the pizza be delivered. Or yes the coffee business....

We have a 200Mhz PC and a P3 600 laptop. Not sure if I need a better one if at all its for games.

Do we really need a computer at all? Sure it makes life easier but is it essential after coming back from work?