PDA

View Full Version : Install hard drive in dvd machine

B B
05-05-2005, 10:27 PM
I have several dvd players at home,one of which recently crapped out,I have fixed the problem but while I was working on the machine,I happened to notice that it uses a standard IDE interface and normal 4 wire computer type power connecter,so I wondered - what if I put in a hard drive with my DVD movies on it? has anyone done this at all??or is it one of those"pain in the arse "things that gets put in the "too hard" basket.

george12
07-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Cool idea, but it wouldn't work.

The interfacing of hard drives and CD-ROM drives are slightly different, and the DVD player won't be able to use the HDD.

Hardware is very similar, but the DVD players microprocessor doesn't have instructions capable of reading a hard drive.

Kind of like the reason a CD player can't play a data CD full of MP3s. Same thing (CD) but it doesn't have code to play MP3s.

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Cool idea, but it wouldn't work.

Kind of like the reason a CD player can't play a data CD full of MP3s. Same thing (CD) but it doesn't have code to play MP3s.

Well some cd players can play MP3's. Even external ones on a stereo, like the one I use here.

plod
07-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Well some cd players can play MP3's. Even external ones on a stereo, like the one I use here.
Yes but thats a mp3 player, not a cd player.

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Yes but thats a mp3 player, not a cd player.

Wrong.

The stereo I have plays MP3 cd's, audio cd's, dvd's, videocds as well. Multi format. And WMA, and also plays Hi-mat cd's.

pheonix
07-05-2005, 10:18 AM
The answer to the original posters question is no. A service friend of mine even tried another PC DVD player, but it didn't work. It appears that the electronics onboard the unit are fixed to that model or the firmware of the PC type DVD player itself.

plod
07-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Wrong.

The stereo I have plays MP3 cd's, audio cd's, dvd's, videocds as well. Multi format. And WMA, and also plays Hi-mat cd's.
And that would make it a dvd player not a cd player.

Metla
07-05-2005, 11:18 AM
The stereo in the Metla wagon plays mp3 cd's....

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2005, 12:14 PM
And that would make it a dvd player not a cd player.

Wrong again!

As I said, its Multi format.

It plays anything, including DVD's I burn. DVD- and +

Of course it plays CD's.

You can't put anything else in it if it isn't on a cd can you?

If you dunno what ya talking about, don't bother replying.

Rob99
07-05-2005, 01:55 PM
You might be to young to know, but back in my day we only had CD players they would only play music CD's, you couldent put MP3's onto it and expect it to work.

mark c
10-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey B B what don't you make a translator of some sort to re-configure the data from the incoming DVD head signal into one that will be written onto a HD? Maybe a translator program or a bit of hardware. I don't have the expertise to try it.

Maybe on the other hand you can just buy a PVR. I think that's what it is, takes in a digital signal (TV, optical drives, floppies,) and writes it to a HD. Ideal for recording TV programs. :2 cents

mark c
10-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Hey B B what don't you make a translator of some sort to re-configure the data from the incoming DVD head signal into one that will be written onto a HD? Maybe a translator program or a bit of hardware. I don't have the expertise to try it.

Maybe on the other hand you can just buy a PVR. I think that's what it is, takes in a digital signal (TV, optical drives, floppies,) and writes it to a HD. Ideal for recording TV programs. :mad: