PDA

View Full Version : Cant see pictures etc in word/excell

Jackie
05-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I have a new notebook with Office 2003. When I paste a picture or object into Excel or Word the don't show on the screen. They are there if you change the order or alter properties, but when you reopen the document they are invisable again. They will also print out fine even if they are not showing up on the screen?

Speedy Gonzales
05-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Try using the insert picture option in word, not paste the pic. It might or should bring up the picture.

Jackie
05-05-2005, 05:34 PM
It's not just pictures.

If I insert a line in word, then scroll down the page so the inserted object is out of veiw, then scroll back up, it is gone. I am still able to click on it and then if I change the colour it is visable again?

Jackie
06-05-2005, 07:52 AM

johnboy
06-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Have a look at this page to see if it helps.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrwGrphcs/InvisibleGraphics.htm
hth

Jackie
06-05-2005, 10:26 AM
No didnt help...........

If I draw a line in Excel it will not appear. I am able to select the line however and change the colour to black. This makes the line show in my document. If I then scroll the page down so the line is out of veiw, then scroll back up the page line has gone and I have to repeat the prosess of changing the colour again. :badpc:

Parry
06-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Sounds very odd Jackie. It's as if there is insufficient memory available so the screen is not re-drawing properly. Do you have a large number of apps open or background processes? You may have to look in the task manager to see whats running. In Word some types of images are not displayed correctly (you may see a big red X placeholder) unless you are in Print Layout view.

odyssey
06-05-2005, 01:10 PM
I too have had this problem on my work PC with word 2002 where the pictures do not display or only display after the screen is resized (e.g. when switching the task pane on or off) - which to me would indicate a refresh or a driver problem. But the wierd thing is that it is intermittent too. The IT people at my work had a look and did all the normal things like replacing normal.dot and some of standard include templates which sort of temporarily fixed it. However I have found that when it does happen, if I close word and other applications (typically IE) and then reopen word it will display pictures again. Not much help but I can sympathise with what you are going through as it is extremely frustrating!

Jen
06-05-2005, 05:57 PM
My work machine does this as well (XP + Office) occasionally. Often the display issue shows up when working with tables and a horizontal section of the table will become invisible if you scroll up and down. Going to a different page and then coming back again results in the table displaying correctly. I've also heard that it is related to graphic drivers. Being a business machine, it is onboard graphics sharing not much RAM to start with.

How much RAM does the laptop have?

thepom
06-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Can I suggest you look for the latest video driver for you laptop. Install this. Reboot.Then try again.

Cameronb2
14-05-2005, 10:48 PM
I too have the same problem where I can no longer see pictures in Word 2002. I recently upgraded my desktop to Office 2002 and now the pictures in my docs don't display. I have a 1GB RAM + 256MB video RAM, so I'm certain its not the hardware. I thought it may have been the upgrade from 2000, so I uninstalled 2000/2002 completely and just put a fresh install of 2002 on. Same result. I have 2002 on my laptop and it works fine.

If I select the pic and move it a fraction it will show. It will print ok, but just can't be seen without touching it. Did anyone find a solution?

Gotta love Microsoft. They probably get the most money from each PC user than any other vendor, and yet their support is the worst. No wonder Bill has so much money!

Thanks
Cam

johnboy
15-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Have a look at the fixes in this mskb.

Pictures or other objects do not appear in a Word document
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285957
hth

Cameronb2
16-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Thank you johnboy

None of the software options worked, but the pictures returned when I reduced my hardware acceleration down by three levels on my Radeon 9600 XT graphics card. There are many other Radeon settings in there, so perhaps there is less intrusive fix too. I will have a play with some other settings when I get more time.

At least I have a fix for now. Thanks very much for your help.

Cam