PDA

View Full Version : No Boot- MOBO or Graphics perhaps?

J ZEP
03-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi all, a friend gave one of his old systems to his G/daughter and now she is wanting to use it, as it hasn't been used yet apparently, however...

Its a PC Direct Discovery 690, 128mb RAM, he says it has had things changed over the years (I presume they added the ram), thats about all i can tell of it for now - plus the FDD doesn't appear to work, however it has 2 other opt. drives - a dvd drive and a cdwriter. OS is win 2000pro i am told. I have found the mobo is a Micro-Star MS 6147, which has intergrated/onboard grahics of course :rolleyes:.

Imfo on MOBO Here (http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/ErgoPro/ErgoPro-eDeT/eDX1-2-MB-BIOS.htm)

The Problem is it won't boot - nothing on monitor at all. I have tried it on different monitors, just to rule that out, also tried changing the RAM "just in case" as well, both to no avail...

There are no POST beeps at all? It powers up with the lights working and appears to check both op. drives, then just nothing.
I am thinking that perhaps the onboard graphics or the mobo are the problem?

So if anybody can lend an opinion or any ideas to try, i would really appreciate it thanks ;). Would a dead HDD do this? I presume i would still have something on the screen were that the case? Also as it only has PCI slots i would have to get hold of a PCI graphics card to test it with, is there any type in paticular if i could get one?

Anyway any opinions or ideas appreciated please :help:

Graham L
03-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Maybe the onboard video is disabled. Have a good ook for a jumper. ;) The no-beeps is suspicious, but speakers aren't always plugged in. Sometimes they just don't work :). Absence of a working video (or video ram) will probably upset the POST.

The HD is checked fairly late in the POST. The motor starts earlier (that is probably what gives the activity light flash early on).

chiefnz
04-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi J ZEP a better link for you mobo can be found here (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=108)

If you haven't tried it already I suggest clearing the CMOS and see if that gets your video on. Most likely the onboard video had been disbaled as Graham L has just stated above. This will also negate the need to get a PCI graphics card if it does actually give you a picture after the CMOS is cleared.

There is also a BIOS update (1.8) if you have a previous BIOS I recommend you upgrade to the latest version (only after you have sorted the no video on POST problem)

Download and read the manuals too.

cheers

chiefnz

J ZEP
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Hi Graham & Chiefnz, i was able to download a good manual for the mobo yesterday, which gave me a bit more imfo on things etc...
So i tried:-
Checking the onboard graphics jumper, that was enabled.
Also checked the jumper for the speaker (as no POST beeps), that was o.k, so i guess the actual speaker could be kaput?
As a long shot, i thought of what Chiefnz had suggested also (clearing cmos), so cleared that and i actually tried another battery too, all to no avail...

So i am thinking that i will need to get a pci graphics card to know for sure if its that or the mobo. I guess i will have a ring around some of the local shops and see if they have any second hand ones perhaps, to try with first...
I don't really know alot about PCI graphics cards as i have only used AGP ones.
Has anybody got any suggestions on the kind of PCI graphics card i should look for?

wintertide
04-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Try reseating the CPU - sounds like it isn't even getting to the stage where it can test video.

J ZEP
04-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Try reseating the CPU - sounds like it isn't even getting to the stage where it can test video.

:eek:, Thanks for the suggestion wintertide, to be honest i have never installed a cpu before, so reseating one will be a new experience for me... Do you still think i should try it? :D.
Also the cpu fan on the side is working, but i presume that would be more power reliant wouldn't it?

Cheers

Graham L
04-05-2005, 02:40 PM
You don't have to do anythiing exciting to reseat the CPU. There's a lever beside the socket, which is lightly sprung under a latch to hold it down. Ease it sideways to release it and lift it up. That moves the top plate of the socket to take to force off all the pins. Hold the top of the CPU down and move the lever back down,and persuade it under the latch again. All done. All this applies to the CPUs which are in a square socket. If you've got a PII in the long casing, it's in a linear socket on the motherboard. That has a couple of latches holding it down. Just release those and ease it up, then down again. You don't need to remove it completely.

Any PCI card will do to test. The POST uses the simplest text standard. They should be cheap these days.

J ZEP
04-05-2005, 03:11 PM
You don't have to do anythiing exciting to reseat the CPU. There's a lever beside the socket, which is lightly sprung under a latch to hold it down. Ease it sideways to release it and lift it up. That moves the top plate of the socket to take to force off all the pins. Hold the top of the CPU down and move the lever back down,and persuade it under the latch again. All done. All this applies to the CPUs which are in a square socket. If you've got a PII in the long casing, it's in a linear socket on the motherboard. That has a couple of latches holding it down. Just release those and ease it up, then down again. You don't need to remove it completely.

Any PCI card will do to test. The POST uses the simplest text standard. They should be cheap these days.

Cheers Graham, its nice to have somebody to reassure me :). I have been reading through the Mobo manual which gave instructions on how to put the CPU in and was starting to think that reseating it may not be to big a deal. I guess i will give it a try, fingers crossed.

J ZEP
04-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Well you guys deserve a big thanks :) - really appreciate your help greatly!

I reseated the CPU, it was a rather timely exercise, main reason being the Retention cap wouldn't come off, (which was why i was a little hesitant, as i couldn't work out what it was exactly holding or doing till i looked in the manual). I just couldn't get the leverage to unclip it at one end cause it was so close to the casing...
Anyway i reseated it easy as, which is great, another thing learned ;) (also I put the old cmos batt. back in, but removed it during the reseating) and then when i rebooted i could see the monitor pick up the signal and it gave a beep also, so i knew i was off to a good start, lol.

So it seems to be all o.k, however i haven't been able to get into the user account yet as the g/daughter has password protected it, so just got to get that off her now, knowing my luck its been that long since she has used it that she will have forgotten, lol.

Anyway Wintertide and Graham, couldn't have done it without your knowledge, most appreciated, not to mention saved buying a graphics card for nothing....

As a side note... what would cause the CPU to come unseated? Any ideas?

Cheers Guys :)

Overdrive_5000
04-05-2005, 07:08 PM
You could always restart into safe mode and login as admin and reset the password if u wanted 2

J ZEP
04-05-2005, 08:26 PM
You could always restart into safe mode and login as admin and reset the password if u wanted 2

Of course, thanks Overdrive_5000, should have thought of that one. Worked fine :).