PDA

View Full Version : PCI Wireless Board Install on Compaq Deskpro 3

Billmclarty
03-05-2005, 07:00 AM
I have tried installing a Planet WL-8313 PCI wireless board on a Compaq Deskpro Pentium 3 500Mhz but to no avail. Windows XP does not find the new hardware, and I am unsure as to how to make it find it?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

plod
03-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Any driver disc supplied? driver on website?

Billmclarty
03-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Yes - the board came with a driver that I installed (as per instructions) prior to installing the board. I'm not sure if the PCI slots are active though - how would I find out?

Murray P
03-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Check in Device Manager that the driver is being used (yellow exclamation mark), if not click Change and browse to where you installed it. If It's not working, it should have a red disc next to it, or you could use SiSoft Sandra or some such to look at the hardware and software environment.

Billmclarty
03-05-2005, 08:55 AM
I checked in device Manager, but did not see a driver (or any driver for that matter). What area should I be looking in? I can't seem to find PCI (other than PCI Bus) on the device manager - is there a configuration that I need to do?

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2005, 09:08 AM
I've answered in the other post u posted. You posted the same thing twice.

If the hardware wizard didn't come up, i would try another PCI slot. See if it does anything.

Billmclarty
03-05-2005, 09:25 AM
No the found new hardware did not work - I've tried all 4 PCI slots. Used SiSoft Sandra and it seems that I only have one PCI working??? Or at least that is what it seems - is there a way to enable the others?

I did try in the one that had an ethernet board 10/100. But it did not work there either. I did not uninstall the ethernet though... (Not sure how or where to do it)...

Billmclarty
03-05-2005, 09:34 AM
I found this on the Planet website - I have determined through SiSoft Sandra that my PCI is Version 2.1 - so anyone knows what that means with respect to the following?

Q46: Why I cannot install my WL-8313 on some M/Bs such as AOpen MX59 Pro II or Gigabyte GA-5AA?
WL-8313 is compliant with the PCI V2.2 standard (voltage output @ 3.3V). Some old model motherboards, especially those for Intel Pentium, Pentium II, AMD K6, K6-II, K6-III or Cyrix M5, M6 processors, provide only PCI V2.0 slots (voltage output @ 5V) that cannot be supported by WL-8313. Therefore, please verify the specification of the PCI slots of your motherboard before installing the WL-8313

Murray P
03-05-2005, 10:08 AM
That suggests your PCI is compatible.

Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button, in Device Maager expand the + next to Netwrok Adapters. Is your card listed there? If so, double click, > Driver tab > Update Driver button > Browse to your CD. If it does not automatically search for the driver, look for an .inf file, probably in a Windows, NT, 2ooo or XP folder.

Doe you have a Wireless Link icon in Control Panel? The Properties button on the Hardware tab should take you to the same place as in Device Manager but, if the driver has not installed it will be inactive or greyed out.

Billmclarty
04-05-2005, 08:33 AM
I still am not able to see the hardware - I did as you suggested, but there is nothing in the device manager.

The PC is a Compaq Deskpro EN Series Pentium III 500 Mhz - I've been told to upgrade the BIOS and main board drivers but I'm unsure as to "to what". System ROM Date is 02/10/99, System ROM Family is 686T3 and system board revision is 18.

ANy suggestions??

wuppo
12-05-2005, 12:38 AM
I found this on the Planet website - I have determined through SiSoft Sandra that my PCI is Version 2.1 - so anyone knows what that means with respect to the following?

3.3 Volt support was optional in PCI ver 2.1, and became a requirement in Ver 2.2, so your mobo may not support the wireless card.